Steam Reviews went up to VERY POSITIVE

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Harry Giannias, Dec 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haris Giannis

Haris Giannis Avatar

bravo dev team and new players:)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    King Robert, Sarek, Katu and 14 others like this.
  2. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

That's good news and a more accurate depiction of our game...
    I'm happy for what our game is and I'm glad it's been adding new players who can enjoy it for what it is.
    SOTA has always suffered from players who have always wanted it to be a different game than it is, and, "it's a very good game in what it is", unless you want it to be a different game o_O

That's good news @Harry Giannias! Thanks for sharing, and a great thanks to our extremely talented programing team! :)~Time Lord~

3. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

Thanks for sharing! :D

4. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

5. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

Everyone who feels the game deserves it should nominate SotA for the Labor of Love reward in this year's Steam Awards. :)

6. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Agree wholeheartedly!!

7. Wilfred

Wilfred Avatar

Indeed! Thanks for posting this.

I hadn't looked at Steam reviews for quite a while, so I just went and read the last few months.
    It is really encouraging to see so many people enjoying SotA, warts and all. :)

8. Katu

Katu Avatar

Oh, so now, when it is positive, we actually do care about the steam ratings?

Funny stuff. Glad it is positive, but steam is bad and all.

9. Tailz

Tailz Avatar

Recent Reviews: "81% of the 16 user reviews in the last 30 days are positive."

&

All Reviews: "51% of the 2,627 user reviews for this game are positive."

Those are the exact current stats on steam.

10. Asteedo

Asteedo Avatar

In the last 30 days, 13 players out of 16 players liked it?

Tailz likes this.
  11. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

I just updated and did my semi-annual login to keep my lot.

Waited 74 seconds for the game to load.

Noticed only 23 people from my friend's list logged in.

Checked SteamCharts to see playership at an all time low.

Checked the reviews on Steam to see recent reviews "Very Positive"

Read the reviews and found nothing specific, except one person who says the graphics are amazing. o_O

So- What makes this game good now? And where is everybody? I'd like some specifics, please!

What's new? What should an old player check out these days?
    Is combat balanced now? Or are things still out of whack?
    Can I play the Earth/Bludgeon Druidess I always wanted to play? Or do I still need to be a Master of all trades to survive?
    Does the economy work? Can one earn a living in the game nowadays? What's in demand?
    Are load times fixed? From what I saw so far, I'm guessing not.
    Any new story worth speaking of? Do my choices actually matter yet?
    How about POTs? Any busy ones to check out?
    In game maps? Do these work?
    How about forum moderation and community management? Have the problems been remedied?
    How about bugged tasks? I see 20-something tasks in my journal that wouldn't clear previously, and sparklies all over my compass. Can I clear these now?

@Tailz I noticed you just changed your review to indicate you would not recommend. Why not?

@Time Lord - You've been around even well before me. What say you old friend?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
  12. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

13. Tailz

Tailz Avatar

That is correct, according to steam stats.

14. Tailz

Tailz Avatar

Pretty much the same reason for the last couple of years, nothing really new for veteran players, pvp is broke, many changes to the game are questionable by some. But, as I mentioned before too, it is the best game for decorating and socializing.

15. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

Let me take a stab at this, surely i can't mess this up.

1. see Anpu's post for a good list of 'new' things
    2. it's as balanced as it has ever been, so good luck.
    3. Master of all trades is not the way to go if you want to be high end, need to be a very specific build tailored to complement your strengths. Earth bludgeon can be very effective, but only if you build it correctly.
    4. economy? hahahahahaha, no, you can't earn a living in the game unless you like living hand to mouth or you are already a high end player, and even then, you aren't really making much for your time invested unless you are one of the few major wheeler dealers or high end crafters (you'll never catch up to them) in the game, or you spend the majority of your time grinding for crafting mats.
    5. load times are 'better' for most people, but still there
    6. No, and not really
    7. Not personally aware of any 'busy' pots, other than 2-3 market oriented pots, unless your definition of busy is different than mine
    8. We finally do have some in game maps, yeah, they sorta mostly work
    9. Yes! all the people we don't like have been driven from the game (except me, well, and maybe @Graydios)
    10. hmmmm, not positive, I think they made a way to clear those but no one really does quests as a 'thing' unless they are trying to get the xp or free lot from the original storyline quests.

