Durability questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ysold, Oct 25, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ysold

Ysold Avatar

Hi folks,

I know durability has been discussed a lot already on this forum. I can understand the reason behind durability loss, but it's really getting on my nerves. I bought a new 2H-mace 2 weeks ago for 20K. Already the max. durability has dropped 21 points. Weapon preservation is at 81. At this rate, I'm getting scared to go out to hunt for fear of ruining my nice weapon! I know I can repair max. durability with COTO's, but I think that COTO's should be spent on extra's and not on normal gameplay. On the other hand, my archer character doesn't have these durability issues at all.
    Is this a problem specific for 2H-mace and should I switch to another weapon type? Or is there something else I can do to try to preserve my weapon?

I understand one of the reasons behind durability loss is to stimulate the economy and increase player sales. However, when I went shopping for a mace it took most of the day to find one. I used the Traders channel too. Is nobody making weapons for mid-level players like me?

Ysold.

Time Lord and FrostII like this.
  2. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

To answer your question is difficult. Your best chance is to find someone who is a mace user that crafts their own weapons. That person probably has hundreds of weapons at mid level stored away that they can't use personally. It takes so much effort time and money to make a good weapon for themselves that it results in tons of mid level weapons the crafter considers trash. Selling these weapons is difficult for several reasons, and for me the biggest reason is that honest pricing is impossible. I make polearms and have hundreds of these mid level polearms stored away. If I were to try to sell these, any sale would essentially be charity if reasonable pricing was used. However to have an assortment available on the vendor would fill up the vendor for the occasional sale. The crafter ends up just wasting vendor space because they could sell virtually anything else and do a good business. Selling weapons just is not smart. Best bet is to find a mace user who makes their own weapons and ask to see their trash, then offer an equitable price for the items that interest you.

3. Nick

Nick Avatar

Try to repair the mace as often as you can. I believe when durability drops after a certain point, the max durability drops as well.
    You don't really have to use the best gear for normal hunting. A 2MW and 2 Enchant mace shouldn't be too costly to replace.

If you don't need a super high end expensive gear, drop me a mail in game (Nick Cold) or PM me and I can make them for ye for a small fee (to cover the mats). Just let me know what kind of mace you require. :)

4. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

The devs still haven't figured out that an even better way to simulate an economy would be to not have everyone who hates grinding just to stay in place leave to play other games.

5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

This is not how it works. Damage is transferred to max durability as a percentage of the damage your item takes. This takes place as fractional points that you don't see on the tool-tip because the durability is rounded up to the nearest whole number for display. It also happens regardless of how often you repair your item. If you repair more often than when your item is down by 40 points of regular durability then you're only wasting repair kits.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    Time Lord, Anpu, Aldo and 1 other person like this.
  6. StarLord

StarLord Avatar

I am an archer and loose a lot of durability on my bow.
    And that with the skill at 132 = 33% , the blessing with +25% and the potion with +25% = in total 83% (assuming the percentages are added, but not sure)
    I started using a not so perfect (but still pretty good) bow with 182 durability, so it will take a while until I need a major repair.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I normally just use all indestructible gear. It's more challenging that way. [​IMG]

Time Lord and StarLord like this.
  8. Nick

Nick Avatar

Really? I must have been mistaken then. I vaguely recalled a conversation many years about durability and that we shouldn't wait too long to repair as max durability will decrease faster due to some calculation. My gear does seem to last longer when I repair often though. :p

My bad then. :)

Time Lord likes this.
  9. oplek

oplek Avatar

It's not about stimulating the economy. It's about having an economy.

It's one of the ways the game seems to want to have its cake and eat it too - to simultaneously want to have a player economy, but not want to have the fundamental mechanics of an economy. Maybe more players will leave if it's cranked up, but that's just a question of building an audience of players who are compatible with the game. Seems to be what Eve Online is doing lately, in making the game more hostile to causal PVE players. I'm not going to say that's good or bad. Eve can literally afford to lose players. But at least they are un-muddying the waters of what they're trying to be.

No amount of complaining with change the fact that, without sinks to remove items, production of items will stagnate and stall, whether it's maces or couches.

From my experience, most of the things sold are either to speculators, or for things related to items that are consumable.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    Time Lord likes this.
  10. oplek

oplek Avatar

People aren't seeing the full circle of it.

What's the problem with your mace crumbling into dust?
    • Because you need to replace it.
    • ... which is a problem because there's no vendor search with prices for you to find it.
    • ... which is a problem because (setting aside dev time) it'll be a "race to the bottom" in prices
    • ... which is a problem because the market is super saturated by extra crap
    • ... which is a problem because the crafting process is full of RNG
    • ... which the "good" items are ultra expensive
    • ... which is also caused by that RNG
    • ... which is a (solution to a) problem because as DS said, "people would be able to craft exactly what they want"
    • ... which is only a problem because the market will saturate with "good" items
    • ... which is only a problem because few people will buy them
    • ... which is only a problem because people don't need to replace their items
    • ... which is only a problem because peoples' items don't break
    Another mentality can be - Don't swing what you can't afford to lose. But people are so used to being able to invest in top-of-the-line items, that they'll turn their noses up at anything less. That should be a choice that the player has to make - bring out the good china, or the paper plates.

It's all interconnected and backwards.

