Question about poison

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nick, Jun 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick

Nick Avatar

Does anyone use them?

How useful are they and how many types of poison potions are there?

Yep, planning to write a book about it. Would be nice if someone already has a write up on the topic. :)

Poison
    by Feeyo, Barugon, Charon, Xiones, Tirrag, Boris Mondragon, Anpu, Violet Ronso

Nothing much was ever discussed about poison. Perhaps, it is not virtuous to speak about the use of poison in the new world. After much probing, we learned that it is actually quite common to use poison. The poison by itself is not evil. Like a sword, it is how we choose to use it. Our Shroud remains pure despite the frequent use to eradicate the local menace.

To properly use poison, we need to learn and train the skill 'Poison Weapon'. The higher the skill level, the longer the poison duration will last. You can craft a variety of poison, each has it own merits. Choose the poison that is most suitable for you.

To use it, put the poison in your utility hot-bar. When you activate the slot, it will add poison to your weapon, and that includes bows too. It will last more than 20 seconds, depending on your Poison Weapon skill. Each hit with your weapon will apply the poison.

Other than skill level, some weapons like daggers and short swords will increase the effectiveness of poison. It can add to the duration that the mobs get poisoned. It is a handy tool to slow or damage mobs. Speed buffs, critical buffs, daggers and poison can be very helpful. These weapons can be considered pretty defensively as they have a relatively high parry.

Poison works on most mob. However, all undead and some mobs are immune to their own poison. For example, a Corpion is immune to Corpion poison.

You can use poison alongside fire skills like ignite weapon and immolation. Using them together can quickly take down mobs in record time.

Using attack speed buffs and corpion poison (or for that matter, any poison) is also very effective. Using berserker stance and a savage sash of swiftness will wear down the mobs. Use them together with fire dots and celestial blessing, you will bring down a pile of dead elven mage mobs pretty quickly!

For polearm users, Festering Poison with Skewer and Puncture (stacked x3) is great for bringing down large preys. This keeps them from healing, and it bleeds them out. Its not the best way to kill something big in 30 seconds, but it is very effective.

Blade users will equally benefit with Festering Poison with Rend.

You can add using fleet flute to increase attack speed. Together with body slam and taking them down from behind, it sure is a good way to quickly send them to the netherworld.

As Violet Ronso puts it:

"Poisons are one of my favorite things to use. First off, to use them, you put them on your Out of Combat Bar, and then before or during the fight, you use the poison. The poison will then be applied to your weapon for the duration specified on your tooltip (Skill level will increase the duration). Any Auto-Attack/Free-Attack or skill use (only the 1st hit of a skill use) will apply the effect, and it will refresh every following hit. Poison effects can also stack up to 3 times, so for a Festering Poison, you reduce the targets Healing modifier by 45%.

Festering Poison works best on bosses, where you can reduce by nearly half their recovery, or on mages that heal themselves. Meanwhile, Corpion works best on smaller mobs for a dps boost, and there is also the Spider Venom I think, the one that slows down attack speed, I use that on hard hitting mobs, mostly physical attack mobs.

Also, it is important to use weapons that aid Poison effectiveness, The best weapon being a Dagger, you can usually wield one in your off-hand to get that juiicy +50% poison damage, and then a spear or a shortsword in your main hand for a total of +75% damage from poisons. This is nice to use!"

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    Boris Mondragon and Fister Magee like this.
  2. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

I use them :) You can craft lots of different poisons. But the time that its active (even with a high 100+) skill its much much too low.

Anpu and Nick like this.
  3. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

Do they work against mobs too, or is poison a PVP only thing? And I don't remember ever seeing anything about HOW you use it. I mean, I presume you don't just throw vials at people (or mobs).

Nick likes this.
  4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Most mobs. Undead are immune and certain mobs are immune to their own poison (i.e. corpions are immune to corpion poison).
    Put it on your utility hot-bar. When you activate that slot, it will poison your weapon (works for bows too) for 20 seconds (longer if you have the skill) and each hit with your weapon will apply the poison. I find that attack speed buffs + corpion poison is very effective.

5. Charon

Charon Avatar

Besides skill level, weapon type also makes a difference in poison duration which ultimately increases the damage done by the poison. I use short swords and will occasionally break out daggers. Off the top of my head I think both have a 50% duration bonus to poison.

I don't use poison all the time or against all mobs but it is a handy tool to slow or damage mobs. Speed buffs, crit buffs, daggers and poison can be very effective and is actually pretty effective defensively as daggers have a relatively high parry.

