Take a break, take a Project: Gorgon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Feeyo, Jul 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

So if you are looking to take a break from SotA, or already are on a break and want to try something to still have some fun. Try project gorgon!

Just a FYI: It is a pretty fun time killer!

Sulaene Moon, arcdevil and Nick like this.
  2. Xiones

Xiones Avatar

Eh.....I still to Star Trek Online, till New Worlds comes out.

Boris Mondragon and arcdevil like this.
  3. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Does this have a free to play option?

4. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Or a link?

5. ldykllr

ldykllr Avatar

I actually enjoy this game a lot, it's a diamond in the rough, but has a lot of potential.

Feeyo likes this.
  6. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

Loving space engineers at the moment!

Chemeck likes this.
  7. Superbitsandbob

Superbitsandbob Avatar

This is probably the best new retro MMORPG currently in development. It's amazing what essentially 2 people with a small budget can do with some brilliant ideas and creativity. A system where you become a werewolf linked to the phases of the moon in real life. Yes please!

arcdevil and Feeyo like this.
  8. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Yes it has a demo, you can play till lvl15.

Anpu likes this.
  9. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

10. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

They are ex developers from Everquest as far as I remember. But yes I agree, the game is amazing! Love the skills and crafting system.

11. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

Project Gorgon is good and Legends of Aria is shaping up well too, especially a couple of the community servers like HOPE which is where I spend my time.

12. Superbitsandbob

Superbitsandbob Avatar

Asheron's Call I think. Husband and Wife team although they could well have worked on EQ as well.

Feeyo likes this.
  13. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Just adding my 2 cents here.
    Project Gorgon ..its kinda amazing what they've accomplished. The dev is a guy named Eric, who is assisted by his wife - yes they worked on Asheron's Call back in the day. I played the crap out of this game back in alpha when he was working a day job and coding in his free time, they did a kickstarter a while back so he could get more art assets and get some help, its very much a 'passion project' as well, and quirky and unique in a lot of ways. Its a game that has depth and breadth and a lot of interesting twists on systems, but it doesn't take itself too seriously either.

Key things -
    • NPC 'favor' system - you earn reputation with absolutely everyone, they are memorable, have personalities, quirks, and becoming better friends with them (through tasks, gifts, or just spending time) unlocks recipes, storage options, even entire skill trees. Its been years and I still remember these NPCs names.
    • Economy - anything you sell to the NPC, other players can see and buy from the NPC. Each NPC has specific things they will buy, and a limited amount of money (that resets each week) so you have to plan accordingly, you can't just park and farm the same thing all the time for cash. There's player vendors and consignment on existing NPCs, too.
    • There's a whole lot of skill lines that are NOT combat focused - your usual fishing, cooking, leatherworking, mining, etc. but dozens more, including silly things like a quirky skill line dedicated to 'cheesemaking' or 'poetry appreciation'. Some of these skill lines actually can help in combat too, i.e. calligraphy has synergy with swordsmanship. But its possible to do nothing but combat, and its possible to do very little combat other than what you must do to get to the places you want to go and focus on other things. I have one character that has never left the main town who focuses on gardening, for example, the tradeskills are economically self-sustainable.
    • Death penalty is quirky if you die from normal stuff- your character gets a temporary debuff that is usually harmless in nature. I once died and for 30 minutes, my character was confused and forgot how to use vowels. I literally couldn't type vowels. Its a bit more severe if you die to a boss, in which case you have that debuff (semi) permanently (there are workarounds) until you go back and kill that boss. Some of these can be a bit more severe. One of them for example, will turn you into a cow. That's it, your character is a cow now. Not to worry, cows have their own skill tree, including eating grass to healthemselves, kicking things, etc. Also you can be milked by other players. I can't make this stuff up. For every unique way you die, you earn "death exp" and levelling the death skill line eventually unlocks additional rez points, and the necromancy skill, for example.
    • Character "build" is your choice combination of two skill trees and there's a lot of different ways to go, and loads of passive supplementary skills. For example, there's a phrenology skill (studying skulls) that augments mentalist magic.
    • Loot is satifsying, consisting of random drop/stat equipment but you can 'guide' the RNG through your equipment choices to drop things relevant to your build more often. Each monster can be autopsied (raises passives skills giving bonuses against dozens of monster types), skinned for leather, butchered for meat, skull-extracted, buried, etc. depending on what you want to get from it. Crafting gear accesses the same kinda loot pool except you guide the base stats/materials and bonuses through what sort of gems you shove in it (obtained from prospecting/mining).
    It really is a delightful little game, but its one where you have to explore and pay attention, while it does have key functionality like functional minimaps, waypoints, etc. and a really robust journal feature with room for personal notes and such, it does not hand-hold and its easy to miss out on stuff if you're not checking every nook and cranny. Its not the sort of thing where you grind 1 area and then go to the next, I managed to play this for well over a year in Alpha when there were only 2 maps and not run out of goals.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    StarLord, Rada Torment, Gia2 and 7 others like this.
  14. ldykllr

ldykllr Avatar

I l

I am continually impressed with how much they have done. A housing system is due to be implemented (I think towards end of year - they are working on it) and lots of other things.

15. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

The Cow death penalty. That’s like the most brilliant thing I have ever heard.... :D

Feeyo likes this.
  16. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

The Pirate will sail his ship to New Worlds very soon. Plenty on board and space for more on this galleon. R/Boris/El Pirata

17. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Thanks! I’ll be giving this a try then.

Feeyo likes this.
  18. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

It was released two years ago but the graphics look 20 years ago.

19. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I’ll happily take a functional map system and various complete and working systems over graphics any day. Could care less about that.

And with an extremely low budget as well as a tiny development team am not really expecting much on graphics. That’s one of the most expensive things in any games development.

Beautiful graphics don’t make a game great.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  20. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

It has its charms. When I tried the game first that also was my first reaction, playing the game on full graphics and on the latest test unity changed it a lot. Still the graphics look a bit dated, but gameplay is lots of fun.

Barugon, Net and Anpu like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.