Dance parties and fishing tourneys with light sabers...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Artomus Sumotra, Jun 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Artomus Sumotra

Artomus Sumotra Avatar

Not the game I pledged for in 2014... I have been a subscriber on multiple accounts for 23+ months hoping that the game will come around... But it seems obvious that the popular go to for SOTA is dance parties and fishing tournaments with silly modern and sci-fi rewards. The last live stream on Friday June 19 2020 with part of the idea discussion talking about putting in a mosh ability for dance parties with some sort of damage effect... Cute but... Really? Well besides the fact that just because it is said on live stream doesn't mean anything will come of it and probably will never happen still bothers me because there are so many real issues that are and have been broke that are known but this is what is being talked about? It just makes it obvious that this is what is trending in SOTA. I really do not want to support this trend that is obviously a priority for SOTA Dev's. I canceled all of my subscriptions and want it to be known this is the main reason my subscriptions are no longer being paid... The proverbial straw that broke the back of this backer.
    Another issue was when moving out of the POT I have been in for years because the owner decided he is done with SOTA and sold it, I was reluctantly considering setting up in another friends POT that offered me space for my houses (3 city 1 town 6 village 4 rows) but just found out there is a significant COTO charge to magic move from one POT to another and that is just not going to work for me. I have put all my houses in the magic mover and simply will not be playing anymore.
    I will watch how things go with SOTA from afar. I am sure the few friends that still play will let me know if real issues improve and I might consider possibly returning. I would like to see this happen as I see so much potential for the game that has been overlooked or simply avoided... Why? I don't know... Maybe the majority really wants this to be a modern sci-fi dance party and fishing sim...
    I rarely post because I read the forums and 99% of what I would say has been said and rarely are they addressed by Portnip in any significant way. I have noticed how a lot of legitimate post have been locked and or deleted and that really bothers me and chose to not waist my time. I understand and support the need to moderate flaming trolls but feel that it is unfortunately used to stop negative PR that are very often legitimate known issues. How about addressing these issues more often with permanent solutions for all to benefit ? Is thread locking, deleting post, banning and permanent beaning on the forum the best solution we have? Historically these type of solutions have really compromised the communities that were subjected to this type of censorship.
    I hope this is not a waste of my time as this post as it is intended for all to consider (Devs, Players and flamers) and I really hope for all to put there feedback that might refocus the objectives to getting this game back to its roots. I know it is a huge can of worms... But hey if it helps raise awareness and brings positive change then great... Otherwise I suppose you can always use the can of worms for a fishing tourney and have a dance party where you pass out sci-fi trophies.
    Thank you,
    Artomus Sumotra

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  2. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

LB finally appears at Brittany castle to rule the land, Darkstarr now leads dungeon crawls instead of dance parties, and the devs have begun hosting events to reveal Episode 2 content instead of more fishing trophies. Its all good.

*Duke Aventine pauses to see which alternative universe he is in today.*

Floors, Circe2, Jikininki and 7 others like this.
  3. Dinsoo

Dinsoo Avatar

Cheers! This is what SotA is now. An Ultima Dance/Party/Deco/Fun House (with no pvp) and (no story).

It could have been so good. ~still have hope~

Xandra7, Circe2, Peach and 12 others like this.
  4. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

What? You didn't realize that when they talked about a story rich game, akin to Ultima IV and VII in the Kickstarter, they meant dance parties and fishing contests? I mean, who needs to fix bugs or create a compelling story when we can have MORE unfinished systems implemented in the game like a virtual mosh pit!

[​IMG]

Xandra7, Vaiden Luro, Circe2 and 18 others like this.
  5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Devs running an on-going story via events was never something that was promised. The story aspects come through via episodes and guess what? It takes time to make them. So either you can complain about there being dance parties and items that don't fit your vision of the game.. or you can complain about nothing going on while you wait for the next EP to be made. Also, guess who started the dance parties? Could it be.. players?

Oh and.. the community manager who runs fishing tournies... doesn't work on fixing bugs.. and neither does DS. Having them engage in the community (or not) has no affect on the development of the game. The people doing development/bug fixes are still there doing their jobs regardless. If you want to complain they aren't focused on what you think they should be focused on, that's fine but implying dance parties and fishing tournies has anything to do with it is just right out.

6. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

Impressive just how much strawmanning you managed in a single post.

Xandra7, Circe2, MrBlight and 10 others like this.
  7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

You mean how much I pointed out? Thank you kindly.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  8. marthos

marthos Avatar

How long ago was the kickstarter again? Time is not the constraint that prevented us from having a decent storyline in this game.

Dance parties and fishing events is what the gaming community thinks this game is all about. The developers and players need to change that perception if the game is ever going to get back into the thousands of players. When your highest profile developer's only appearance in the game is to host a dance party, that contributes to the perception problem. When the emails that go out announcing new releases are flooded with cosmetic items and very little content or bug-fixes, it contribute to that perception. When the remaining players continue to say that everything is awesome, as tens of thousands of players leave the game, it contributes to that perception. At some point, perception becomes reality.

This perception just became reality for the original poster.

The difficulty of turning this ship around increases every time a player cancels a sub, stops buying light-sabers and Iron Man outfits, or quits the game. Less and less revenue. Smaller and smaller player base. Skeleton crew of a development team.

What does this game look like in a year if nothing changes? 50 people playing, Chris picks up a full-time job elsewhere, and he pays the servers' electric bill out of a labor of love?

It's folk like the OP who we need to listen to and encourage Chris to listen to as well.

Xandra7, Circe2, MrBlight and 13 others like this.
  9. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

I think you are missing what most people are saying. Perhaps DS & the Community Manager should spend time engaging the players by hosting some story related, RP & PVP events like what Travian used to do. People would appreciate more engaging interactions that keep them wanting to come back for more, rather than just collecting participation trophies.

Examples:

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...bmission-thread-charge-of-the-dragons.123311/

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...event-chapter-vi-the-last-dire-portal.145645/

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...ukes-tournament-final-tournament-plan.137757/

Circe2, arcdevil, Montaigne and 4 others like this.
  10. Chemical

Chemical Avatar

With New World around the corner this game is going to be hit hard. I currently sub as well in hopes that my contribution helps provide the resources that move the game into a better MMO with work on improving the performance, MAPS, quests, PVE content and loot.

When it comes to PVE this server has a very poor community people would gather more for these fishing and dance parties.

11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

How long ago was the EP1 released again? Is EP2 on its way? The story comes from these no? What do community events run by people not involved with the story have to do with it?

Hate to agree you're hitting the nail on the head here.. emphasis on AND players... Does anyone really believe DS would be hosting dance parties once a month if a majority of players didn't want him to? If players didn't find it fun, would he still be doing it?

Please don't speculate. Do you work for the company?

I agree there is a perception problem. Then again, when is there not? Such as implying that community events have anything to do with the actual development and folks just buying into it. Or that someone pointing that out is somehow actually arguing that everything is peachy.. apples and hamburgers. Not even related.

12. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

It's unfortunate that it's Windows only. Hopefully, I can play through Steam's Proton when it's released.

arcdevil and Cordelayne like this.
  13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Oh I'm not missing it. I'm just taking exception to HOW it's being said. If the examples you're using don't justify your case then you lose the argument. Complaining about the perceived lack of bug fixes or story development by pointing to dance parties is 1: Not doing to sway any developer anywhere. 2: Contributing to the misconception that these things are somehow related.

It is not only NOT helpful but makes the perception of the situation worse.

