Looking for advice on skill levels

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Ysold, Nov 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ysold

Ysold Avatar

Hi folks,

I was wondering - is there any reason to raise the gathering skills over 100-120? I'm a mid-level player and usually starved for Crafting XP because I'm working on the refining skills. So I would rather lock down my gathering skills. On the other hand, I'm doing a lot of gathering at the moment and I feel it would be a shame to miss an easy opportunity to get my gathering skills nice and high.
    What do you guys think?

Ysold.

2. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

@Glepo any thoughts on this?

3. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Hard to say. I did bring most of mine to 110. Since meticulous gives xp, raising that skill is at least directly useful. The speed is sort of useful, but after 100 I don't think they're worth the amount of xp. (Plus we just got a global gathering speed boost anyway.) I kinda feel that I get more t2 drops like tin and beetles after bringing the base skills up to 110, but I have no proof.

Survey, of course, remains virtually useless at any level.

Ysold likes this.
  4. tyorl999

tyorl999 Avatar

My guess, to all skills of adventur and crafting, not only gathering,
    80 is a must have
    100 is ok, when you have all other skills at 80
    120 is a nice to have
    >120 only in those skills, which are your main skills

It depends on how huge is your XP-Pool.

a.e.
    I am Blacksmith
    so:
    mining 3 skills are at 120 (survey stands at 100 * I dont understand this skill ;)*
    Smelting : 3 skills at 120 ( batching on 100 is enough for me)

Blacksmith
    Innate skill 140
    Salvage and repair at 100
    Masterwork base skill 140
    BS Mastery 110 ( gives me enough reroll options)
    the other Masterwork skills are at 130 right now

Next xp will go only on Innate skill and Masterwork base skills,
    because the XP you need at the MW Skills are to many for output you will get

Ysold likes this.
  5. Ysold

Ysold Avatar

Thanks folks, very useful info!

6. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

This is false for Crafting though, as you unlock Major Enchants/MWs at lvl 100 which are a huge powerspike

As for your question @Ysold ,I saw someone on discord who posted changes in mws/enchants at each level past 140 or something, and it seems to be 0.1 on some results every level (1 or 2 at a time), so there is an increase, but it is tiny.

Anpu likes this.
  7. tyorl999

tyorl999 Avatar

as I told ... your MAIN-Skills > then 120;
    when I am a Blacksmith, I dont need a.e MW Carpentry higher the 100, because its too expensiv

8. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

I would still consider 100 a must have for any crafting skill you work on, be it main or not, because any time you actually do any of it using sub 100 skills you are automatically making low tier gear.

For adventuring skills 80 is a must have for the 5th glyph, but for Masterworks and Enchantments the must have is 100 for Majors.

Anpu likes this.
  9. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Keep in mind, I believe the OP was only asking about the gathering skills, not refining or producing.

Anpu likes this.
  10. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

True, I prefered to lay it out there that 80 for masterwork skills did nothing for you, and that GM was the sweet spot. Players lurk these forums, and they end up reading things and thinking they are true, leading to players thinking AL results in higher hit chance and etc. I've had to tell new guild members these were false so often that making sure the information is true and helpful is something I try to do (and will quickly excuse myself when I get something wrong.)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    Past Blue Ribbon, Wilfred and Anpu like this.
  11. AzazelReborn

AzazelReborn Avatar

Here are some information.

Gathering innate skills. This is the percentage chance of collecting. When you begin a collection you have a number in the circle, that is your percentage chance. The higher node you harvest the lower your percentage. You need 135 in your innate skill to achieve 95% on a T5 and 80% on T6 nodes.

Survey - This is the most useless skill in the game, if you do not have much exp, keep it at 40.

Swift Gathering - This is important if you want to gather the node fast, the higher you take it the faster you harvest. At 125 you have +25% Gathering Time Bonus.

Meticulous Collection - This is the most important skill in all of gathering. The higher you take the better it is for you overall. You will receive .2% increase per level.

There are gear and potions to help you with you gathering.

Belts, Gloves, Weapon and Rings that will increase your Gathering or Meticulous Collection.

Obsidian Potions are extremely useful when gathering -
    Obsidian Potion of Precession - +10% to all Meticulous Collection.
    Obsidian Potion of Expedience - +40% to all Gathering Time Bonus.​

Tools, Prosperity tools are very good for gathering because they have bonus for Meticulous Collection Chance plus they do not loose durability. You can also engrave your normal tools too.

This URL will help you choose which Engraving will best suit your play style. Tools - Shroud of the Avatar Wiki - SotA (sotawiki.net)

With the right tool and gear I would suggest trying to get your Meticulous Collection for mining only to over 50%, 60% would be better but that involves investing so much exp into it.

12. Ysold

Ysold Avatar

Violet Ronso likes this.
  13. Glepo

Glepo Avatar

Azazel made it easy for new folks right there. Just figure out how much time you can put on your skills and start hammering.

AzazelReborn and Violet Ronso like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.