1. This forum is for bug reporting of current Live Game Server issues ONLY.
    Be sure to follow the format below, it will help us out greatly in responding. If you do not, your report may not be entered into the system.

Read BEFORE submitting your first bug: Reporting Bugsā€¦ QA 101 Document
    • Search for your bug in all likely categories before posting in order to avoid duplicate reports.
    • Be sure to provide details of what the issue is and how to re-produce it, but keep your bug report factual.
    • Only report oneissue per thread, additional issues may be ignored.
    • Do not add, include or modify the thread moderator tags in the title of the thread. (indicators in the [])
    • Reply to an existing thread if you have additional information for the reported bug.
      Do not use this forum for commentary, your post will be deleted and you may be moderated, suspended or banned if the activity continues.
    • There is no need to submit crash logs. Crash data we require is automatically logged.
    NOTE: Important information including your location and system specs are automatically put into your clipboard when using /bug in the game (DO NOT add additional system specs unless requested). When starting your post, just use <CTRL>-V to insert the data and fill in the entries with no data.

Please include Screenshots if possible. Images can be saved on our SotA Discord Server here

If the clipboard does not work, use and fill in this Bug Report Template:
    1. Title:
    2. Reproducible?
    3. Blocker?
    4. Details:
    5. Steps to Reproduce:
    6. User Specs: (RAM, CPU, GPU and Operating System only)
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Fixed 67201] Summon Samael Whistle in Malice not Working

Discussion in '*** Bug Report Archive (After R75) ***' started by johirchert, Jun 21, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johirchert

johirchert Avatar

I saw a previous thread with this title posted from December 2019. I am a relatively new player and this is the second main quest-line bug that I have encountered. Anyway, I am having the exact same issue as the previous post.

I see from the previous thread that there is a work-around, but an disappointed that six months after it was reported and acknowledged it is still not corrected.

LindenAvery

Edit: Here is the original bug text from Humperdink

12/06/2019 16:58
    Title: Summon Samael whistle in Malice not Working
    Reproduction Rate: ?
    Blocker? Yes
    Details: I have the correct whistle assigned to the non-combat hotbar, click the whistle and my avatar speaks the words of power but no Samael. Even restarted the game.
    Steps to Reproduce: Same as above.
    User Specs:
    CPU: AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor (8) System RAM: 32661
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GPU RAM: 6052
    SotA.Win.64.1083.Date.12.04.19
    Area: Novia_R5_Hills03_Malice/Default
    Area Display Name: Malice
    Loc: (107.2, 15.6, 544.8)
    Debug: Tm92aWFfUjVfSGlsbHMwM19NYWxpY2V8RGVmYXVsdHwoMTA3LjE3MiwgMTUuNTcxLCA1NDQuNzc2KXwoMCwgLTAuNDczLCAwLCAwLjg4MSl8LTc3Ni4yNDkzfDI5LjgxMjM4fDMuMDM4NDQ1

Edit: Apparently you have to speak to Yama on the shores of Malice and mention Samael to him each time you enter Malice to enable the whistle to summon Samael. Not easy to figure out.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    Duke Aventine likes this.
  2. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

I noticed the last time I went threw this that I had more then one whistle. using on of the others worked.

But, yeah. Would be nice if it were fixed.

3. johirchert

johirchert Avatar

So, I went back and spoke with Yama on the shortes of Malice and went through his entire dialog, fought my way back to the second barrier, and still the summon Samael does not work. The Icon says I have one use left, yet no matter how many times i try to summon him, he does not appear.

Still frustrated.

4. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Is your multiplayer setting set to solo?

5. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

Regarding the old thread you mentioned, I couldn't reproduce the issue so no change was made that that time. As it appeared the original player was able to continue later on, the issue was closed.

I wasn't the one who set up this quest, but looked into it and saw Yama has nothing to do with the whistle. It feels possible the original player had a connectivity issue or some other temporary problem and when the problem fixed itself he was able to use the whistle again as intended.

As I did with that previous bug report, I went into my editor version and then also the live version of this scene/quest and ran through the steps. I was able to get the whistle and use it on every attempt. I'll need more information if I'm to fix your issue, so I have some questions.

1. You should be able to use the whistle in your hotbar or when you double-click it in your inventory. Do you recall which you did?
    2. A few players once reported that they had more than one "Summon Samael" whistle, but I haven't heard of this happening in a long while. Did you have more than one whistle when you tried to summon him? (By the way, I have found that owning multiple "Sumon Samael" whistles doesn't matter. Either one should do the job.)
    3. When you exit the scene and return into Malice, are you able to use the whistle to summon Samael?
    4. Are you playing in single-player or multiplayer mode?
    4a. If you're in single-player mode, do you have another companion (Fiona FitzOwen, Conrad Dupre, or Ariel Rosehaven) already active before trying to summon Samael? If so, which one was active?

