Useless Skills (Kinda)

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Cora Cuz'avich, Aug 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abstrax Phoenix

Abstrax Phoenix Avatar

Cocoon of Night. Don't think ive ever seen anyone use it.

2. Abstrax Phoenix

Abstrax Phoenix Avatar

Also, as someone else has said in this thread, light armor seriously doesnt need any buffs. Light armor spec is already super strong with dodge and with the draw speed from flurry. Archer doesnt need to be even MORE strong.

3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Moon Eater: This fabulous 4x skill gives you a few extra real minutes of moonlight bonus but the moon cycle is many real hours.

Net likes this.
  4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

You know, if light armor specialization were actually desirable then archers might choose it instead of tactics or air. ;)

Cora Cuz'avich likes this.
  5. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Really? Huh. I always kinda assumed it went by the day/night cycle. Guess I should read all the words.

6. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

Looks like they updated the text since I last looked at it a few weeks ago. Now it clearly states that it only affects ranged weapons.

Anpu, Barugon and Cora Cuz'avich like this.
  7. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

[​IMG]

Re-corrected - looks like the green description text of Eagle Eye still says melee:

Anpu likes this.
  8. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Just curious, did you verify that by checking to see when your dex changes or something? (I mean, I'm guessing you did, but just being sure.) It would be weird if the extra hours shown on the tooltip were "game" hours and not "real" hours, since I think the only thing in the game that measures its duration in game time is the Obsidian Potions, and no other skills do, at least that I can think of. (And even the obsidian potions only use the "game" time in the description, and show "real" time when you mouseover the status.

[EDIT- I guess technically the whiskeys use game time too in their titles. But once you start a cask, mousing over it shows you the real time left until maturity.]

9. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

compare it to sun eater, which also adds additional hours. since one real world hour is a whole day, having even half a real world hour added by sun eater would mean having the bonus permanently.

10. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Hmm. Good point. You'd think with all the time I spent learning SotA astronomy, I'd have noticed that...

So... yeah, moon eater is dumb. Mine adds 4 game hours, which is 10 real minutes (split in two) every 28 real hours.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    Net likes this.
  11. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

Should Opportunity Strike in the Subterfuge tree also get a bonus against 'downed' opponents? For example, using the Trip skill?

I don't seem to do much damage with it even after dodging an attack but my skills aren't very high. Using a bow maybe it gets better at higher levels (105 in skill 100 in backstab)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    ConjurerDragon likes this.
  12. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne Avatar

Guess you havent met an archer bard that uses light armor + Ranged spec... Its the new best thing since they buffed bard.

13. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne Avatar

Also what I mentioned above only works for dynamic decks so that might be a level of difficulty that not many people want to try. Doesnt mean its weak just because its hard.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2020
  14. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Sun Eater / Moon Eater are real headscratchers.
    Even keeping a close eye on it and trying to time what it is doing when is inconsistent at best, and the bonuses (even if you push one of these passives to 120 for attunement) are barely noticeable.
    I'd definitely put them pretty low on the useful list. If not for attunement I wouldn't bother at all.

Anpu and Barugon like this.
  15. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

Regarding Flurry. You can stack Flurry and Defensive Stance at the same time, making you not have to choose between offense and defense. I am light armor spec for the increased draw speed which can greatly increase dps if you are using low cooldown glyphs (Thrust for example). Seems very powerful to me, but I'm not a super high end player so it still probably pales in comparison to the usual fire or death specs.

16. Chiasma

Chiasma Bug Hunter

Many archers wear heavy armor and solo with 350-400+ STR and DEX. Not sure if the majority of archers wear light armor. Some of them even use berserker's stance instead of flurry as both buff cannot be active at the same time.

Also, I see most mages wear chainmail chest as well for the additional STR and defense instead of wearing a cloth armor. Higher defense make them survive, lowing the chance to interrupt casting, or even solo in some adventuring scenes.

Here are some comments for magic skills in PVE
    Sun spell - Reveal hidden - Not many people use it as player can use any area damage skill to find out hidden target

Sun spell - blind - Last for 10 seconds only for any level and any stacks.

Sun spell- Elysian Illumination - Good for melee stacking with other healing buff but the healing and damage effect do not scale well at high skill level or sun attunement. It is too weak as compared to the shield skill of other schools.

Sun spell - Solar Flare - Rarely hit any target in front of player or target with a slight difference of z-coordinate compare to player. It should hit enemy with same cone area as banish undead but further away for range 30.

Most magical summon spells except Lich, water elemental and earth elemental - Summoned pets are quite weak and do not have much specialty and practical usage

Life spell - healing burst - short radius and low healing effect. Spawning healing ray to party members heal more, faster, and work on far away target. Or cast melody of mending for close party member.

Moon spell - vanish & shadow form - stealth bonus is much weaker than the one in subterfuge tree

Moon spell - cocoon of night - not many player play as a rouge and rarely see people using it. Stealth break immediately if any enemy is hostile with player.

Moon spell - animal charm - area mesmerize spell can replace this skill completely

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    Violet Ronso likes this.
  17. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Berserker with Tactics spec gives you a pretty big crit damage bonus, on top of a speed buff. In my experience, with a high dex/dodge build, that puts out more damage than the glyph draw speed boost. Plus, except against some heavily armored targets, charged attacks do more damage, and I don't think glyph draw speed affects charging time.

Kain Darkmoor likes this.
  18. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

Ya I'm not arguing that it's better damage, I'm saying it competes in damage (would be surprised if it's that far behind) and you can still be very tanky with defensive stance at the same time. It's a "best of both worlds" spec. Plus it's just fun thrusting like 6 times in 2.5 seconds.

But by all means please make it better. :p

19. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Yes, I am looking at this thread. Not a mood thing, just a time thing. :)

20. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

does anyone use camoflauge after they unlock silent movement?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.