15000+ HP Chest Mimic

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Barugon, Nov 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I encountered this super high level chest mimic in The Rise. It took a long time to kill it and I got 28 gold and a caltrop for my effort. :(

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  2. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

I had a similar experience with a 30000HP ghost in Ravensmoor. It took a long time and a number of potions. Just not worth the bother after the first time.

FrostII, Cordelayne and Barugon like this.
  3. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I hate the chest mimic. It'd be one thing if they dropped chest loot, but no.

Not that chest loot is really all that great, either.

4. AzazelReborn

AzazelReborn Avatar

The effort and time spent is laughable in this game, it's like the devs are watching and laughing at us. Look he is going to spend 10 minutes on that Mimic and guess what, we will frustrate him after he has killed it. :mad::po_O

5. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Is this shocking to anyone? It's not like crappy loot for killing tough monsters is anything new...:rolleyes:

6. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Of course not. But commiseration is therapy.

7. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Surprised they couldn't just give that mimic the same kind of loot table as the Chest in Tartarus's 1st floor. That chest actually has a decent loot table and could be the perfect fit for tough mimics, although 15k hp is pretty much overkill on a mimic wtf.

FrostII and Barugon like this.
  8. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

That’s literally the entire Shroud of the Avatar experience summed up in 2 sentences.....

9. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

I wouldn't go that far, more along the lines of : "This is the life of all Casual Avatar's that prefer to enjoy their experience than crunch the numbers to their extreme, which means 90% or more of the population"

Because for the 10% left, it's quite decent. I kill the clockwork dragon in about 1:45-2:30 depending on my Crowd Control RNG, and most bosses have the same kill time, and they net me far more than 28g and a Caltrop, I often come out with 6.5k value per kill (listing all my artifacts at 4k).

Anpu likes this.
  10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

At least I know not to bother with it ever again.

Grumpy Krabnevir, FrostII and Anpu like this.
  11. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

What are you referring to that is "quite decent", @Violet Ronso ?

Cordelayne likes this.
  12. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Most bosses :

Torc'dawl and same tier trolls
    All Dragons
    Destroyer pets
    Demons

And T10+ zones

13. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Yea, if you're tough enough to solo those.
    That leaves out 95% of our dwindling population.
    Crappy, semi-worthless loot is one of the biggest reasons people come, laugh, then leave............

14. Katu

Katu Avatar

I have a theory for this:
    They don't give us loot, because we buy COTOS and change those to in game gold.

What other reason there could be? Its not like we have working economy, that could even break with better loot. There's economy, ran by few persons, who buy each others stuff.
    Better loot does not mean that crafting is out. UO still has crafting at the center, even thou you can also find good gear.
    It's a profit for everyone, except the new players and those, who would just like to enjoy the game and not jump around with sweaty balls.

Cordelayne and Superbitsandbob like this.
  15. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

I do agree that higher tier mobs still need better loot. Did LBaz T18 and for the 45k mobs its about the same as the regular green ones for loot. slightly more gold but that is just it slightly enough.. the Xp reword though was 1mil per kill. Id rather have less xp and more rewards for higher tier mobs simply because there are better options for xp that take far less time that have almost equivocal reward for loot.

FrostII likes this.
  16. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Patience people.
    The Devs said they were going to fix the loot in SOTA.
    They said loot would be fixed since 2016 (maybe earlier), we just need more patience..............nope more patience.........................................not even close...............................................................................ever see that scrolling representation of our solar system....................................................................look it up we haven't yet reached our moon....................................................................................................................................... moon..................................................................................................................................small team yo.....................................................................................................................................................................lets focus on pvp...........................................................................................................HEY where did everyone go!!!!

17. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

Lol, well there has been improvements a few times ... remeber when you only got 2-6 gold per mob :) that was updated we get a lot more generic loot for sure.... artifacts drop a lot more which is also an improvement. I just think there needs to be more specific loot per mob type and level not just generic with increase based on level and higher chance of artifact drops with that.. If we had more specific types... say weapon types with better stats or something along with coming changes where we can break down these higher tier items for things to improve crafting that would probably scratch the loot itch. I know they are working on something as many hints of such things or improvement has been mentioned a few times recently just like that of the PVP queue system. just wish we had a better road map on where and possible when even if the roadmap slides abit. that would at least give an indicator so I know when to get excited. mind you on the other end lots of great things are happening but us old vet players 7+ years are chomp'n on the bit with craving's :)

Wilfred likes this.
  18. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Yeah, I think a large root of the problem is the "crafted gear is better than looted gear" system. For one, it's not like looted gear is only a bit worse; it's absolute garbage. For two, gear drops are a big incentive in many (if not most) games for continued play once you've reached the upper levels. But they've opted to effectively not have gear drops, and didn't really bother to replace it with anything else. For three, given those things, artifacts were implemented in possibly the worst way possible, and attempts to alter that have only made the problems with them worse.

I think the solution should have been to make artifacts crafted items in the first place. Ideally by giving crafted items both a gem socket and an artifact socket. Dropped artifacts would be weaker than even the common ones are now. It'd be a useful cool find at lower levels, but not terribly great to use beyond maybe level 50. Scrapping one lets you auto-learn the recipe to create that type of artifact gem, and gives you one or more essences (or whatever you want to call them) used to make the artifact gems. The recipe would require a large amount of essences (which could be salvaged from artis, or dropped by some creatures, or found in loots, etc.) as well as a fair amount of other reagents and such. Maybe even large amounts of other types of drops, which range from common to rare. (Especially good for mobs where it doesn't make sense to give them loot, like ghosts. Sure, it makes sense that ghosts don't have loot, but it also makes fighting them mostly a waste of time. But if you needed 5000 blobs of ectoplasm to make a Sash of Swiftness or whatever, you've got reasons to not just run past them.) If you're not into crafting, these would likely sell well to crafters. Once created, you'd socket the artifact gem, and the crafted item would gain that artifact ability. The main goal of the whole system would be to keep crafting front and center as the way to get the best gear, while allowing for an increased drop rates on things so that loot can suck less, as well as allowing for a feeling you're getting somewhere. To go with my previous example, 1 blob of ectoplasm isn't great, but it's one step closer to 5000, which is a lot better than spending a week or more getting nothing, and hoping with each kill that "this is the one where RNJesus finally gives me the thumbs up."

Or any of a host of other ideas that have been proposed. But now we're stuck; if you kill artis, everyone who spent the last year farming them to make legendaries (and now epics) is going to be screaming. You make them more widespread, and the crafters throw a fit. There's not enough devs to implement anything other than more band-aids. And even if there were, or they wanted to put something together bit by bit behind the scenes and roll it out in a year or so, they're too terrified of enraging anybody to make ant major changes, because the player base is so low they can't afford to lose even just a couple hundred players.

Wilfred likes this.
  19. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Patience is a virtue - they say.
    Being a sucker is not -

20. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

And maybe (hopefully) I'm wrong, and we'll get some big sweeping revision to crafting and loot that takes the system from zero to hero. I would be surprised, though.

Terrence Phillip, Wilfred and FrostII like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.