Crafting Wishlist - Underutilized Ingredients

Discussion in 'Queued for Review/Processing' started by Elgarion, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

I went ahead and did a little analysis on all 105 recipes I have learned across brewing components, cooking components, food decorations, and food. It is possible that there may be some recipes I don't have.

Based on what I am seeing, here are the items which have the most limited use currently from a chef's perspective:

[​IMG]

Here are a couple things that stick out to me and some thoughts:

• Crackling and Oil
      • No recipes use this ingredient and it is listed as a cooking component
      • This is also the only recipe that uses "fat" as an ingredient.
      • Crocodile, Wyvern, Dragon, Ammonite, Corpion Claws, Corpion Tails, Anomalocaris and almost all other fishes only have one associated recipe, so perhaps new recipes that expand on these meats or use the new ones coming in can utilize this ingredient. Of course, I have a few to suggest :D
        • Rib Stew
        • Braised ribs with a corn, vegetable-rich sauce with a touch of heat
          • Troll Ribs Cage or relevant meat from a ribbed animal
          • Crackling and Oil
          • Corn (2)
          • Jar of Vegetable Stock
          • Pepper (2)
        • Beef Braised with Totamotes
        • Lean cuts of beef slow cooked in a totamoe sauce enriched with red wine and perfumed by cinnamon bark
          • Meat from relevant animal (2)
          • Crackling and Oil (1)
          • Jar of Vegetable Stock
          • Tomatoes (3)
          • Red Wine (1)
          • Cinnamon Bark (1)
        • Chicharrones or Pork Rinds
        • Crispy cooked pork skin - amazing snack food, 15 min buff
          • Pork Meat (5)
          • Crackling and Oil
          • Sack of Salt (1)
          • Pepper (1)

• Egg
      • It is strange to me that this recipe requires 4 raw eggs and then has no recipes it can be used for consider how hard eggs are to come by since they can't be farmed.
      • Why are there no breakfast foods in game, now that we are on the topic of eggs?
        • Eggs and Bacon
        • Steak and Eggs
        • Egg and Onion Sandwich?
        • I don't think I need to go into this one too far.

• Here are a couple more random thoughts also based on what I am seeing as ingredients that could use a few more uses:
      • BLT - 2 for 1 as Lettuce and Tomato could use more recipes and everyone loves bacon
      • Tea Leaves - We really need more beverages, a simple green or black tea with cinnamon would be a good start
      • Banana + Jar of Nut Butter + Bread = Peanut Butter and Banana sandwich
      • Salt Cured Pork - Cured Salamis!
        • Garlic Mushroom Salami
        • Apple & Maple Salami
        • Pepper and Mushroom Salami
        • The list is almost endless
      • Grapes, Lettuce, & Apples
        • Tuna Salad &/Or Chicken Salad sandwiches

Here is a link to my data in case anyone wants to be kind enough to double check my work:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FUaQvEnoGvi3XPhQuOZdDQSXTrql7C6MFNO0GM9Y30c/edit?usp=sharing

2. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Unicorn blood is also used in the unicorn potions. (Granted, you didn't include potions in your list of recipes.)

Also, is cracklin's an ingredient? I never made it, but I always assumed it was a food, since it (they?) are a food IRL.

3. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

Yes, it is classified as a cooking component - it's not pork crackling, it is just fat and oil - so lard is how I would treat it as a cooking ingredient.

Crackling is a prepared pork belly cut, but is meat not just fat so it really doesn't apply here.

4. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

those are deco. they are dyeable once cooked.

5. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

It should probably get renamed, because without skin or meat, it's not cracklins.

Or, since it's not actually used in anything anyway, just be removed.

6. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Pure Elemental sand ( Drops off elementals..Earh..sand... )

Mechanical Parts (Drops off mechanical creatures)

Time Lord, Wilfred and Anpu like this.
  7. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Awesome -- thanks guys :) I'll organize this input this week and slowly work through getting more recipes to utilize these assets in the future. My goal is to add 3-5 recipes per release. It'll likely be non-gear related items initially. :)

8. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

Wonderful. Thank you @Elgarion !

One I would like to have considered is one differentiating between bluefin tuna and mahi-mahi. Possibly a recipe that requires the full bluefin tuna as an ingredient to make fresh poke or sashimi of the highest quality so the meats don't have to be differentiated.

Bluefins are top quality grade and their in game rarity are reflective of that. I am loving the air and moon attunement buffs for the tuna and catfish recipes. I am just hoping we can get a T3 recipe for bluefin poke or bluefin sashimi for the Ardoris-inspired cooks out there that would reflect the higher quality of the ingredient being used.

More recipes for fish in general would be a good idea, but I would prefer it if the recipes has a consideration for the quality of ingredients being used.

Amberjack Mackerels, Goliath Catfish, Bluefin Tunas, etc. aren't really worth mounting as trophies after the first in my opinion, and it would be nice if there was some higher quality fish foods that reflected the quality of the fish used to make it.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    Time Lord likes this.
  9. trovador

trovador Avatar

Crocodile head (non-pristine) .... I can't find any recipe that uses this. Not sure if there's any already exists.

10. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

If we're going to get new recipes, great, but it would be helpful to make sure that the effects they give are actually worthwhile, or at least congruent to the cost/effort of the materials. This is one area where the game fails spectacularly as it seems ingredients and effects were just pulled out of a hat with no consideration for overall balance/utility/economic viability.

Honestly when we were talking food revamp I thought this would get addressed but instead we got points system which is...cool? But doens't fix what's wrong with cooking.
    It would make a lot more sense (and has been suggested) if recipe components had specific effects and the final product had those effects (like with material bonuses in crafting). This way things that required absurd amounts of things would at least be better because of it.

