Armor Changes (From Twitter)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Anpu, Aug 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

https://twitter.com/catnipgames/status/1293908385037869058

As I continue to dive into numbers and values I'm finding more and more is that armor of all types is essentially a pointless holder for enchantments, MWs, and gems! The protection they provide is almost without value compared to other things. Not sure what I think about that.

Armor for hands also feels broken. Most hand and head armor has lots of extra fizzle with no incentive to use it. Means players just use wear an armor set and then cloth hands/head. Working on that as well. While it makes sense in reality modeling, it doesn't in balance or fun

I've given Obsidian armor an update to make it feel like your armor is worth wearing. Other armors will follow suit though Obsidian is obviously on the high end for difficulty and scarcity so it will be a bit more powerful. Other armors will follow likely this upcoming release.

Just passing this on. If you weren't aware, on Discord there is a #official-sota-tweets channel you can just read these tweets there as well.

2. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

It's odd to me that the head slot gets brought up. I feel like that slot is opposite what he referring to. A plate helm only has 6% fizzle chance.

3. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

People wear the Cabalyst Hoods (considered Cloth Armor), as those hoods offer WAY more than any crafted helm could. That is probably what is being referenced here.

Kain Darkmoor likes this.
  4. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Is that still true? With the major enchants and mw, I think its possible to at least equal the Stat bonuses. (Well, some of them, maybe. I don't know the hood stats offhand. I wore an indigno hood forever (10 str/10 int) and got pretty close to that on a leather helmet. Slightly higher strength, slightly lower int. Plus dodge from leather, and weapon damage from bronze and beetles. I know some of the hoods have buffs you can't get elsewhere, but they seem either situational, or have huge downsides.

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  5. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I'm all for looking at this stuff and making some improvements, but I don't think it's really true that armor is just a useless vessel for enchantments. If that were true, most people would just use cotton, plain leather, iron or copper for their armor, and most people don't, unless that's all they can afford. Base armor sets give a pretty significant boost to both weapon and spell damage and can also boost damage mitigation quite a bit, especially with multipliers like heavy armor spec and defensive.

I think the easiest way to go about improvements to armor is to look first at the things that no one uses and the things that everyone uses. Like was already said, glove fizzle is too high for what you get, and crafted helms and hoods suck compared to cabalist hoods (and in some cases even bonesteel crown). I think head slot also doesn't count towards armor type set bonus, so that makes it even more unbalanced. Add to that plate chest fizzle is super high for the benefit compared to chain, and supple leather armor sucks compared to hardened and bone, and it all sucks compared to bandit.

Damage resist masterworks are also pretty messed up, because they only give a % bonus of the piece being masterworked, so if that's cloth or leather or even heavy boots and gloves, it's a completely insignificant amount. No mage wants damage resist on their cloth armor, but it clogs up a huge % of their masterwork list. DR bonus would make a lot more sense if it was a set amount based on slot and type, or just not a thing for items with low base DR.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    Chiasma likes this.
  6. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I remember the first time I made leather armor, taking all the DR options, thinking I was going to be doing so much better. Then I put it all on and my DR was like, maybe three points higher. So bummed...

Chiasma, Kain Darkmoor and Lazlo like this.
  7. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I think most players have probably had that experience at some point, because there's no other bonus that works this way and nothing to indicate this is how these bonuses work other than the result.

8. Restless

Restless Avatar

@Chris could you please at least get some min / max and casual player feedback before making such dramatic changes?

What you are suggesting could have everyone running around in obsidian plate as a mage without worry of fizzle as a replacement for the death shield nerf. Add this together with the DR changes and there are only 1 or 2 viable classes to play for pvp and pve will be a crazy amount easier for fire mage farming.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  9. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Has he said what the actual changes are to obsidian?

10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Yay, not a nerf... :) yet. o_O

Anyone know what the actual changes are?

11. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I think the best place to start with head slot is probably just reworking cab hoods themselves. They were clearly intended to be double edged items, but most of them completely missed the mark. Nefario and Temna hoods are reasonable enough, because you give up some damage mitigation in exchange for either big str or big dex. Otoh, Dolus hood is just a free +20 int for most who use it, because the negative melee effect is of no consequence at all to a mage. Then there's Indigno, which just has no negative effect for no apparent reason. And then there's a bunch that have negatives that so far outweigh the benefit that no one ever uses them.

12. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Chris didnt give any hints about obsidian stats ..all he said is that Obsidian Plate will be improved ...the Op mixed bunch of Chris tweets together ...and now everyone is confused..one single tweet was about improving obsidian plate...
    [​IMG]

other was about improving rest of armor..other about adding fireworks to overworld ...and some thoughts in general.... so far all we know about obsidian is that it will be improved...so lets wait and see....

Arturius Magnus and Anpu like this.
  13. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Thing is you can MW/Enchant Cabalist hoods, so what you can get on a normal helm/hood, you can also get on the cabalist version + the item bonus (like that +10/+10 on the Indigno hood).

Chiasma likes this.
  14. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Ah, yeah. Derp is me.

15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I really feel that artifacts should not be masterworkable or enchantable.

Tirrag, Chiasma, Ravenscar and 3 others like this.
  16. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

"Updates to Obsidian armor. Expect to see most other armor sets having some adjustments in the next few releases"

From the latest Patch Notes.

17. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

They should be made better or more useful if so. Majority of them aren't worth wearing without enchants/mw.

18. Osunn

Osunn Avatar

The obsidian now has 5 magic resist and some chaos atunement. I play paladin - hvy armor and some casting with bludgeon. I just switched from obsidian to Acara chest due to low fizzle. Switched to bronze for the rest. This change made the obsidian worse for me but might help chaos mages. I aim for very high avoidance. With no shield and a staff I have less than 10 per cent fizzle on all spells. also the the armor durability is 25 per cent lower on the Obsidian than on bronze or meteoric plate.

19. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Was the fizzle on obsidian chests always 27%? I mean, if the only thing he changed was resist/attunement, which is clearly based on it being made with obsidian, then how is this going to be reflected in other armors?

[​IMG]

Were there changes to DR or DA at all? I have no idea what the armor was like before. (Below images are after today's patch.)

20. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.