Make dex and strength be alternative forms of damage

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Arkah EMPstrike, Nov 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Instead of having dex increase crit chance, have it increase crit damage. Strength has always been top dog for direct melee damage and defence (health), int for direct spell damage AND crit chance plus it used to be factore d into dodging spell attacks i dunno if it still is.

I think if dex gave crit damage instead of crit chance, then stacking dex could be as viable as stacking strength or int. It would just need to be balance against the ammount of direct damage increase strength gives. Also dex currently does something for spells i think but i dont remember what that was.

2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Please no.

Girlsname likes this.
  3. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

I'll be honest, and for anyone who does as much damage as me or higher or has seen some of my damage numbers, Crit damage does not need to be even higher. With Fireflies, Berserkers stance, Savage Sonata, Wolf Surprise, Polearms or Bows, you can crit for over 4k. I get crits for 2.5k+ very often, way too often some times, so if my dex would increase my crit damage that would be nuts.

One suggestion I saw though was to base damage multipliers on Strength AND Dex, but different ratio for every weapon, ex a Hammer could be 100% strength 0% dex, meanwhile a dagger of a bow could have 90% dex 10% Strength, meaning you need strength or dex depending on your weapon or a share of both.

This would have a huge impact on the current balance though and would require tons of tweaking to get it right, which is something devs don't have time for to my experience

Anpu likes this.
  4. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

...show-off...

Barugon and Violet Ronso like this.
  5. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

I mean I didn't want to talk about these crits but uhh...

[​IMG]

6. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Just being cheeky. (And maybe a little jealous.) :D

Anpu and Violet Ronso like this.
  7. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

The idea is, outside of those unbalance crit skills which you can use reguardless of what armor you wear so you wear heavy armor to get 600 strength, Dex is the only one of the three stats that's damage benefit is soft capped.

If you got 600 strength and 150 dex now, hit for 200 and crit for 4000, What's gonna happen if you got 600 dex and 150 strength instead. Your gonna hit for 90 and crit for 1800.

If dex gave crit damage instead of crit chance, how much is your crit chance gonna drop? And if it were balanced right, your 600 strength and 150 dex may hit for 200 and crit for 4000 but your 600 dex and 150 str may hit for 90 and crit for 5000 and however less crit chance you would have with dex not providing crit chancce anymore, which honestly wouldnt really be anything sicne crit chance is soft capped

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  8. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

No. The last thing they need to do right now is start screwing around with dex and str. Do you want to piss off almost everyone left in the game? Everyone would have to re-work their gear, re-work their stats, and for what? No , no, no, and no. Fix bugs, fix loot and let people play. We can't keep changing major structural systems and expect it to be a hit. We can't afford to lose EVEN MORE players due to changes like this.

Girlsname likes this.
  9. Girlsname

Girlsname Avatar

Damn, Arkah didn’t sneak attack his way to this discussion, he went full engage opponent.

:- P

(Arkah just wants the much needed subterfuge to be viable is all)

10. Vero

Vero Avatar

I think it could work if dmg 'scales on DEX' if DEX is the higher stat. (and then it would not scale on STR)

But without major reworks in combat system, giving 600+ dex builds more dmg scaling off dex, it would create some monster builds again, (600+ dex, 0.1 airshield archers cranking more dmg then we can do now to give an example)

I see you tho Arkah!

<3

Violet Ronso and Arkah EMPstrike like this.
  11. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I forgot about dex messing with air. Air builds arent even stacking dex tho already?

As for messing with strength builds and pissing people off, i dont think thats a good reason not to balance stuff. Right now, you want heavy armor and you want max strength on that heavy armor. You want tactics spec, as high lvl fireflies as you can get, etc. If you dont, then your doing it anyways or you are gonna hit for thousands of points less damage than people that do. If you change that, you mess with everyones build in the game and "piss off the two people that are left" or whatever folks have said after every balance pass for 5 years.

I suggested this change to dex with the intent to bring it in line with the other 2 stats, which noone can legitimately agree it is currently as viable as.

