Received my Shards Online aka Legends of Aria collectors box.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Duke Gréagóir, Jul 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Shards Online aka Legends of Aria = It is a DVD case with the map and coin inside. Boy did they * me up good. Collectors = DVD case. :( This is what two ex Ultima Online devs do.

The Shroud of the Avatar gave me a REAL Collector's Edition box that is worth to sit next to my Ultima boxes! :D

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  2. Artomus Sumotra

Artomus Sumotra Avatar

It was not worth the wait??? Sorry Bro I got mine a while ago with 2 maps 1 signed by LB the other not as well as my certificats with stickers signed by LB... They might be worth more because who does that???

3. Duke Gréagóir

My Shroud of the Avatar was worth the wait and was as awesome as the prior Ultima titles. No complaints on the Shroud of the Avatar box as it is a collectors box.

My beef is the Shards Online aka Legends of Aria, I reread my posting and changed it to read easier.

4. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

Coming here complaining about the quality of Legends of Aria box is kinda like going on a star wars forum and complaining that the artwork on Aliens wasn't as good as the first one.....

5. Duke Gréagóir

It really isn’t.

SotA is the true spiritual successor to Ultima Online. Then you have Legends of Aria saying the same thing just because two developers were working on UO around the year 2000. So it is related.

Besides many of the SotA backers also backed Legends of Aria at a lower level and may of wanted to know what the collectors edition for that game was good or not. Now they know the made a good decision and was not swayed by the feelies like I was. They saved some money in the end.

6. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

im kinda wondering what was the price of the shards collector box vrs what you paid for your shroud one?

7. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

Well at least LoA has just come out of early access with a coherent game which while far from perfect is not a mish mash of half finished and poorly implemented systems like SOTA is. Perhaps they got their priorities right in concentrating on the game rather than being a LB fan club. Just a thought.

8. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

Oh and it's such a Spiritual Successor that the man himself has sold up to Catnip. :rolleyes:

9. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

It kinda is.

Shroud vs Aria
    Both MMO's, both spiritual successors to ultima, both video games (that's about where the comparison ends)

Star Wars vs Aliens
    Both owned by Disney, Both set in space, Both movies/books/comics series (about the same tenuous relationship you put between aria and shroud)

Cordelayne likes this.
  10. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Does this game have forced or optional PvP? Oh and I see it’s free to play (whatever that actually means for that game....).

The Alien property is owned by 20th Century Fox. Not Disney. Unless they also own them now?

11. Retlaw

Retlaw Avatar

Disney bought both Aliens and Predator last year. [CLICK]

CICI and Anpu like this.
  12. Duke Gréagóir

Legends of Aria was $100 for the collectors box level which consists of a DVD case (no place to put in media if one existed), map, and coin.

Shroud of the Avatar was $140 for a real collectors box plus
    • Cloth Map - Full size cloth map of the new world
    • Tangible Game Media - Get the game on a recorded media game
    • Soundtrack - Recorded media game soundtrack
    • Game Manual - Old-school style, illustrated, printed manual.
    • Challenge Coin

I think the SotA was the better value.

13. Duke Gréagóir

Just because you say it is, it still isn't.

This reminds me of this when two people were arguing about a guarantee, "If you want me to take a dump in a box, and mark it guaranteed I will...".

14. Retlaw

Retlaw Avatar

15. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

This!
    Exactly this!

Just because something is said to be a spiritual successor it doesn't actually mean anything. The two games are completely different and shouldn't really be compared since they have no overlap. It would be different if someone worked on both projects but that isn't the case.

16. Duke Gréagóir

No

17. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

Reminds me of the arguments 20 (!!!) years ago when Civilization: Call to Power came out as a "spiritual successor" to Civ 2 (we wouldn't see Civ 3 for another year or two at that point) and people were arguing over whether it should/could be compared to Civ 2 etc.

I'm far more interested though in a comparison between the games than the contents / presentation of the physical box which I believe was the OP's point.

LoA hasn't been on my radar though - I recall reading about it at the time and dismissing it - was it open PvP? (that would make me scroll on)

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  18. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

I was not that impressed with Aria. Open pvp and the mechanics suck in my op. I am waiting for the Legends of UO that will be on the Aria server to get done. It will be more like old UO in layout but still have the Aria mechanics of doing things. But that is by far a ways off from being done and ready.

Anpu likes this.
  19. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

Yes didn't say Aria is perfect but it is coherent unlike SOTA.

20. Hanneth

Hanneth Avatar

No, it was $100 for the Exclusive Collector's Box (Cheap DVD Case) and Celador Cloth Map.
    That was the level I pledged at because I am a sucker for cloth maps.
    It was an extra $100 for what I am told is a cheap coin.
    $200 for limited Collector's Coin, Exclusive Collector's Box (Cheap DVD Case) and Celador Cloth Map.
    As part of the extra $100, you also got access to the Pre-Alpha Admin Program, Featured Server and "Multiverse Explorer" title in game instead of "Prime Collector"

$100
    Get your access code to Shards Online at Alpha 1 Release + Exclusive Collector's Box + Celador Cloth Map + Pre-Alpha Playtester Program + Access to Founders Only Shard + 1 Baby Dragon Familiar + Digital Art Book + "Prime Collector" in-game title

$200
    Get your access code to Shards Online at Alpha 1 Release + Pre-Alpha Admin Program + Featured Server + Limited Collector's Coin + Exclusive Collector's Box + Celador Cloth Map + Pre-Alpha Playtester Program + Access to Founders Only Shard + 1 Baby Dragon Familiar + Digital Art Book + "Multiverse Explorer" in-game title

You got more for your buck with Shroud of the Avatar, and it was of higher quality.

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.