I've compiled and submitted a list like this in the past of underutilised ingredients, uneconomical foods, with suggestions etc. and nothing ever came of it, and now that we've got the food points system I'm not optimistic about cooking getting more attention, but it would be nice if it did. But it needs an overhaul not a bandaid.

Anpu, Wilfred and Time Lord like this.
  11. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

So a thought I just had was, making the sculptures that can be obtained by the sculpture vendor ingredients in crafting recipes for creature spawners for that type of creature.

I.E. Zombies spawner from zombie statue plus X, X1, ...

Thanks To Bee Striker for the inspriation.

12. quantumangus

quantumangus Avatar

I have a suggestion for a recipe. this seems to be the best place to place it as most the ingredients are used only once. It also makes some low tier items useful again.

Cooking level 40

BLT sandwich makes 3

attributes
    +2 health per second for 1 hour
    +1.5 combat health per second for 1 hour
    +2 focus per second for 1 hour
    +1.5 combat focus for 1 hour
    +1 STR for 1 hour

Ingredients

bark bread x3
    bacon x9
    lettuce x3
    tomato x3
    butter x3

sorry if this isn't the correct place to post this.

Sorgin Txakal likes this.
  13. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Not an MLT?

Alley Oop likes this.
  14. Elgarion

Alrighty, I got the suggestions organized. If I'm looking for actual recipe ideas, I'll scan through periodically. For now, recipe ideas for:

Conversationalist, Oracle Crawler
    Conversationalist, Oracle Flyer

... are quite welcome :) I'm thinking:

Pure Elemental Sand (for glass parts)
    Mechanical Parts (for mechanical parts)
    Explosive Potions (for a fuel source)
    Metal (one of the lesser used ones)
    Ancient Essence (a touch of magic)

15. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

I thought this might be a good place to bring this up as there is some debate on whether or not there are intended recipes for these and after watching the live stream it sounded like @Chris said these type of questions we should be directing your way @Elgarion . So, just want to also mention that there currently are no butchery or food recipes for the following:
    • Coelacanth
    • Trilobite
    • Ichthyosaur

Would be great to get some cooking recipes for them while you are working on recipes.

Thank you very much for your work on the new crafting items and listening to our feedback on what ingredients we want to be using more of. :)

16. Elgarion

Ah yes, this is a good spot. I think I have 2-3 threads that I made that I've been neglecting a little. I kept getting pulled away for other items, but soon I'll be returning to them. Chris has indicated he wants me to do more crafting and deco items, and we've got a new part timer to do a lot of the admin now, so once they're up to speed, I should be able to focus on crafting, deco, and store items a LOT more.

I'll add these 3 to this list as a reminder. I'm going to highlight them too as I feel they should be higher priority. Thanks!

Time Lord, Hazard, vulcanjedi and 2 others like this.
  17. vulcanjedi

vulcanjedi Bug Hunter

The Trilobites seem to be a little rarer than Anomalocaris and the Coelacanths a little rarer than Ammonites so the foods should be similar right?

Sorgin Txakal and Elgarion like this.
  18. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Those sound like the exact ingredients needed for a Space Cannon o_O
    Space Cannon, the ultimate resource sump!

Elgarion likes this.
  19. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

• Animal Bone (High Aggro pet food for Wolves) [Beef Stock]
    • Aortic Thrombus [Beggar Conversationalist, Lich Spawner T15]
    • Apple (Fruit Hat) (Fruit Basket)
    • Ashen Heartwood (+5 taming skill taming whistle)
    • Banana (Fruit Hat) (Fruit Basket)
    • Black Cutworm (Fishing bait) (In place of cotton to make alot of thread quickly)
    • Blood - Dark Unicorn (Potion or alcohol that increases duration of offensive debuffs)
    • Blood Light Unicorn (Potion or alcohol that reduces duration of harmful debuffs)
    • Brown Cap Mushroom (Combine with chaos pollen for confusion resistance)
    • Candle [Miner's helmet]
    • Chaos Plant Pollen (Combine with brown cap mushrooms for confusion resistance)
    • Cinnamon Bark [Used in a couple breaks, couple pies, Daemon Tea, and Dyes]
    • Corn (Moonshine, Corn Cob Pipe, Food that increases mount speed {feed the horse})
    • Corpse Wax [Reagent, and used in several potions]
    • Emerald Ash Borer (Fishign bait, Pet food that increases Spider and COrpion poison effectivness)
    • Explosive Potion (increased aggro generation based on Distract skill, used to make stronger explosion potiions)
    • Fat [Crackling and Oil]
    • Ginger Root (Remove all food buffs {Pallate cleanser. Dont think that would be particularly useful but it jsut makes sense})
    • Ground Daemon Hoof (A potion that reduces reagent ccost of chaos skills, and also makes u a purple furry or soemthing wierd visually)
    • Heads from Animals, Non-Pristine
    • Hemlock Borer (Fishign bait, Pet food that increases Spider root effectiveness or duration)
    • Jar of Nut Butter (Consuming automatically friend-requests Sean Silverfoot.)
    • Mechanical Parts (Mechanical Mounts, craftable gateways with palisades or crank-to-raise door shoudl require these)
    • Quartz (Socketable item that gives focus benifits, Low durability weapons with high crit damage)
    • Tomato and Egg (Throwable)

Actually it would make sense if quartz could jsut be refined into elemental sand

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    Elgarion and Time Lord like this.
  20. Elgarion

Thanks for the input -- list updated :) I'm checking this routinely as I add more recipes for deco. As for quartz -- where does that drop? I know Zinc started showing up again in bundles. I can't recall ever finding quartz.

Time Lord likes this.