Inky learning and discovery.

Discussion in 'Ink NPC Dialogue Composition' started by craftymethod, Nov 12, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merrik

Merrik Bug Hunter

NO... just.. no... LOL

Lets not talk about the copyright issues we would run into when people decide to upload sound clips from movies (and you know someone will) ... with text it can be filtered and moderated for bad things automatically... with voice/sound a dev would have to take time to listen to every submitted sound file to vet them.. this makes this a very unlikely feature to be implemented.

2. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

"We can't have people writing their own dialogue!"

Said some other naysayer.

//maybe not loading into by tagging something external. but there would be a way.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

What if they were able to use "text-to-speech" ?
    Certain words are already being censored and they could reflect that....
    Just a thought.....

Time Lord, Merrik and craftymethod like this.
  4. Widsith [MGT]

Widsith [MGT] Avatar

Do we know if the SotA Ink runtime is upgraded for the latest language features, e.g., lists? @Elgarion

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Cirsee

Cirsee Avatar

Curious, I notice the NPCs do have the basic pet functions, like dance. Can this be added to Inky scripting? I heard someone managed to add an rng generator to their script, was this Inky or Lua and does anyone know the code?

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Tristano Sforza

Tristano Sforza Avatar

Hello @Cirsee,
    you can add a rng generator in inky using RANDOM function.
    Extract from official ink manual:

RANDOM(min, max)
    Ink can generate random integers if required using the RANDOM function. RANDOM is authored to be like a dice (yes, pendants, we said a dice), so the min and max values are both inclusive.

~ temp dice_roll = RANDOM(1, 6)

~ temp lazy_grading_for_test_paper = RANDOM(30, 75)

~ temp number_of_heads_the_serpent_has = RANDOM(3, 8)

See you,
    Tristano

Time Lord and Anpu like this.
  7. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I'm resurrecting this thread... because it has so much in it!
    (New conversationalist player continuing review)... because I'm a newb to all this!

"I need to see, investigate and evaluate as many conversationalists as I can, to understand their parameters and best usages or possibilities".

My First Contact: Victoria Seras, Crafter's Oasis in Desolis, saved from a deadly danger, now a ward and loyal to Tahru.

The Psychiatric Report
    [​IMG]
    • It's clean, it did it's job with no bumps in it's function.
    NPC vs Human Actions
    It was a person, as NPCs go, yet there was something missing which I was most curious and anticipated seeing but did not. Before arriving and on the way there, I kept wondering if the conversationalist would "hail me", or follow me around, it did neither. It did however, keep moving around instead of remaining "in my face" sort of speak, which is a good human thing that is done when a person is going through their day. Even in not hailing me "as a guard or vendor would", an aloof nature is a real one, "yet if they are all this way", then it will seem odd and become a topic of dislike. One doing something one way doesn't seem as odd as many reacting in the same way. One conversationalist set to patrol presents a normal appearance, yet 5 together may bring on a mind controlled zombie quality to the scene.

If the conversationalist is set differently, like follow, close, near, far, does it react that way to guests who enter the property?

Who does everyone think has the best conversationalist scene right now?
    Who's the artist about to chop their ear off expressing themselves through this new artform, this new sota questing paint brush?

I'm reading and searching... ~Time Lord~

Paladin Michael and Tahru like this.
  8. Owsley

Owsley Bug Hunter

Visit my Harvest Moon Ball dungeon. It has a complete quest adventure that uses four conversationalists. One part involves hacking a teletype. The quest starts by talking with the hostess in the foyer. BTW I send a reward to anyone who finishes the quest.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Cirsee

Cirsee Avatar

Curious to ask.. are there no settings for font size or dark mode for Ink? It is really small text for us older visually challenged ladies.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

an ink file is just a text file. you don't HAVE to use the ink editor, it's just easier to test in it

Cirsee and Time Lord like this.
  11. Cirsee

Cirsee Avatar

Yes, I know I can use things like Notepad++, but it is nice to see the story output window.. maybe I will just have to cut and paste from Notepad++ to Inky. Was hoping I was missing something though, but thank you Alley :)

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.