Apparently, they fired the Lawyer too.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bugmaster77, Aug 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. necronut

necronut Avatar

[​IMG]

Elrond and scroda like this.
  2. Dulayne

Dulayne Avatar

Yes let the screenshot war begin! Had that happen to me a few times too lol.

3. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne Avatar

[​IMG]

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  4. necronut

necronut Avatar

5. Lace

Lace Avatar

I am late on commenting but many other games after achieving a level/degree of respect, it did allow folks within the same class to silence folks being stupid. It could only be executed so often but yes you could do whatwas called "THUMP" another player shutting them up from being a dumbass.

This is nothing new so stop crying.

Tazar, Prada, Scooby Doo and 4 others like this.
  6. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Haha it makes me happy to know that these trolls still exist. Lurking in the shadows, straight up wasting their time trying to bring down a game they don't play anymore. I wish I had enough free time I could just waste my life away trying to be an internet hero.
    You think deleting posts on an internet forum that they own can be used as destroying evidence in court? That's one of the dumbest things I've ever read on here. Thanks for a good laugh :D

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  7. City Slicker

City Slicker Avatar

These are some excellent Points by the OP.. i think come monday morning i might start thinking about making some contacts regarding this subject so that way i can get some more information on it.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  8. Merrik

Merrik Bug Hunter

I wish people would stop citing the "Counselor Revolt" incident as if they won.. they didn't.. I challenge anyone to find a ruling.. you can't cause it was settled out of court without fault being found on behalf of Origin... which mean BY LAW you cant cite it.. that's slander... since you act like you know it all Mr. Lawyer.. you should know that...

I was a counselor.. I did not take part in this crap.. in fact.. if I remember correctly... only 4 people did... so again, please stop acting like it was all counselors and was some kind of victory.. it wasn't either

Counselors were VOLENTEERS NOT EMPLOYEES!!!... no law requires you to pay volenteers for "services reendered" you cant change the narative by simply calling them what you want...

Scooby Doo, Scanphor, Tazar and 2 others like this.
  9. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

No - Portalarium, Inc is still a separate corporation created in Deleware with a current legal status of: Active (You can do an entity search for the Texas Comptroller's office, or the Delaware Division of corporations) and the primary shareholder of record is listed as Richard Garriott. Operating assets (SOTA) were transferred to Catnip Games to operate.

Sean Silverfoot, Anpu and Merrik like this.
  10. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

So, if assets were transferred to Catnip to 'operate' , who is the legal owner of the assets? Is Catnip leasing the rights to operate them? Does Portalarium still maintain ownership?

Merrik likes this.
  11. Merrik

Merrik Bug Hunter

I Believe, as the two entities are part of the same parent company, Catnip inherits all rights of Portalarium without the later loosing anything...

(Please keep in mind i am not a lawyer and am not in any way an authority on this subject)

evillego6 likes this.
  12. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

That is something i hadn't heard before, I was under the impression from Chris' streams that he had this dba existing already on his own, and never mentioned it being owned by a parent company, much less the same company that owns Portalarium. Who is the parent company?
    If Catnip inherits the rights, doesn't it also inherit the liabilities? If one company owns them both, then what really changed other than allowing the others to skip out on any responsibility yet retain the rights to any profits?

Just asking out of legal curiosity, i have no dog in the hunt.

13. Merrik

Merrik Bug Hunter

sorry my wording confused that...
    during a talk with Richard and Chris the impression we got was more along the lines of Portalarium is a Production company.. Catnip is the Game Designer.. Portalarium owns the rights and Catnip, as a Contractor working under Portalarium, has all rights to use the properties...

i hop that clearifies it..
    Please.. if anyone else that was present can put it in better words now's a good time to chirp :p (cause i REALLY dont wana dig out and dig through the videos)

craftymethod and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  14. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

Well, it does to an extent. So, Portalarium still technically owns SotA, Chris' company is a subcontractor tasked with developing the game, which expains why he still has to not go against Richard's wishes when it comes to the game design, and of course if the game ever turns a profit, Richard, err, i mean Portalarium *wink* is right there to collect. (which is a longshot at this point, i think we can all agree).

That clears that up, the only other ambiguous part to your original statement is that you intimated that Catnip was also owned by a Parent company that owns Portalarium. Is that accurate? , or is Chris' company his own and he is indeed just a contractor without ownership (other than anything he may retain if he is somehow due that from his original employment or if he is somehow part owner of the parent company? You can see how this can be confusing.

If both are owned by a parent company, why all the switcheroo?

15. Merrik

Merrik Bug Hunter

that depends entirely on the structure of the company.. ones insurance may cover more or less depending on the structure...
    for the record, nothing really did change.. there are some minor distinctions... but it isn't my place to get into those... you have to ask Richard, Chris, and their lawyer... :D
    the change of company had nothing to do with "skipping out on responsibilities" like the conspiracy nuts and doomsayers are yapping about.... it was to help relieve financial stresses and placed them in a different tax bracket so to say...

Scooby Doo and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  16. Merrik

Merrik Bug Hunter

yes i worded that wrong.. they are Separately owned according to public record

17. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

Thank you for taking the time to contribute your information.

I agree my phrasing probably doesn't accurately tell the story, but it did allow them to make wholesale changes that needed to be made because it was evident that they couldn't continue with the costs that they had, with a revenue stream that was quickly dying. I do think however that your phrase 'conspiracy nuts and doomsayers' is equally innacurate, as it's unfair to label customers with those terms when you look at the history of the development and the current quantity of remaining customers compared to the initial years. Considering Portalarium had to dump their project to a sub-contractor to cut overhead costs and solidify a much lower operating cost going forward, and considering the current game population, I think it would be a hard argument to say they were wrong and deserved of such labels.

18. Merrik

Merrik Bug Hunter

well. they are making overhead and payroll and thats all they realy care about in the end.. from the beginning Richard said he was making the game for us... it isnt like he needs the money LOL

you are right i shouldn't have said it like that.. i was refering to the redit guys who started the rumors that they only did the change to dodge their "responisbilities" .. i didnt mean the people who are actualy actively playing the game...

19. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings all
    Just wanted to chime in with an example. Currently Microsoft is trying to BUY TicToc (an Asset) from the company ByteDance. If the sale goes thru then Microsoft would OWN the ByteDance asset in whole and ByteDance would not have any rights or make any money from that asset. Nor would Microsoft have any ownership in ByteDance. This is my understanding on the sale of Shroud of the Avatar which was an asset of Portalarium and that is what was sold to Catnip Games which Chris owns. I am hoping Port and Richard come up with some great idea to make money in the near future and my Port Stock will increase in value. I Personally do not believe that my Port stock is tied to SotA anymore but I was not part of the sale and I definitely am not a lawyer.

20. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

I believe in those early videos after the sale/purchase that Chris said the opposite is true and that Portalarium is more like a division of Catnip now. It exists on paper, but all assets were transferred to Catnip.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.