I don't understand the poll

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nick, Aug 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

We've asked for that for years, very explicitly, and have been reminded multiple times, that not having this information available to players is by design, per Richard.

Chris, Cordelayne and CatherineRose like this.
  2. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

I'm aware. I have been there. This is hardly the first time I've mentioned it.

Grumpy Krabnevir likes this.
  3. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

Alright bud. I will answer your twitter question to me here because I need more than 240 characters (or what ever it is) to answer @Chris plus twitter is kinda a Meh platform for me. So, your first statement "feel free to clarify your vague statement accusing us of working on the wrong stuff with specifics if you want." is very confrontational. I never said your "working on the wrong stuff" I said "Time could be better spent in other areas that so many people are so unhappy about..." There is a very distinct difference between these two statements. The "wrong stuff" would imply you should never be working on this, "better spent" means while there is some benefit (possibly) on working on this, you would have a bigger impact focusing your attention elsewhere. We will never be able to have a conversation if you go straight to confrontational and misrepresent what I say. Also, everything I say is one mans perspective and I make no claims that my views are universally accepted. This is just me talking.

That said, I don't think there was anything "vague" about my statement. You have to be aware of the NUMEROUS posts people such as elrond, lace, majoria70, and others have put up over the years regarding what they think is important. You are aware aren't you? Those concerns range from the terrible journal @questing system, to the lack of any meaningful achievement system (do you know how many people love hunting those achievements in games??) to the terrible vendor UI/functionality, to the concept of the vendor system (which really promotes monopolies and is painful to shop through) really needing a rethink/improvement and brought into the modern age, to PVE/raid/dungeon, etc to terrible loot drops, to a terrible UI which also really needs brought into the modern age (I don't believe LUA will fix this and I've played games with a great UI so I have a pretty good idea what works), to PvP (what ever happened to castle seiges. I remember talk in the beginning of something like that) I could go on and on and on. The big answer to all these concerns could well be, your just not capable of fixing these systems for any number of reasons and so we may be stuck with these. If that's the case, I just don't see this game succeeding long term. You may limp along for a year or two or so but ultimately, no.

As a gamer, when I play mmo's, there is a very specific foundation of systems the game is built on that makes the game enjoyable and engaging. Many of those systems are listed above and successful games understand this and work really hard to build a solid foundation. You have not built a solid foundation upon which to build a great game and yet your running full steam ahead with episode 2 when episode 1 (where new players start at) is such a mess. the running theme is you never finish one system before running off to the next shiny. This feels spot on accurate to me. Maybe it comes back to your just not capable, for any number or reasons I may not be privy to, of actually fixing your foundation. I don't know. Either way, that's what I meant by my "vague" statement.

You said "make gear more balanced and meaningful is long overdue and helps both adventurers, crafters, and the economy". This is not accurate exactly (my current "crafted" gear I use is more than adequate and I have never had to replace it for quite some time now) with the exception of artifacts. Artifacts should have NEVER been added to a game where the end all and be all of gear was meant to be crafted. If you really felt passionate about adding artifacts, you should have done it where they had individual components that a crafter could salvage and get (100 percent of the time based on skill level. don't get me started with RNG) where they could then craft something new using the component and you most certainly should NEVER have allowed artifacts to be combined to make more powerful versions. OMG! what were you thinking?? You have quite literally created this "imbalance" your alleging to trying to fix. But you didn't learn, You created bandit gear which then destroyed the normal crafting game for leather armor crafters. Now everyone who needs leather runs around in bandit gear (and if they are not they are not doing it right) This blew up at you but you still didn't learn from this, you came out with the casting version of armor and then the taming version of armor, all the while saying "you need to phase artifacts away and have it so artifacts have components crafters can use to create actual crafted gear" Oh wait, your phasing artifacts away slowly right? all the time adding more?? Don't phase it out slowly. Just do it, overnight in a major patch, all artifacts in game moving will have specific components crafters can use moving forward, durability damage on the actual artifact is jacked really high so if you choose (I don't think most people would though) to use it, it would break quicker, jack up the drop rate on artifacts. Your excessive need to try to control the economy via regulating the drop rate is wrong. Players control the economy based on supply and demand. If a specific artifact is in high demand, sellers will jack the price to try to make some money, when the price gets to high, people will stop buying it causing sellers to lower the price etc. for artifacts in less demand, the price would be lower...etc etc.

I feel I'm getting off point. Maybe long term, you will be able to use these numbers for something. I don't know but ultimately, I feel its meaningless because your foundation is rotten and shaky. Until (and if) you fix this crappy foundation, nothing you build or tweak on top will matter. I'm slowly checking out of this game the more I contend with this crappy foundation and this is coming from a long time supporter of yours and this game for what that's worth. I have spent so much more, financially on this game over the years than I have EVER done for any other game because I wanted to support it so we would succeed but your foundations is crap bro. maybe we are in a position where you just can't fix the foundation. If that's the case, I don't know what to tell you bro. That's my feedback. thanks. Lets see how much "hate mail" I get from this post from people who claim "i'm not toxic" lol :)

4. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

Move along... These are not the droids you are looking for...

5. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

I have seen lots of suggestions on what should be changed but this is something pretty foundational. Something that is pervasive throughout Shroud is waste due to lack of balance. That is true in 98% of our food recipes, 90% of our gear, 90% of our maps, and a number of other systems as well. Before we go and add lots of new content or systems, we need to make our existing content relevant. That starts with players having a choice. Right now there is no choice because there are 2 foods that are better than anything else. I know people want work done on other crafting systems and everyone has their own idea but consumables and foods are the one thing that you can make every day and people will always want more of them.

Building new skills, new recipes, or cleaning up the UI for crafting is not useful unless this stuff gets fixed. If I don't balance the foods and instead work on improved UI for cooking, I should just fix it for convenience for the players and scrap most of the UI at the cooking table and add a "Craft bear stew" button. Please let me try and fix foundational stuff. I know you all have your own things you want fixed but it is seriously not going to be as good of use of time as me trying to fix some of the core problems that have been around for years that you've just grown numb to. I strongly believe you will appreciate it and new players will as well.

6. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

My point wasn't that this isn't something that needs done, it's that doing it on bad information may not actually be fixing the problem. While you may not be able to properly get this type of information from the game for foods, it should be possible for gear-crafting.

7. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

I think it all depend how the information is interpreter. What chris explained about the informations he was actually reading was completly different than what i had in head. It has its logic and seem to be working. Lets see if that ameliorate it now!

that_shawn_guy likes this.
  8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I'm actually excited for food to get some love.

Elrond, Anpu and Cora Cuz'avich like this.
  9. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

One of the biggest issues with balance and progression is the lack of any form of restriction on items etc - a character can be born and instantly put into and fed god gear/buffs. With that being the case there is little sense of progression. This is I think one of the main reasons lower level foods (and items) don't get used.

Just throwing some ideas out there but what if the largest enchants / MWs added a required skill level to the item rather than simply affecting durability? Not thinking adv level as that's all over the place but maybe eg high end heavy armour could require a level in the heavy armour skill tree to use etc? It would add a whole layer to crafting of making gear for people to use as they progressed.

Bedawyn and Jikininki like this.
  10. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Guys, this thread is officially off the rails and now locked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.