How'd I do? don't be shy, tell it like it is, I can handle it.

16. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I hadn't noticed how long I'd been not playing the game till I logged in and found all my stuff, stuffed in my bank. Had it really been that long? "YES" :confused:!'
    I try to imagine listening to elevator music or the theme song to Jeopardy o_O
    The evolution of SOTA, to me, was just like watching one of my own children grow up :p:
    This depends on whatever the latest popular rave is at the time, which never fits into everyone's desires of what our children should be doing, but they do it anyway and allot of it which of course makes them grow hair on the hands and go blind to doing anything else :eek:
    Remember what I said about the blindness? Just keep that in mind every time and accept that our child is very foresight challenged, in both farsightedness as well as nearsightedness o_O
    Just as any parent of teenagers knows, "Xanax helps allot" :confused:!'
    There are only a few, and those are market towns only for very serious crafters :cool:
    It's like hiring a Taxi in Bangkok, they may make a few extra stops to ask for directions, but they'll be sure to get you to your next destination of shopping for a new cab driver o_O
    They should really begin a rewards program for players even logging into our forums on a regular basis. Just like teenage kids, most all of our audience have been encouraged to interact with other forums so much so, that they never come home. "ONBE", the holier than thou order of the "Object of Nothing But Evil" o_O They most all collected their shiny medal and moved on to other games. Most turned out to be less than supportive as far as our official forums are concerned. There's a very minute few ONBE here which still do support our game and are truly worthy of their ONBE :)
    "BUT THEY ARE VERY FEW!"
    Just like any kids, they never clean their room :p I decided just to wait until Ep-3 so I can make sure I can do Ep-1 without running into any issues... "Deliver Gawain's Amulet" is still on my agenda o_O but I'm sure his friend can hold out just a bit longer :D I just can't seem to bring myself to let her know that he's dead :(

So, "like I said before", SOTA is just like raising a kid, where we must be ready for disappointments when it grows up to be something that should have stayed in school to become a doctor, yet instead, decided to join a rock band, do allot of drugs and end up broke with a student loan to pay off for something it should have been... "according to it's parents" :D

@Jaanelle DeJure , remember what Dark Starr said about SOTA?...
    [​IMG]
    "It's allot like making sausage" ;)~Time Lord~

17. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Neither of those are any reliable source of how active the game is. There is one thing you can however see in the game. Click the new Leaderboards (Click Window Selector>Leaderboards). Click the Consumables Category, then select the 30 Days button.

Currently in the last 30 days, 43,380 Teleport to Zone Scrolls have been consumed.... That's a lot.....

18. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Interesting... so I read that it is now more economical to buy reagents off of player vendors rather than NPCs?

Do people actually do this? Is Gathering a viable source of income?

That was actually one of my very first disappointments from Day One.

The idea was to have Jaan be a wandering Druidess who gathered reagents (and other interesting trinkets) from the far reaches of the world to sell in her shop, or off her person should she encounter a traveler in the wild.

Right off the bat, I learned that nobody was buying reagents from other players.

I tried pivoting to food, but that wasn't profitable either.

I've read that the food system was revamped also. Does that mean people buy food off of player vendors too?

Keep in mind, Jaan is already rich from her inheritance. But she's trying not to spend that, but find a way to live modestly off her income.

It doesn't need to be a lot, but worth the effort.

What do you say- would it be worth the effort?

19. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

At this particular juncture, PvP is out for me with any game. I'm stuck with a 3 mb DSL connection and high latency.

Waiting on StarLink to get my ass back into competitive play! :D

20. oplek

oplek Avatar

Assuming the leaderboard is accurate (it has had problems), if the average character uses 8 a day, that amounts to about 180 active characters. 360 if it's 4 on average.

Jikininki and Jaanelle DeJure like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.