Kia ora from NZ

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by CaptainNemo, Jun 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CaptainNemo

CaptainNemo Avatar

Hi everyone!

I remember being EXTREMELY excited back in 2016 when I saw that Lord British was working on a new game. Learned how to spell with the old Sierra adventure games on the large floppy disks and had my first taste of 'online play' with Westwood Chat. That was, ostensibly, created for the purposes of finding C&C or Red Alert matches, but we ended up using it as a word-based MMORPG with a Star Wars theme...

UO was the first real MMORPG for me, and it was also the last. Played it from T2A, through Renaissance, but it sort of dropped off my radar as I played less and less during High School. Had some really great in-game friends and 'friends IRL' with whom I would join up and go on adventures. I remember being so excited with my sandstone house built west of Britannia in Felucca on Great Lakes. My main adventurer used a poisoned kryss, and my ‘mule’ enjoyed mining off his boat.

My last moment of gameplay was while mining from my boat. Got PK’d and was MILES away from any town. I got so frustrated and sad that I didn’t sign in again for weeks – probably months. At that point I was sure my house had decayed and that I would have lost everything. So my account sort of just melted away.

Seeing SOTA pop up on a news feed in 2016, I got back into UO for a very brief spell on a player-run shard. It was a little too empty though – which is generally fine for me as I really enjoy just grinding and crafting, but without a house, I spent a lot of time at the bank and the few people in-game were SUPER keen to chat. Hey, man, I’ve got crates to build!

Seems like SOTA has been able to bring over a lot of those really great features while refreshing the overall engine. Been playing this for just a few days but enjoying being able to learn something new just about every time I log in. Finally figured out how to craft my first longbow, and it’s way better than the ‘Bridge Defender Bow’ I looted from a skeleton corpse in the tutorial. (= Given my char’s low carpentry skills, no enchantments, and basic materials, it gives me a lot of hope that weapon and armour stats will greatly increase with skills and enchantments as I progress through the game. I’m sort of missing the ability to have multiple characters though – unless this is a feature I just haven’t discovered yet!

I’m currently hanging out around High Vale, so if you see me in game, feel free to say hello!

2. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Welcome Capt! :) The community is very helpful, so if you have any questions as you play, fire away! :)

majoria70 likes this.
  3. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

Welcome!

If you want your alts to share banks, etc, you can get additional slots for $5 at https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=9085. Of course, you can always create a fully separate account as well. It's one of the nice things about a free-to-play. :)

majoria70 likes this.
  4. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings CaptainNemo
    If there is anything I can do for you please message me in game or here using this name: Warrior B'Patrick. I am a "Bit" older than you because my Ultima experience started with UII. Considered myself very lucky to meet Lord British when he was making the rounds with Ultima II in Sandy Springs, Georgia. He was so very young back then. Played and replayed thru most of the early Ultimas and was amazed when the character creation was based on Virtue questions. What a concept back then.

So what play style have you chosen? Are you a Warrior, Mage, Archer, or a Paladin (jking about the Paladin)? I have a chest of crafting tries for armor and weapons. Let me know and I will send you some starters. Also check out the Player Created Resources in the forums. Lots of good info. Hope to see you in game.

majoria70 and that_shawn_guy like this.
  5. Kaizen Strava

Kaizen Strava Avatar

*tips hat*
    You don't really need multiple characters since the crafting XP pool is separate from the adventuring, but there are options.
    If you want separate personalities, my advice is to create an alt account vs. getting a second character slot (available in the game store on the web https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=9085) as characters on the same account are tethered with XP, friends, guilds etc.
    You get a free row sized lot deed with beginner quests and a free village lot deed with the main questline. plenty to do in this game.
    Friend my name in the game and I will be glad to lend a hand if needed.

majoria70 and that_shawn_guy like this.
  6. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Welcome @CaptainNemo ! I am glad you are here having fun. I am a Tamer Bard from UO loving it here in New Britannia. :)

majoria70 likes this.
  7. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Welcome @CaptainNemo! Great to have you with us in the game!

majoria70 likes this.
  8. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

Hey CaptianNemo! Great to see another person from the Southern Hemisphere.... im from AUS

majoria70 likes this.
  9. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

Hi and welcome @CaptainNemo ! I'm also from Oz, been here since the first tentative release, and still loving it. The great part of this game is that you can do whatever you like - be a warrior, farmer, crafter, fisherman, trader or a bit of everything. Happy to help you if I can at any time.
    A word of advice as you are starting out: you will find the starting and one-skull areas pretty challenging at first, then as your character and stats develop they get easier. Then it's time to find another area, just a bit tougher, where you can still survive but you are knocking over bigger mobs. You get more XP this way, and will advance quicker. Of course the 5-skull and higher areas are absolute no-go areas right now, you will get creamed. But don't be discouraged; you will get there and one day will be smacking these mobs as well.
    It's a great community, and enjoy your journey!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    majoria70 and craftymethod like this.
  10. Ysold

Ysold Avatar

Welcome CaptainNemo!
    I starting playing SotA only a few weeks ago, so I'm very much a newbie. The folks here have been very helpful, and the SotA Wiki is never from my browser. And still I made all kinds of silly mistakes, so don't be afraid to ask for advice on these boards!

SotA has also been a feast of memories for me. Some days ago I encountered a wisp, and it made me smile so much! Of course I tried to talk to it, but alas... no reply.

Have fun!
    Ysold.

majoria70 likes this.
  11. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

they can't talk, but they aren't just random: watch for when they flash green and they'll lead to you to gatherables.

majoria70 and Anpu like this.
  12. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

'ello and welcome! :)

majoria70 likes this.
  13. Birko

Birko Avatar

Tena Koe Captain,

I'm from across the Tasman ditch in Sydney. Always glad to find time zone allies.

I play as "Birko" and would be honoured to be a friend.

Ysold and majoria70 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.