Melees, how do you handle healing?

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Kain Darkmoor, Aug 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

@Bowen Bloodgood 's comment is well founded and had great impact on my thought's, as his was one of morality, virtues and mindset within personalized character cannon. Unique challenges have characterized (almost) all my skill set combos, with a dash of resistance to using magic in all it's SOTA forms, which cannot be strictly adhered to because magic touches almost every corner within our SOTA play. Forging ahead with the bare minimum of magical ability is a part of the new TimeLord, as I enjoy "flawed characters".

@Tirrag , all powerful characters, encompassing all branches of skills needed to get to the top of the food chain, is extremely boring to me because it is all too common a goal for most players. Nystal TimeLord (his first iteration) was this way and thus deleted before extra character slots became available, or I may have saved him. He was never "the" best, but there were times he would place in the top 3 monster killers in the game. He was very much a test vehicle for many things I wanted to test out within the early times. I may take you up on some hunting later when the flaws within my character become more pronounced :)

Sir @Bowen Bloodgood , your comment was strait to the mark. Though I am a great supporter of cannibalism in our game, my aim was for it to have irreversible consequence. Now it seems that our game is, "cannibal light", where there seems no consequence at all. I think it's a real shame we nerfed it and made it common.

"I tried human flesh, and it's too salty" :confused: but,
    [​IMG]
    drank maybe with the right amount of garlic?

@Charon , I may be looking into that of which you speak, as magic passive skills seem OK. Maybe I'll boost some progress through using some Earth Magic, then drop it later while retaining the innate. Currently my Exp drain matches my skill gains without depleting it. Currently I'm watching the total amount of Exp I have invested into skills, so as not to be forced into fighting more time consuming monsters for Exp gains too early. Maybe I'll wait till Heavy Armor, Shields and Bludgeoned hit 100, then top it off with your suggestion.

For Now:

• Bludgeon
    • Heavy Armor
    • Shields
    • Healing Touch
    • Potions, with a dash of corps wax for flavor! o_O...
    ~TL~:D

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Actually, I'm fairly certain that corpse wax as an ingredient was originally intended as a place holder. I had confirmed this with Starr at one point if that was the case and if we could expect a new ingredient. This is one of those extremely low priority items that will probably never be addressed.. I personally find it breaks my own personal sense of immersion as it makes absolutely (showing great restraint here) no flipping sense what-so-ever. Setting that aside, I'm a little sensitive to the sensibility of others. While I would not be personally offended by having cannibalism in the game, it GREATLY depends on how it was handled. Using corpse wax in healing potions, and then starting new characters off with them in their inventory with no knowledge of the ingredients.. only to find out later.. never really sat well with me. Anyway...

As for training up magical innate skills, I'm a little more flexible. Bowen has never relied on magic in combat. (well apart from shrine buffs). probably couldn't cast his way out of a paper bag, but I did train up the innates. In this case, I don't let the game mechanic define for me my vision of the character. I think of it as developing natural resistances. ie.. learning how to take a hit, be it physical or magical. After all, those resistance skills go up on their own when you get hit. Apart from getting the minimum prerequisite, I maxed my innate skills without a single spell cast.

Sara Dreygon and Time Lord like this.
  3. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Truly inspirational Sir @Bowen Bloodgood . I remember when we began this journey that you and I were two of the few that wished to keep our characters as "human from Earth" as possible. You obviously lasted much longer on that trail than I did. Using no magic is quite a feat for as long as you've been dedicated to our game.

Funneling all your efforts into melee for so long, you must have some stats of great power, as it's a much tighter fit for all that built up Exp when excluding magic.

You are most likely the oldest active character relying on no magical skills other than innate!
    "Do you feel limited with all that melee power when compared with other more normal magical avatars?"

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    Sara Dreygon likes this.
  4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I wouldn't exactly say I'm a high powered character but I can get by, it just takes a bit of patience. Still quite a few things I can't solo as I'm only around level 115ish? And that took a friend to help.. then again I never played 80+ hours a week like some people. :) I don't have any skills over.. 101 (and that 1 was unintended :) ). As I said earlier, it's just picking the fights and knowing when to back off. Still, I can hold my own pretty well in a group now and I'm happy with that (if I ever find myself in a group). It's pretty fun to knock a named troll on his ugly backside.

I don't bother comparing myself to other characters. Don't see any point. I'm not competing for the best build, trying to keep up with anyone or win at PvP. I just want to be as true to my character as possible.

Besides, if I ever get the urge to throw some spells I have other characters for that. ;)

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.