I really, really hope the new scene has lots of lore references.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cora Cuz'avich, Sep 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Because “High above the mountain peaks of Mistrendur floats the crumbling remains of a civilization whose origins are lost to time. Only the greatest adventurers will decipher the secrets, survive the threats, and discover the true nature of the Well of Aldur” shouldn't just be an excuse to use a bunch of ruins without any ties to the game.

Plus, if you're gonna go with the "crumbling remains of a civilization whose origins are lost to time" in this game, that kinda means Ultima. Don't cheap out here. (Sure, you can't directly use assets now owned by EA. But man, if we get there and this is one of the Ophidian shrines in all but name, I'ma lose my sh**.)

gtesser, Time Lord, Astirian and 4 others like this.
  2. Joe Zhudarak

Joe Zhudarak Avatar

and decent XP and loot table

Luno likes this.
  3. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Oh, now you're just being greedy. A scene with lore, good xp, and good loot? I mean, I guess there's a first time for everything.

4. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

Where's that flavor text in the first post?

5. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I hope that it's actually some fun content with a decent reward at the end and not just another wave battle scene that's impossible to do alone.

Chatele and Brent S like this.
  7. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Is this scene the LB castle one or thats another one? Because if it is the LB castle, it is supposed to be endless waves to test the players, gonna be a lame one for me I guess

Belladonna Rose likes this.
  8. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

Maybe you learn the lore as you go through the puzzle quest.

9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I think the Well of Aldur is a different scene.

Violet Ronso likes this.
  10. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I'd like to see more lore everywhere tbh. I like it when you get some kind of sense of what's going on in the world just in the ordinary course of playing. Even a lot of really old games accomplished that with mob battle text and NPC dialogue in addition to physical stuff. Even if you didn't do any quests, you would still know quite a bit about the world. That's not really the case in SotA, where most adv scenes are just an environment + dudes and most NPCs know nothing about anything other than their own existence.

This seems like it'd be a pretty easy thing to improve relative to more technical stuff.

11. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Well, that goes without saying. But the devs have expressed an unwillingness to spend much time revamping older scenes, so the best hope is for them to put stuff in new scenes.

It's just... unfortunate that one of Shroud's biggest weaknesses is the thing that's probably easiest to implement.

12. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I remember, after reading the book, how cool it was seeing all those places in-game.

13. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Me too. Until I went into some of them. Opalis was extraordinarily disappointing after reading the novel.

craftymethod and Barugon like this.
  14. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

I was a bit disappointed where they put LB's castle. I would of thought it would of been a bit further up the road....nestled in the trees or something. Not right there on the beach. Cause frankly when you go in the scene there is no beach near it. I doubt seriously i will spend too much time there as most of the time i play solo...and those wave battles are a bit rough for me on that count. Hoping the new scene of Aldur is easier for single players. But from the looks of that picture looks cool. And yes lore is good. Most npcs seem to be clueless about how things came about in the world they live in. Only complaining about the undead but no knowledge of why it happened. They dont even have any clue about the Obsidians that apparently have been around for a long time. Even the elves and kobolds are clueless as well

16. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

Whatever it takes, hold the castle, and ye shall occupy the alleged seat of power in the Novian realm?

At the very least an opportunistic ploy for the brave and ambitious?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.