(And yea girlsname after opportunity strike i want them to do somethign with engage opponent and Camoflauge >.>')

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
    Girlsname and Vero like this.
  12. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

That's not accurate. I don't wear heavy armor and don't want to wear heavy armor. If they make changes that force me to totally re-work my character's stats and armor, then that's the final straw for me. That's part of the problem with people suggesting changes. You are basing it off of just your own experiences and wants, and don't really understand the impact it would have on other players who have spent years developing their characters and gear. Now you want to throw all of that away in the name of some supposedly needed balance? Dex is indeed perfectly viable as it is, controlling crit chance and other things. Dexterity should not influence damage in the way you want. Dexterity should influence crit chance, accuracy, speed, etc. That makes a whole lot more sense to me.

Should dexterity make you swing an axe harder? or should it make you swing it with more accuracy and quicker?

And yes, the quickest way to put the final nail in the coffin of this game is to start majorly screwing around with core systems that have been in place for years. We barely have 600-700 logins a day, and that counts people like my guildmate who logs in 8 chars a day to get the daily free gold.

13. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

And as a side note. If any of you are running around with 600 str and 150 dex, or vice versa, then you really have no idea how it works anyway. The huge majority of players are not experienced enough in min/max to even understand how to build a top end character. That's why you get these practically useless builds who are not using the system correctly for max performance. Builds like archer/fire mage/tamers. All that is, is a jack of all trades and master of none. I run around with my str and dex very closely balanced, and after years of trying all possible combinations, I have come to the conclusion that having lopsided stats in this game does not give you a better performance as having closer balanced stats. I usually have around 330 str and 330 dex (before sonata) in light armor, and I dare say there are few if any who can out dps me.

14. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Arent you an air mage? If so are you talking about your air magic’s damage incorporated into the dps you put out?

15. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

No, I am an archer that is air spec for the additional crit chance received from air's embrace, as well as for the extra speed from dash and dex from air's embrace and to be able to use air shield effectively.

In this game, if you want to be high end at any build, you have to use the specific skills that make that build strong, you can't play a hybrid in this game and be superior at it.

16. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

I also have a fire mage that absolutely rocks in pve. But there again, the char is very specifically built using and maxxing the skills that count. He isn't trying to be a tamer/fire mage, or a fire mage/polearms, he is straight pure skills that make the build stronger.

17. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

If you lowered your dextterity by 200 points what would your crit chance be tho? Not the displayed +% crit chance on your buff, but the actual ammount of times you crit when you shoot stuff

18. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

Well, that's a good question, because the game doesn't show us those actual numbers. However, in practice, it has been my experience that my crit chance would crater and my dps would also crater. Crits are king in this game. If you aren't getting at least 30% crits, you are pissing in the wind.

19. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

My point is, the system is perfectly fine for building top end characters of any build, if you know how to do it and focus heavily on those skills that make or complement your build. Anyone who is under AL 130 and has mediocre stats, has not spent the time and experience needed to do what I and a few others can do. If you want your character to be more effective, you have to specialize in that one pure build, whether it's polearms, tamer, fire mage, or archer. There's nothing majorly wrong with stats, just people who don't know how to build a pure character or people who want to play hybrids. that's fine, anyone can do what they want, but don't complain when you can't crit like I do, when you don't have the skills built that I do. I have taught several others the correct way to build a top end archer, and they have done so with success. Many of my former guildmates played different templates, but most all of them were really well built characters that excelled in comparison to people who don't min/max. Crowquills was a superb polearms, and then built a tamer that was nearly unbeatable in pve or pvp. It's all about the dedicated build. Even if they made the changes you suggest, you would never compete with pure builds who min/max the correct skills. It's not the game that needs to change for you to be better, its you.

20. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

Para and Crystal Method built incredible death mages that usually took a minimum of 3-4 highly skilled people to defeat them, and even then it was touch and go. Graydios was a one man wrecking crew as an ice mage. There are very few builds that can't be effective when built properly. But you are never going to be a hybrid and be top end. It just doesn't work that way here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.