I don't hear anyone complaining about how their potion disappears, and they have to get a new one, after quaffing it.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    Time Lord likes this.
  11. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I would if I went to craft another potion, and had to make thirty to get a good one...

12. AzazelReborn

AzazelReborn Avatar

This is some what right. The main issue is waste in this game, like Aldo said, he makes 10s or even 100s of weapon but only a handful are useful. The ones he deems not useful he can not sell them nor reprocess them because he will be wasting so much resources to get nothing useful back.

Our reprocessing process need an extremely major rework for crafter to claim back bits of what they have used to craft an item so they do not feel that they are wasting resources.

Coupled with a global market, players will have a better way to find a new items and life will be good for buyers and seller. But we really need to look at the fundamental state of crafting so people do not feel like they are being cheated or their time is being wasted.

Wilfred and Time Lord like this.
  13. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Just comments with no solutions... *climbs onto his soapbox*

If I bought a weapon for 20K, it would get mounted on my wall and only get used when I wanted to impress my friends, that I could actually stay alive longer than they thought while hunting with them.
    If it's not in "Crafter's Town", I don't buy it, because traveling the map (however one chooses to travel), trying to find what's desired is not a fun filled "sota discovery game".
    I think we have a top heavy economy where economic life seems very inflated at the top. Top players play allot which is why they are top players have "somewhat of an economy" from which to trade between themselves.
    Yep!

Our townie game seems to have been left behind in the dust clouds of the super hunter's ever hungering strive for the top.

I don't like skipping over content, even when that content hasn't been fully developed, so I keep myself in "the land of the lame". I am happy the top hunters of our game finally got themselves a new Cuthulhu area where solo players can't or shouldn't go, but in the land of the lame, I keep hoping for our townie game to become something fun to be involved in and interconnected with those top avid player's economic lives.

Bartering... "what to get the player who has everything o_O?"
    Bartering seems difficult to find anything our top players want. I recently entered "The Great Pumpkin" agricultural boom just to find something to repay my friends with who have helped me through gear, service, or through information they've provided me.

In that one example in the pumpkins, our game does need to seek out new ways where the townie or low/mid level player can produce, find or manufacture special things our super heroes would want which they themselves can't provide themselves. In this way, our game needs linear development expansion, where we broaden the amount of activities which could provide the top with what they themselves can't provide. Some players will point to things which are in our game that could fit this description, yet there's not enough.

I still Dream in SOTA Science Fiction to fix our economic woes...
    In real life, there's more townie's than hunting heroes, which is the type of development our sota needs to strive for. "Space Cannon" could be made to make such a link between the great, the medium and the small, requiring massive amounts of townie based resources for which I'm certain our top heroes would pay well to get their hands on, in order for them to reach that even higher hunting content.

I use COTO Shop weapons because right now, like @oplek said, "It's all interconnected and backwards" :confused:

But I can still dream of that ultimate grand gold and resource sink our game needs so desperately...
    "Space Cannon" o_O the ultimate gold sink supreme!

I hope you find those mace you're looking for @Ysold :)!
    [​IMG]
    ~Time Lord~:D

StarLord likes this.
  14. oplek

oplek Avatar

Exactly!

... which isn't a thing, because rarity isn't a problem.
    ... which isn't an issue, because supply/demand isn't vastly out of balance.
    ... which isnt' an issue, because potions are consumed.
    ... which isn't an issue, because people can buy more.
    ... which isn't an issue, because it's cheap and easy to find.
    ... which isn't an issue, because they're easy to make.
    ... which isn't an issue, because there isn't some weirdo RNG thing destroying 29 of them.
    ... which isn't an issue, because rarity isn't a problem.

15. AzazelReborn

AzazelReborn Avatar

This is not actually true there are rarity issues.
    • Warlock's Chain
    • Vexlyn Ember of Conflagration
    • Sage's Sash
    • Bandit Chest
    • Ringmaster Vestment
    • Cabalist Hoods
    • Ring of The Ringmaster
    • Cow Bells
    I could go on and list many more which are so rare that less 1% of population has them and even lesser of the population has them combined to the next level. How many people do you know that has an Legendary/Epic version of those (Excluding those that cannot be combined).

The common things that you see every day like the rings, boots, gloves are common because they are very easy to get, just commit some time and you will eventually get it very easy, but the true rare ones it could take you more than six months to get, especially the first three.

Also imagine when you do get one of those and you begin your crafting process and fail a few times. The feeling is not nice at all, it has happen to me a few times.

16. Ysold

Ysold Avatar

Actually I thought the price was quite reasonable. Admitted, it was a little better that I was looking for and I was expecting to pay around 12K, but I thought the price was fair.
    I'm a crafter myself, so I know the cost that goes into producing a good item.

Anyway, I've decided to speed up my plans to work on Masterworking and Enchantment because there seems to be a business opportunity for midlevel players to produce midlevel weaponry :)

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Well... I use a mace too, so you have at least one ready and waiting customer :D!
    I'll start piling up some gathered resources to maybe barter my way into gaining one of your future great residual weapons :)~TL~

18. Duursyrras

Duursyrras Avatar

my bows/crossbows began disintegrating very rapidly a month or two ago; the death penalty seems to now be -10 durability each death.

Aldo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.