Don't worry about the "one use left" counter. It never gets used up. The whistle will go away automatically once you've advanced in the quest and not before.

6. johirchert

johirchert Avatar

1. I have the whistle on my utility bar and have been using it that way. I do not think I have tried to double click in inventory.
    2. I have two whistles.
    3. I usually make sure I am in "party" mode on the multi-player options.
    4. I finished the FitzOwen quest a while ago, I'm pretty sure I've finished the Ariel Rosehaven, and I don't know anything about Conrad Dupre. I do not have any of these quests in my journal.

How this actually happened, was I died in one of the rooms to get the gems. After I resurrected, Samael was gone and could not resummon him.

Under the "Find Sequanna!" journal entry, it says that "Samael is once again travelling with me."

Thank you so much for your help and I'm sorry I get so frustrated.
    LindenAvery (avatar name)

7. Sannio

@johirchert , thanks for the extra details. I've added this bug to my to-do list as issue #67201.

I think I may need more information by logging into your character and directly checking your quest state. If I accidentally kick you out of the game today, I apologize in advance.

8. Sannio

@johirchert I think I solved your problem.

You had two whistles for Samael in your inventory. While in Malice, I double-clicked each one at a time while they were in your inventory and one of them didn't work! You mentioned always using the whistle in your hotbar, so I bet you must have slotted the bad whistle and thus were blocked.

I deleted both whistles from your inventory and added a fresh one. I double-clicked it in your inventory and confirmed that it correctly summoned Samael while in Malice. I think this is all you need and can continue on with your quest without any problem. (However, I didn't poke through your hotbars and just wanted to mention if you see a whistle slotted in any, please remove it. You should be able to add your fresh whistle to the hotbar after that.)

Paladin Michael, johirchert and Anpu like this.
  9. johirchert

johirchert Avatar

Thank you so much Sannio! I was able to summon Samael and complete the quest!
    LindenAvery

Sannio and Duke Aventine like this.
  10. Sannio

Awesome! Thanks for the update and I'm glad your quest is back on track!

11. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

The problem with two whistles was mentioned in the walkthrough of Synergy Blaize.

Sannio, isn't it possible to prevent more than 1 whistles of one type in inventory?
    A limit is still used for quest books (max of 2), so why not for whistles? :)
    May be this could solve the problem.

12. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

or name them "summon samael in malice" and "summon samael in the crypt of the avatar"

Anpu likes this.
  13. Sannio

I thought that limit was set and somehow the bug was that it was pushing an extra whistle into your inventory. But I just checked and see that the limit of 1 wasn't set so I'll do that now. Thanks! I'll fix it.

In the meantime, a short play for you:

INT. OFFICE - DAY

Muted light enters through a high window. The sky is cloudy. Sannio stands looking out the window with his hands clasped behind his back. Paladin Michael stands behind a nearby desk.

PALADIN MICHAEL​
    Sannio, have you checked that the inventory limit is set to "one"?​

Sannio is immediately agitated. He spins around, and slams his flat hand on the table. Papers on the desk flutter away from the force of the action. Paladin Michael maintains his composure.

SANNIO
    (Yelling)​
    Don't you think I've done that?! Don't you think I've checked it more than once?!
    Sannio picks up and shakes the papers, barely glancing at them.

SANNIO
    (Still yelling)​
    What sort of FOOL would I be to assume I checked ...
    Sannio glances at one of the papers in his hand and realizes something.

SANNIO
    (Calming but still loud)​
    ... checked the inventory limit ... ​

Sannio studies the paper in his hand.

SANNIO
    (Contrite)​
    Huh. Looks like it wasn't set. Weird.​

Sannio sits and, without looking up, grabs a pencil and begins updating the paper. Paladin Michal snaps to attention.

PALADIN MICHAEL​
    Will there be anything else? ​

SANNIO
    (Distracted and still writing)​
    Hm? Oh, no, no. It's good. I'm good. Thanks.​

Paladin Michael spins on his heel and exits.

Anpu and Paladin Michael like this.
  14. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

*laughing*
    Thank you for the story ;)

Well, I know those situations by myself ...

Be sure, I never ever wanted/want to agitate you or somebody else.

I really appreciate all efforts the team is doing to improve this game.
    And that's the reason alot of us are trying to help finding bugs.

Have a good day, Sannio!

[ No further bug reports or quest(ion)s today ;) ]

Anpu and Sannio like this.
  15. Sannio

I wasn't agitated by your comments. Especially since it led to a fix! :D

Anpu and Paladin Michael like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.