I don't understand the poll

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nick, Aug 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

The point is that after all the confusion he can point at said confusion and say "See, it's all relative!"

2. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

I read it as

Hi Guys! For this car that has no tires, engine or steering wheel,
    I'd like to see some driver perspectives from people who have been driving it a while and people who just sat down.

What do you think about the

1) Cornering

i) Turns too sharp
    ii) Turns too slow
    iii) Just right

2) Acceleration

i) Too fast
    ii) Too slow
    iii) Hard to tell

3) Paint Job

i) Too Shiny
    ii) Too Dull
    iii) It's Painted?

3. Jikininki

Jikininki Avatar

Guys seriously, Chris is an industry professional. He knows all these answers, he just wants to make sure you're paying attention.

4. the Lacedaemonian

the Lacedaemonian Avatar

This is the kind of stuff that keeps people from coming back. Like me.

Is client performance still trash? I thought that was a priority for this release.

5. Dulayne

Dulayne Avatar

There's a lot of heat here for a guy trying to gather data.

[​IMG]
    Come on guys be carbon neutral and use that heat to give your two cents in an energy efficient way.

6. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

Good grief have seen it all now !

7. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

Oh you mean the guy who is supposed to be designing the game and therefore understand the mechanics anyway ?

8. Dulayne

Dulayne Avatar

Temperature. Rising.

9. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

I missed the point too.
    If I`m making build specific high-end gear 5x3 4x4 gear (I think it is recognized as high end), enchants "weight" will be completely different depends on my build. If I`m making for fire mage PVE it will be major INT best enchant on armor, If I`m making for bard it will be major focus, if for PVP as a heavy mage - major HP.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    Tiina Onir and CatherineRose like this.
  10. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

I mean the poll in itself was so poorly done because of relative things like different builds and what not, but if it could bring balance (ex.: helping an Attack Speed focused build get close to the numbers a pure Strength build would) that would be neat.

The biggest issue lies in what the players think a stat does, which is the most stupid thing to leave to chance ever. Adventurer Level is the perfect example here, some people think it gives hit chance relative to the mobs AL, others think it doesn't. This means someone who thinks it gives hit chance will consider AL to be VERY good, the others will consider AL to be a semi trash stat...

Also, I don't think people considered how the questions were formulated, I mean if I look at the results, people consider 5% faster casting speed the equivalent of 50 points of Strength! This means that instead of casting a spell in 3 seconds, it will be cast in 2.85 seconds, do you seriously think 0.15 seconds improvement from 3 seconds is worth 50 points of strength? Lets remind ourselves here that 50 points of strength can be a decent chunk of damage, an extra 100-150 health, some more carry capacity AND some CC resistance, so Dmg+Survivability+Utility+Resistance = 0.01 second of faster casting time...

I'll use Rook's post, and say that right now, we have someone asking a group of blind people asking them how that car drives... ohh and of course they only picked 3 blind people, they didn't even try to ask as many blind people as possible...

And this game is becoming an even bigger joke than I had anticipated...

11. Nick

Nick Avatar

12. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

"For each stat below, tell how many points is approximately equal value to a +10 strength bonus buff."

So basically, 1% crit chance = 10 Strength, 1% cast speed multiplier (not 0.1, 0.01!) = 10 Strength.... Ohh and 1 AL = 8 Strength... Yup, this looks like the kind of balance that could bring me back...

13. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

The entire point of "would you pick this or that" is completely moot in a system that by design, does not let players pick bonuses.
    Why does it matter if 10 int is more valuable to me than 10 strength when the main decider in that is blind chance?

As for the results themselves, I don't really know what decisions can be made from this.
    Stat requirements vary significantly for different builds. I run exclusively as a magic user, 10 strength just isn't that important, int is far more important. I tried to approach this somewhat agnostically, like "how much of x would I need to take that instead of 10 int" and answer appropriately. Some things simply don't compute though - something like carrying capacity would never be an appropriate trade off as it does nothing to enhance my combat effectiveness. Something like a + adventure level bonus, well, I'm not convinced it even does anything. Also consider that the +% stuff isn't linear, it does some sort of sotamath, so +5% crit chance isnt ACTUALLY +5% crit chance ....

Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful that the questions are being asked, just not sure how useful the results are in this format.

14. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

this hole "relative value" concept is completely ridiculous because there is nothing "relative" about the stats in this game. Your goal for the build quite literally determines what stat you choose. Are they trying to say that as a fire mage a point of INT is worth 76.92 percent as much as strength????? that sounds to me like they are saying strength is more valuable as a fire mage. I'd hate to be THAT fire mage running around with strength @Chris Also, what is this doing to actually bring people back to the game who have left? Or retaining those who are about to leave???

15. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Dang it’s over already? I wanted to help but I have no idea how to compare STR to other stats and skills mentioned in the survey.

It would be helpful if we could see in game how 1 thing affects another.

Ex: you hover over a new ring you found and it you see a tooltip / preview with all the stuff that equipping it will change, with different colored highlights if it’s increasing or decreasing, and the # change.

Sorta like this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

majoria70, Cordelayne, Anpu and 3 others like this.
  16. Nick

Nick Avatar

Well, at least someone understood the survey and answered them. :)

But is the sample size big enough to give an accurate picture? Won't it have been better if he interviewed 10 archers, 10 mages and 10 fighters?

17. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

did those who actually answer this actually understand or did they just put some random numbers into the poll????? I think they just threw some numbers in and now what ever comes of this won't help us at all...

18. Nick

Nick Avatar

Not sure about that, but 30 (different?) players took the survey.

19. CatherineRose

CatherineRose Avatar

If Chris truly wants to make the game better it would be great if he listened and took advice from those of you are long term players who are skilled in the area of the question and then cared to take the advice of those skilled players. Why ask a person who does not know how to bake how the bake a cake. Why ask a person how to fix a car engine when that person doesn't know where the engine is? Why ask a person how to paint a picture if that person has never painted a picture. How can the mechanics of making a game be understood if the person never plays. When one wants expert advice one should go to a true expert not to one who just thinks and advertises himself as an expert.

One time I had brain surgery. My very expert Dr. sent me to not just an expert but an expert who had done that type brain surgery many many times. My life depended on how accurate the Dr. was in his ability.

So it is with anything needed. The expert is the best place to go when accuracy is desired.

20. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

I would need to know who these "30" people are. My observations from day to day is that a VAST majority of players in this game don't understand how to fully optimize their builds which to me means they don't fully understand the stats and what is important based on various scenarios. If the "30" people who answered this are these same people, then their input is meaningless and won't actually help the game because they, themselves don't understand the game dynamics...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.