Melees, how do you handle healing?

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Kain Darkmoor, Aug 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

Seems like food and potions can only take you so far sometimes. How do you personally handle healing yourself when it's needed?

Without int and life attunement Healing Touch can be very lackluster. All my gear has earth attunement for extra strength and also because I use stone fist to round out my 14 glyphs when fighting monsters that rend won't damage. Worth switching to life? Or maybe sun/water for those heal over times?

Curious how others handle it.

Time Lord and Rinaldi like this.
  2. Charon

Charon Avatar

Personally, I'm all teeth and no a$$ so generally speaking there's very little chance that I can heal myself through anything that I can't out damage.

That said my heals are all GM+, all my major resists are in the high 80's to 90's, I've taken the potency skill for potions and use imbued potions. I live off of avoidance and doing unto them before they can do unto me.

3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well for me I like playing a paladin type who can support and hit. So I am specialized in Bludgeons and Life but that's just what I like to do. I love my giant two handed axe. Now if we had a spinning strike I would love that. My favorite was for that effect was in the game Tera.

Time Lord, Kain Darkmoor and Rinaldi like this.
  4. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

The first thing to ask is, do you use heavy armor? From there, I can give you tactics to use.

5. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

you may think about making use of dynamic stacks in your deck too depending on what your deck is built for. my decks built for large prey consist of bard mend locked and then 2 dynamic stacks of all healing, 1 dynamic stack of mostly healing and a few buffs, and then 2 dynamic stacks of mostly buffs with a little healing. goal being a heal or series of heals available at all times and same for buffs. i would definitely raise your life skills and get that attunement up. also make use of the decks ability to use pots in the dynamic stacks making pots not have a cooldown.

for more of a spam attack dynamic deck (get to an enemy and just spam a key to attack) i have all the attacks i want and mingle in a few key buffs and fast heal spells. that way as i am spamming the attack stack i naturally heal and rebuff. i then have the rest of the deck dedicated to buffs/debuffs, support spells, greater heals, and the heavy-hitter kill skills.

also, the utility bar is your friend :) you can place an imbued heal, imbued restoration, greater heal, greater restoration, heal, restoration all in a row since using one will not affect the cooldown of another type. depending on how bad of shape you are in you can fire down the line or hopefully at least a heal pot will always be available. as Charon mentioned, train up the potency skill as well as it is a good boost at GM especially if pots are your main healing source.

and dont forget your devotional of sacrifice, food (i mostly use dragon stew and bear surprise), and pots of regen for faster combat health regen.

good luck :)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  6. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Bug Hunter

I use heavy armor and blades, with specialization in the blades and earth trees. I use the general concepts listed below to help me survive. As @Mac2 alluded to above, your build tends to dictate the more specific methods by which these general concepts can be optimally applied.

1. Minimize the damage received - I divide this into 4 main categories:
    a. Defensive skills - for example, Parry against melee attacks and douse against fire attacks. Some innate skills also reduce the risk of taking damage.
    b. Defensive equipment - for example shields reduce damage from archers, and other types of armor can be created that maximize certain defensive stats.
    c. Defensive movement & positioning - some creatures have attacks that can be avoided by jumping or moving in a certain way. Many creatures often have a "tell" movement that signals when they are going to attack. When you see that "tell", you can often move your avatar in a way that avoids the attack or hide behind cover that will negate the attack. Also, avoid getting attacked from behind and from higher ground (these tend to inflict greater damage on you).
    d. Defensive buffs that are not skill based - such as devotional buffs and 3-day blessing buffs.​
    2. Regeneration of your HP - these can be combined for maximum regen.
    a. Food
    b. Spells - i have a buff deck with in which i wear no armor (to minimize fizzle), and i use this buff deck before battle to charge (aka stack) all my buffs, including the HP regen buffs like Elysium Illumination, Soothing rain, and Healing Grace (NOTE: charging/stacking a skill typically increases the duration and/or the degree of the buff). Most of the time, these spells do not last the entire fight. However, they do keep my hit points up at the start of the battle. I sometimes put one of the regen skills in my combat deck, so i can refresh it during a long battle.
    c. Harp of invigoration -this artifact increases focus and health regen, but its effects only last 30 seconds. If you have a music sheet in your non-combat bar, you can stop for a second, get out of combat, click the music sheet, play a few notes, and then go back into combat. It adds regen for a short period of time, but during a long battle, playing a few notes every now and then can certainly help.
    d. Potions - Use the highest tier potion (imbued). you can apply these immediately before battle. If you have the potions on your non-combat bar, you can also use them during battle.​
    3. Healing
    a. The invigoration 3-day healing buff gives you +10% healing capacity on all your healing glyphs.
    b. Potion - use imbued potions if possible. Also, the new elixer receptive skill can increase the healing capacity of potions.
    c. Skills - such as healing touch. As noted in the post above, you can charge these to get greater effect, but while you are charging the spell, you will likely get wacked by the enemy.
    d. Join a party with a healer or bard
    e. Water elemental - I don't use this, but the water elemental can heal you a very modest amount when you have it summoned.​
    4. Kill the enemy as fast as possible !

