FYI: archery changes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Barugon, Dec 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Considering Sota Math, I would probably test it out taking Air Specialization out.

Ranged spec does not only reduce the focus cost on aimed shot, it also provides several bonuses such as dodge/parry debuffs leading to more consistent hits, more arrows shot during rapid fire for an increase in DPS (and an increase in the number of arrows that can crit), and Multishot becomes way more consistent and powerful.

Am I saying this will for sure guarantee higher dps than Air spec would, but it is something that those who are really struggling with the recent changes such as Barugon, Engel and Cora to try out, which possibly has hidden potential!

The additional glyph for all of these could also potentially outweigh the crits you would lose, so it isn't just "losing crit for l a small lower focus cost" its "losing crit for multiple other benefits that COULD work better for some".

Suggesting it, throwing the information out, you do what you want with it, I'm no ranged expert, just trying to help!

Barugon likes this.
  2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I'll probably try this out on QA. I wish that I could have all three as well.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    Rentier, StarLord and Violet Ronso like this.
  3. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Unless things have drastically changed with the specs, air/tactics provides more ranged damage and more resistance to damage than ranged/light armor.

Grumpy Krabnevir likes this.
  4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Benefits of Air specialization:
    • More attunement.
    • Longer duration for Air's Embrace, Shield of Air and Dash.
    • Small critical chance bonus for Air's Embrace.
    • Six-stack Air's Embrace and Shield of Air.
    • More stun chance for Gust and Discharge.
    • Other benefits for Lightning and Chain Lightning (which I don't use).

Benefits of Ranged Specialization:
    • Reduced focus cost for Aimed Shot.
    • Small dodge debuf for Disabling Shot.
    • Small parry debuf for Blinding Shot (absolutely worthless for ranged).
    • Extra (lowest damage) arrow for Rapid Fire.
    • Increased hit chance for each arrow on Multi Shot.
    • Six-stack glyphs for a tiny bit more damage.

The reduction in dexterity and focus transfer from dropping Air specialization is a hard pill to swallow.

Rentier likes this.
  5. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

The aimed shot nerf isn't as bad as I anticipated. But the rapid fire focus cost increase is just nuts. It made the skill barely usable. And as others already pointed out, these changes didn't really address balance issues, because high level minmaxers will still take their enemies fast enough so these focus cost increases don't really matter.

6. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

Air special let’s you use lightning debuff multiple times on one target which can really help lower air resist

7. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

Am I the only one who thinks a long bow should be a range weapon (better when target is far) and a crossbow be a short range weapon (hits harder when close range). Long bows use gravity - crossbow does not.

FBohler likes this.
  8. Billibons

Billibons Avatar

It became very inconvenient to play with Single-Click Targeting, it was not bad if you could change it in the settings.

FBohler likes this.
  9. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

You should voice your concerns in the feedback section if it hasn't been done already, better chances to get devs attention than here.

Anpu likes this.
  10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I like the single-click targeting a lot but I might not be playing the same way as @Billibons.

Rentier likes this.
  11. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

I agree, and what about short bows, that are good for... nothing in the game...
    There should be some use for every weapon. I think short bows should hit way faster than any other ranged weapon and get cool rapid fire bonuses.

King Robert likes this.
  12. Wuz

Wuz Avatar

Chris "Atos" Spears, what you have done to archery has quite literally rendered it unusable, a huge number of people spent months raising their archery skills to GM level and in one fell swoop you destroyed it, thanks, and you really expect people to pay 9 US dollars a month to have their time wasted like that? Looks like you are going to be the nail in the coffin of SOTA, just like Ion Hazzikostas was the WoW killer, but considering you don't waste your time (just other peoples) playing video games you would have zero knowledge of what it feels like.

FBohler and Grumpy Krabnevir like this.
  13. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

Yeah I agree. Archers still do 1k+ critical regular attacks, but now the low and mid level archers are having a rough time playing the game.

The change nerfed fun intead of nerfing performance outliers.

Wuz, Rentier and Grumpy Krabnevir like this.
  14. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

Mission accomplished! Rinse and Repeat!

Melee regularly does 1k+ crits also, hope it's next.

Mishikal likes this.
  15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I actually don't want anyone to get nerfed. I do think that they should take a hard look at how critical damage multipliers are applied though.

16. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

Problem is: the two main builds for physical attack is critical chance vs base dmg. The thing is: base dmg is totally crushing the crit chance build. I think they've added the stackable crit dmg buffs in order to make crit chance build more viable. The opposite happened, because the base dmg affects the crit dmg as well, so this crazy spiral was born. They could have changed the crit chance boost from, say, weapons and armor, rather than boost crit dmg which broke the balance entirely.

Barugon likes this.
  17. Jikininki

Jikininki Avatar

Sir, I should one shot you for that comment, not that I could >.> Buff melee! :D

Wuz and Grumpy Krabnevir like this.
  18. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

When he first talked about implementing bard skills the idea they would be very strong but all but require a dedicated support person to utilize was the plan. Maybe they made them uber strong but then tried to fenagle it to be used like every other buff is

Sara Dreygon and Vero like this.
  19. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Well, the implementation was supposed to include forcing your instrument out, but I mean, a year later, hard to go back and make that change now, probably that it would be the nail in the coffin for many.

I personally wouldn't be against it, would help balance this huge powerspike coming from the Bard tree, but some people's builds rely on it now.

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  20. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

One of the reasons I don't use the bard skills is I figured sooner or later, they would get a hard nerf. If I didn't get used to having them, I wouldn't be affected.

Anpu likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.