FYI: archery changes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Barugon, Dec 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Rentier, Cordelayne and FrostII like this.
  2. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

The sad thing is, based upon previous multiple times that they have done this, this is exactly what will happen at some point, and yes, when it does, it will cause even more players to quit.

Rinse and Repeat

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    Wuz, Cordelayne and FrostII like this.
  3. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

I've never seen a business so blatantly and repeatedly dismiss their customers. It doesn't even make sense. Chris is all worried about 'balance' , yet doesn't care at all about loot, fun, reward, or any of the other things that people play games for. At this point, what do we have, maybe 100 or so archers left in the game. Might as well make half or more of them leave, right? Not like there's more important things to be worried about.

Cordelayne and FrostII like this.
  4. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

So, my experience with SotA so far is:
    In the main quest: work around the bugs and inconcistencies.
    After the main quest: work around the nerfs.
    Why not just make other classes and skills viable instead of nerfing the most used ones?

tecmo123, Cordelayne and FrostII like this.
  5. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Because one of those things is a lot easier to do, and since losing most of their staff, "easier" nearly always wins out.

FrostII likes this.
  6. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

In my short game making experience (only made a bare bones functional demo in Unity in 6 months) I found that both nerfs and boosts are pretty easy to do, especially if you set up a good and tidy parameter database.

7. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

8. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Meanwhile..... the people playing the game have used 37,431 Teleport to Zone scrolls in the last 30 days....

Wuz likes this.
  9. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Sadly, I have to agree on this.

Chris is, and always has been, WAY too focused on "potential exploits" and what people "might" do if he loosened up a bit.
    His "precluding" of "potential?" problems is why these nerfs/crap loot happen.
    Sad really........ :(

Cordelayne likes this.
  10. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Yup, and Chris has said it himself: "Nerfing one skill is much easier than raising others", which of course is true.
    Unfortunately, it's exactly one of the prime factors in the continual dwindling of our already pathetic population.
    And, believe it or not, I hated to say these things - because I so want our SotA to succeed...... :(

Blake47 and Cordelayne like this.
  11. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

But, but, but, nobody plays through Steam, everyone plays through the SotA launcher...

FrostII likes this.
  12. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

There are a "few" who only use the Steam Launcher.... ;)

[​IMG]

StarLord, Wilfred, Cordelayne and 2 others like this.
  13. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

I also like to use the Leaderboards to gage the playerbase.
    I feel like 1/3 of the population log in through Steam.
    Looking at this specific isolated number of tele to zone scrolls, I would say we have something like 1000 real unique players over a month.
    And I think the game needs some 1000 concurrent players to feel "alive and populated", for the world is too big.

14. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

If I were in charge combat wouldn't get touched for a year or more. Nitpicking over the paint job while the car is on fire is pointless.

Sadly that is the passion of the guy who bought the game. Everything else just gets older and more out of date.

15. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

What is even sadder about this, is it that combat will be worked on indefinitely and will NEVER be truly fixed or balanced given the current limitless skill system. How many years have we seen this nerf cycle perpetuate with no clear balance in sight?

Not that it matters, this game caters to a very select few now. I just watch from the sidelines.

16. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

At this point, I'm just hoping that once (if) ep2 story content is fully installed, I will be capable of playing through it. There is little other reason to play.

Cordelayne likes this.
  17. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Well i dunno that skill level ammounts for the bulk of the power folks are getting out of stuff or even half of it. Maybe with magic. I think its more gear and buffs coupled with how those buffs affect other skills.

Off the top of my head almost everybody feels at least like 7 buffs are absolutely neccessary before going into a fight at all. I see folks using buffs they dont even need for a fight just because its on thier bar.

For weapon skills like 3 of those skills along with tactics spec accounts for most of thier DPS

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
    Grumpy Krabnevir and Barugon like this.
  18. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Aimed Shot is getting another (and possibly two) "balance."

19. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

From the tweet:

Working on archery solution that makes it feel defensible in PVP but won't impact PVE. Current idea is to make Aimed shot only do max damage to stationary targets. PVE targets don't move much, feels like a defense for PVP, feels like reality modeling and balance solution to me!
    Another option would be to just decrease crit damage multiplier based on velocity of target for ranged attacks. Again, make sense, doesn't hurt PVE much, introduces another strategic element for archers to pay attention to.

Localio Projects
    How about based on direction of movement relative to the shooter ? Hitting enemies running away, or approaching shouldn't decrease damages.

Ooh, I like that. It is also something that PVE won't do much BUT skillful PVP'ers can do which again reinforces the "Not a nerf for PVE" aspect.

Browncoat Jayson
    Seems like a death knell for archery in offline mode. The way aggro works, you basically have to go melee or end up kiting a bunch of mobs around for archery. Less damage for moving makes that skill even less useful, taking away one of the few choices for ranged characters.

Reduced damage will be based on velocity perpendicular to the player. So target chasing you will not reduce damage much if any.

FrostII likes this.
  20. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

If it's just the crit reduction based on direction of movement, it probably won't be too bad. If it's the original idea... that's gonna suck for PvE.

FrostII likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.