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
  7. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Great advice here! For myself, my alt uses no magic (but currently wears heavy armor), so for him it is healing potions and food. Also, don't be afraid to run - there's an art to that as well!

8. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

you can use it while in combat. it will knock you out of combat to do so, unless you hurry and get back into it before the bar falls. i get out of combat by playing that harp more often than i do by pushing z, it's just become habit.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  9. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

I use light armor. I'm blade and light armor spec. I'm not super hardcore though and largely make my decisions on sometimes trivial things like wearing armor I think looks cool and using abilities that I can stomach the animations. For example I don't like using Whirling Blades because the animation is so bad. Just can't do it no matter how hard I try lol.

Bowen Bloodgood and Time Lord like this.
  10. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

You can still heal quite a bit without big int and attunement if you use fitz lute and heal mod blessing. Bard mending is pretty good too and basically has no requirements. You can either do that or go big on mitigation and regen. The latter is harder to do with blades since no mossy handles or weapon stuns.

In any case, continuous instrument with quick click and redraw is just melee life. Too good not to use imo.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Ok, well do you have any cc abilities? Like the body slam ability is just awesome for blade users, and with heavy armor spec and the body slam stun length masterwork on the chest, its amazing. 100 in spec and a 6 stack body slam is like a 14 second stun.

12. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

I just can't get past the durability ding. I feel like I am always repairing my armor and weapons, and I won't even consider any other blessings for my first one aside from maintenance. I know that;s the merchant in me talking, trying to save a buck and that's not very metal, but man that's why I took air spec. Gust puts enough distance and potential stun and can be spammed very quickly, buys enough time to drink a potion in a lot of situations.

Kain Darkmoor and Time Lord like this.
  13. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Bodyslam actually saves your armor, if you body slam it, and kill it before it gets a hit off on you you have taken 0 dura damage to your armor.

14. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

I can see that working on some things, thanks for the tip :D

T3+ Liches and Trolls in dungeons, however, are hard to kill in packs even in 14 seconds

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Hi @Mac2 !, always good to read your posts but :eek: "are you insane?" :( I must not be doing something right when it comes to Bodyslam.

I have always used light armor on my previous characters, so I'm a real novice when it comes to heavy armor. I'm currently working on my third iteration of the TimeLord character and this one is using heavy armor.

So, a few weeks ago,I started using Bodyslam while wearing my founder plate armor in low level areas. I didn't pay much attention to the warning of causing more damage to my armor when using Bodyslam. Everything seemed fine at first and I kept checking my armor sort of regularly. I thought it was a glitch when it first happened, but all of a sudden while in very low level combat, my armor went from 100/100 to 0/100 in a single use of Bodyslam! :confused: I was like... wtf? o_O f'Bodyslam :(...

That continued to happen again and again causing me to be forced back home constantly spending gold into repair kits :confused:

So, this is my question Mac2, "should I carry two or three sets of armor with me or begin making my own repair kits, or what?" Either way, Bodyslam has not been a winning venture for the Time Lord, so I must be doing something wrong :( "what's up with that?"

On an almost totally unrelated derailing Bodyslam side note*
    *Bodyslam is also a very popular Thai Band here in Asia :D

Maybe there's a better time or era of adventure level this works better in? I must be missing something about this skill that makes it worth it.
    This isn't a burn notice, it's just my early skill level encounter using it.
    I dropped it until I can better see it's benefits more clearly.
    I need some Bodyslam help! ~Time Lord~o_O

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    Boris Mondragon and Sara Dreygon like this.
  16. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

ya, if you fighting packs of stuff you are going to be getting hit.

WOA, I have never seen that happen.

As a dual wielding melee build I try not to pull more then 2 things at once.

17. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I'm thinking it may be the founder plate armor? That stuff is just as thin skinned as any COTO shop purchased armor.

It happened to me a few times and it was always the chest piece that instantly went to zero. Almost no player I've seen still uses founder armor and I only use it because it's indestructible. I'm also using shields skill along with the founder plate.

As far as drawing mobs, while training up shields and heavy armor, I've been allowing allot of things at once to eat on me, but as soon as I use Bodyslam maybe 3-4 times, the totally damaged equipment warning icon appears.

What is your general experience in the amount of ware while using Bodyslam, and what general grade of armor are you using? You're not using COTO shop equipment are you?

Whatcha' Tink? ~TL~

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  18. Vesper

Vesper Avatar

If any armour is going from 100 - 0 instantly, that’s definitely a bug.

19. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

20. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Sara Dreygon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.