Sean Silverfoot and Sulaene Moon like this.
  14. Artomus Sumotra

Artomus Sumotra Avatar

I suppose you could say I am complaining... I would rather say I am quitting this game and wanted to state why. It is a really huge loss in my mind that I have come to this point. The time I have spent in this game has more importance then the money I have spent and the money has been significant. The same point many of those who I used to play this game with have come to. Judging from the feedback this post has received seems I am not alone actually it appears others agree much more then not. I hope this will help the Dev's prioritize what they do in the future. No more no less. It would be nice to see many of the issues that have persisted be resolved.
    There is and always has been issues that do not seem they will be addressed let alone resolved anytime soon, if ever. Basics like quest that are still unrewarding and difficult to follow or simply do not work. Unusable items materials etc. Very unbalanced skills in crafting and adventuring. Heritage items. Items that used to work that don't and apparently will not be anytime soon. I do not intend to rant on because there is a lot more just read the forums they are still relevant in many cases. I do no't expect perfection but resolutions to old known issues perhaps prior to adding new issues. Yes I do care enough to communicate in constructive manner.
    I did not intend on implying that I want Dev's to hold our hand with some sort of ongoing story line event. I would rather see what has been done finished to a working point that is enjoyable rather then frustrating and futile a lot of the time. My objective with this post is to hopefully raise awareness so that some very basic issues and the direction of SOTA might be looked at with sustainable solutions. Perhaps I would feel like getting back on board with the game. Ultimately others would return and new players would join and stay.
    I apologize if you have taken offense this was not my objective. I am glad that you are feeling like everything is going good enough for you. I have spent years waiting for this and that, to little or no avail. I understand there are a lot of issues I may be unaware of yet the ones I am aware of are in fact not going away anytime soon. I have supported the game to the best of my ability. I am encouraged that the feedback seems to imply others agree with what I wrote. I hope this helps the Dev's to address some of these issues. I would like to see it all work out in the end but at this point am accepting that it is how it is and moving on.
    Thank you,
    Artomus Sumotra

15. marthos

marthos Avatar

I'm thinking that a "Novian Exiles" guild in New World made up of former SotA players might be pretty popular! It would be a good way to keep in touch and extend the gaming communities created here. Or does that already exist and I missed my invite?

Guild rule #1 would be that you can dance, or you can fish, but you can't do both at the same time!

In all seriousness though, people gather towards dancing and fishing because those are some of the better designed aspects of the game. If the bar for PvE was set at the same level, there would be many more people playing this game. And it's easy to monetize dance parties by selling more outfits. It's harder to monetize great PvE content directly (but more players = more opportunity to sell outfits, so great PvE should increase revenue in the long run).

Cordelayne likes this.
  16. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

A sentiment I'm sure most here would agree on.. but.. what issues? Dance parties and fishing tournaments are not representative of any issue as they are solely community driven and run by those not directly responsible for fixing real issues. That is what gets me.. when people keep pointing these things as if the game was designed to revolve around them when it's not and there isn't that much anyone can do about it. Even if Starr stops hosting dance parties.. we have 3 community radio stations which host those events and they would continue. Just as they started long before Starr got involved.

This.. real issues.

Never said, nor implied.

I just don't think pointing to community events as representative of development issues is fair to anyone.

Crafting implementation issues. Grinding. Economy. NPCs & Quests.. I personally would like to see them all overhauled. Actual story driven events.. and I mean STORY driven events.. not mass PVE chaos I would dearly love to see. If they gave me the power to do them, I would happily do so for free.

Katu and Cordelayne like this.
  17. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

This is a fair and valid point Bowen, and you are right. Community events aren't representative of development. However, it is indicative of the "2nd Life" direction the game seems to be taking.

While I was pleased to see the introduction of two new quests in the last two releases, prior to that and even now, deco items certainly take a priority. Unity asset or not, it still takes time to get those items into the game and I get it, it helps "pay the bills". However, I think we can all agree (at least in this post) that it wasn't deco items that sparked our excitement for SotA but rather, "a story even more compelling than Ultimas IV-VII...". You said it best here,
    Fixing and improving all your aforementioned points are what we need, not more deco and certainly not more unfinished systems. Sadly, I have long since realized that this is unlikely to change and while I am happy for those that love "2nd Life SotA", it isn't what drew me here and I know I am not alone in that sentiment. As always, I appreciate your candor and insight.

Respectfully,

Cord

Xandra7, Circe2, FrostII and 9 others like this.
  18. oplek

oplek Avatar

As an aside, did anything happen with the GM potions (or whatever they were)? I stopped hearing about that.

19. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

they exist. send chris a message in game about the event you want to use them for.

you can see them on the leaderboard: potion of temporary gm powers

Sean Silverfoot, Anpu and Cordelayne like this.
  20. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

You seem very confused and defensive. You pointed out no straw man arguments in your rant, but made plenty yourself. Please don't try to deflect your own faults on to others, it is unbecoming. Look at your faults, reflect, and try to improve.

I wish you luck and joy as you endeavor toward self improvement and education. Be well.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    FrostII, arcdevil and marthos like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.