Looking for LUA Addon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ShurTugal, Aug 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

Hi. I heard that people have been creating Lua scripts that allow them to have their own combat bar, non combat bar, and skill cast bar. Is this true and if so where can I find said Lua addon????? I am looking for a Lua addon that can fully replace my in game UI so that I can just F9 the in game UI. Any help???? Thanks in advance :)

2. Toular

Toular Avatar

This is not true. At this time Lua can not initiate any skills. Or do anything that results in any sort of traffic to the game server. There are long term plans to possibly allow something like that, but that is not currently available.

And here's a forum on LUA addons.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  3. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

It might not be possible to do that, but can Lua be used to create indicators? As in, Lua looks at what I have on my combat bar, and displays it on screen. If I want to use a skill on my combat bar, and I do so by hitting the keyboard hotkey, the Lua ui shows which one I pressed, even though "under the hood" I'm still using the in-game combat bar. Wouldn't work with mouse clicks, obviously.

Not that I really want this, just curious if it could be done that way to replace the game ui.

4. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

It would be incredibly tedious but you could partially accomplish something like this. Lua has no access to any information about your current skillbars or deck. A system could be written where you tell it what skills are on your skill bars and what the key mapping is but creation and maintenance by the player would be very difficult. Once that hurdle is accomplished then you have the issue of was the cast/activation successful and when does the indicator go away or stop showing as activated. Unfortunately Lua does not provide any information on current buffs active on the player. Certain stats can be used to try to indicate a buff being active which is what my mod is based upon, but until Lua can provide this information it cant be perfect due to many different factors that affect buff values (and in-turn affect the stat values) and length. Spells cast provide another indication of activation as the words-of-power can be detected, but again after the initial cast indicator there is nothing about expiration other than observing stat values.

In the end I personally don't think Lua is in a state right now to feasibly accomplish anything that would be of value as even a partial UI replacement.

Anpu likes this.
  5. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I see. I know very little about what Lua can and can't do . I suppose if Lua could "read" the state of your combat bar and display what skills you've activated and cooldowns etc. somebody would have come up with this already ad a UI workaround.

6. oplek

oplek Avatar

Like player dungeons not having interconnected events with NPC dialogs, this will be the reason why LUA is ultimately a wasted endeavor. They need to go for the gold here.

I play WoW classic off and on, and when I started playing, it was like the clouds parted, and a sunbeam cast down upon a "Sell Junk" button I had on my UI, because I installed an Addon. How I wish something like that existed here.

We don't need 500 statistics addons.

7. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

Ya. I hear you. Here's my prediction. Lua started as a "new and fresh" idea that everyone was excited about. they put somethings out that some people were able to do somethings with but its not completed by a long shot. My prediction. Lua is going the way of every other system they were excited about at first and then stopped developing before actually reaching the finish line. Why do I say this? because its been a pattern I've seen repeated over and over and over again thru the years as shown by just recently when chris basically said they are done working on dungeon stuff for the time even though dungeons is far from complete (at least complete based on the original idea sold to us) and I even heard Elgarion say this as well. That's my prediction, Lua will never fully be completed, we will never be able to fully replace the existing UI and chris has no plans to actually give us a quality UI that has been asked for. Could I be wrong??? sure. a broken clock is right once or twice a day but I doubt I am.... Anybody care to prove me wrong??? Anybody???

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    Grumpy Krabnevir, Rinaldi and oplek like this.
  8. oplek

oplek Avatar

Maybe in the distant future, they'll circle back... round-robin style. The problem is that they keep adding new things to that circle. So they're walking the circumference of that circle, as the radius is getting bigger.

The point to be made to those yelling SMALL TEAMâ„¢ is that dungeons was developer time wasted. They did not see it through, so it was for nothing... the time that could have been spent on something else. There's no incentive to visit anyone else's dungeon. Time was wasted on dungeons, obsidian trials, the tenent system, inky, etc. Being a small team isn't the issue.

Back to completedness - imagine if the developers of MarioMaker stopped at the ability to add 3 different kinds of static blocks, goombas, and a flagpole... and that's it'. Oh, maybe another 3 static block types that you can purchase. The game would not have been successful. But they pushed it, and polished it, and people loved it. SOTA's philosophy is taking the bare minimum to the max. What we have is a mishmash of mockups and prototypes.

I've been waiting for Lua to become something interesting. I had hopes of creating some kind of "survival mode" mod. It has the potential to transform the game in ways the devs can't manage. I've been waiting a very long time now.

Grumpy Krabnevir and Rinaldi like this.
  9. oplek

oplek Avatar

There's just this kind of chronic aloofness... like with dungeons. They're the only ones who think they're done. It makes me wonder what it was they thought they were making.

Grumpy Krabnevir, Rinaldi and Charon like this.
  10. GMDavros

GMDavros Avatar

heh. long term plans. Good luck.