Nick and Bedawyn like this.
  6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The weapon type may affect the effects duration (how many ticks) but it doesn't affect how long the poison stays applied to your weapon. Only the skill does that.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    Nick and Anpu like this.
  7. Charon

Charon Avatar

I thought it was the other way around but I'm generally wrong.

Nick likes this.
  8. Xiones

Xiones Avatar

Poison + Ignite weapon + Immolation. Equals quick dead mobs.

9. Charon

Charon Avatar

You forgot beserker stance and a savage sash of swiftness. The three you mentioned, plus the 2 I mentioned with a dash of celestial blessing = a pile of dead elven mage mobs.

Xiones, Nick, Anpu and 1 other person like this.
  10. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

For polearms Festering Poison + Skewer + Puncture (stacked x3) is great for bringing down large prey. Keep them from healing and bleed them out. It's not the kill something big in 30 seconds DPS way but its very effective :) Process also works well with blades and Rend.

Agreed. In support roles I tend to use Fiona Fitzowen's crossbow (for the 3 shots in 1) + Corpion + attack speed buffs.

Nick, Anpu and Boris Mondragon like this.
  11. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Add a fleet flute just for shits and giggles. Body slam and challenge yourself to kill them from behind before they get to turn and see who dispatched them to the netherworld “Grins” R/Boris/El Pirata

Nick, Anpu and Charon like this.
  12. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

That used to be real good until they added the -60% poison effectiveness. Also, that bow is irreplaceable.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    FrostII and Nick like this.
  13. Charon

Charon Avatar

Yes sir. I've been running the route you showed me and it works very well.

Nick and Boris Mondragon like this.
  14. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Just make sure you don’t root a creature you want to use Body Slam against, otherwise you will just run in place. This has been broken for three months...

15. Charon

Charon Avatar

AND Shield of Ice giving no fire resist. Unless it's fixed in this release it's been broken for at least the 2 previous releases.

Nick and Boris Mondragon like this.
  16. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Poisons are one of my favorite things to use. First off, to use them, like Barugon said, you put them on your Out of Combat Bar, and then before or during the fight, you use the poison. The poison will then be applied to your weapon for the duration specified on your tooltip (Skill level will increase the duration). Any Auto-Attack/Free-Attack or skill use (only the 1st hit of a skill use) will apply the effect, and it will refresh every following hit. Poison effects can also stack up to 3 times, so for a Festering Poison, you reduce the targets Healing modifier by 45%.

Festering Poison works best on bosses, where you can reduce by nearly half their recovery, or on mages that heal themselves. Meanwhile, Corpion works best on smaller mobs for a dps boost, and there is also the Spider Venom I think, the one that slows down attack speed, I use that on hard hitting mobs, mostly physical attack mobs.

Also, it is important to use weapons that aid Poison effectiveness, The best weapon being a Dagger, you can usually weild one in your off-hand to get that juiicy +50% poison damage, and then a spear or a shortsword in your main hand for a total of +75% damage from poisons. This is nice to use!

17. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Thanks for the heads up brother; never used root, takes too long and by that time I got most things in the rise planted face down :)

Nick and Anpu like this.
  18. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Brother; use fire warding gems and douse. I use Ice field to pull those mages to me in groups of 3 or 4. I don't waste my time on either the dragon, obsidian troll, obsidian golems nor the large group of skellies guarding the Lich. My only real challenge used to be the elven fighter at entrance of dog run. With the archers there also pull them with something simple as ice arrow in groups of 4-5 . The dogs are a nuisance but worse case always pull them to you near entrance and back up to the top stairs and regroup if necessary. Aetheric feedback has become my friend as it helps with focus use which I drain quite quickly even with an augmented deck. My deck for the Elven fighter at Dog run has a dagger in offhand and its the only time I really use poison and haste potion which come for free from those generous elves there *grins* R/Boris/El Pirata

Nick likes this.
  19. Charon

Charon Avatar

I run your basic route with a modification or two to suit my skills.

I kill the obsidian troll and the archers around him, clear the barracks, clear the mage room, kill the elven fighter and 1 side of the archers in the dog room. I have a bad habit of taking a dirt nap when I try to get the archers on the other side ... :)

Boris Mondragon and Nick like this.
  20. Nick

Nick Avatar

That's quite a bit of info to digest. :)

Does using poison reduces virtue in any way? It doesn't seem very virtuous to use poison.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.