Fenris

11. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

The going trend on development in SOTA is like a wheel, it goes round. They do add new content ever patch for the most part well working on core system improvements. Some items end up delayed because underlining tech needs to be fixed or changed to support which most times can delay things and or create phase approach. Sometimes they attempt to release some of the changes only to find that with out changing the backend a lot it would break other things and or limit things which later if changed would require a complete rework. So the approach of hitting walls than standing back and looking at a bigger picture seems to be the norm. once they hit these walls and meet and decide on direction it could mean the larger changes on the back end which could delay things for months so they shift focus to lower fruit well that gets all sorted out. myself I understand or see it this way but like many really want these systems sooner than later as it always seems to take forever. I think in streams they should be more clear on time frames as we get excited for releases only to find out all the wonderful ideas never made it for the patch which is a downer that is for sure. it would be better if they say hey we will have this in X releases so that we are not disappointed as often which can lead to some getting tired and frustrated. But at the same time we need to understand they are a very small team and with that expect long delays on the things we expect. :) this is just my opinion on what I see.

12. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

To those yelling this I would add something else. Just because a team is small doesn't mean they can't accomplish amazing things if properly lead and focused. The ONLY thing a small team may be able to claim in my opinion is they maybe can't do as much, as quickly and say a well funded 100 man amazon team though a "winning" small team with a "winning" attitude would say "bring it on amazon, we'll kick your ass" and they may well do that. As someone who's lead small teams, I've seen small teams work circles around bigger teams. It takes leadership which chris is lacking in my opinion. Chris is like the parent who is always trying to be his kids best friend and as such never holds his kid accountable, etc, etc. etc. Every live stream he does, he starts it off by trying to convince everyone how hard he works and how tired he is and all it does is show him as weak, unprepared, NOT a leader. You don't have to convince someone your a hard worker if you are, your work speaks for you and who cares if your tired. We are all tired in the professional world. Small teams need to be laser focused on one task at a time worked till completion before moving to the next then laser focused on the next until completion. As the list of Half finished systems in this game continues to grow, quest/journal system, crafting system, vendor system, UI system, dungeon system, Lua system, Not redoing episode one stuff, just to name a few, this game is destined to fail regardless of everyone's "best intentions" You know what they say about the road to hell right?????

13. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

I do agree they get side tracked a little sometimes, but there are many issues with old section of code and rewriting the old to make it work with new unity etc eats a lot of time. mind you they could just pull the trigger and say hey this month there will be no new things only fixes and or completion of X which most I think would be fine with but like many things there will be lots that complain. I think the last few releases was more about fixing some broken systems as well preparing for the larger picture. Well I agree some teams are more laser focused with this teams they each seem to have different skill sets so I would suspect that some only work on specific tasks where there could only be 2 that actually program which would explain why it takes longer than usual. I can tell you as a coder myself that some projects that I thought would take 2 months to complete ended up almost a year because of issues that we discovered along the way. All I can do is inform my clients that its taking longer than normal even if they are pushing me and or offering me more money at the end of the day there is only so much I can do in an 8 hour day and I am not a robot so I tend to have sympathy with the devs a lot lol.

14. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

This is what they should do in my opinion. Maybe more than a month. maybe a six month window and in that time laser focus on major core systems and getting them up to a level that many want them at. Yes, people will complain but people are complaining now but if they actually bring all these half finished systems to the finish line, I feel much of the complaints will go away. Sure people always complain but if your overall project is amazing, than all is fine. All I can say is where I am at now with the game. Having been a long time supporter of the game both monetarily and with my personal time, I have reached a point where I have lost a lot of faith in them and find myself looking elsewhere. My eye is currently on New World or Ashes of Creation or both and that sucks because of how much I've invested in this game and now to feel like I was just strung along, taken advantage of. I'm still playing (currently logged decoing my place) and there is a smidge of hope in me but you know what they say, "hope in one hand, pour rice in the other and see which one fills up first" lol

15. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

As I see it the main problem is (lack of) focus - feels like they are jumping from one shiny new idea to another without completing any of them past 80% done.

That and an obsession with 'balance' - if loads of people are doing (and enjoying) one thing that's seen as a problem that needs fixed (ie nerfed to hell and back) - we saw it with CPs, then UT, soon no doubt with ERG....

ShurTugal likes this.
  16. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

It is very frustrating that they always choose the easy option and nerf. It just means the next best thing to do becomes the thing to do, and the rest of the game still gets neglected. I thought maybe they were going to turn things around when Tartarus went in. Good XP, decent levels of loot, unique drops that aren't too rare, and some that benefit from the artifact combining system so that you'll keep going back even once you get a full set. Then they came out with Spindelskog, which ended up as an also-ran. Good XP, unique combinable drops... but the other loot is truly awful, and the unique drops are so rare it's painful and boring to farm them. And even if you get enough to combine (and already have the even-more-rare recipe needed to do that) the end result is a 10 minute potion that isn't even close to worth the effort involved. It just makes me wonder if they ever really think anything through at all. Just once I'd like to hear the devs defend their decisions when 3/4 of the player base hates something in the game, instead of just ignoring us. I mean, it's entirely possible they have good reasons for doing something the way they've done it. I may not agree with those reasons, but hearing them would be better than feeling like they just throw crap at the wall to see what sticks, then leaving the room before they see any of it sliding down to the floor.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    Scanphor, Anpu and ShurTugal like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.