1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Consider to build house in adventure area??

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by ngavarta, Feb 7, 2021.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ngavarta

ngavarta Avatar

I understand and respect the design decision to have all player housing in town/ village, there must be certain congestion issues we can avoid (e.g. un-necessary loading time) ... however, there are a few spots I really enjoy hanging around in those adventure areas, it'll be nice to able to stay in those places. by the lake, in the mountains, beside a tomb, in the swamp, in the cave, in the ruins, hi-jack a haunted house ... etc.

Also, houses can be a bit dull sometimes, it'll be nice to introduce some "non-formal house", namely more variety of "house" type.

- cave
    - icehouse
    - mausoleum
    - treehouse
    - outpost
    - tent (just like that gypsy)
    - house-on-the-go ... wagon?

Since we got to live in the wild, our house must be "functional" enough to defend us. ;) Also, that can be a "safe-house" for other adventurers as well, revive point, re-supply point ... and most importantly, good business :D !!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
    Sorgin Txakal likes this.
  2. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Interesting ideas that sound like they could be implemented.

I wish we'd have an upscaled overworld map (same scale as other scenes) that allows player towns to exist on its surface, rather than in separate, repeating, cookie-cutter scenes. I think that would be much more interesting, though at this point probably infeasible to implement.

ngavarta and Sorgin Txakal like this.
  3. Lained

Lained Avatar

Though it's very doubtful you'll ever be able to build in adventure scenes there are myriad ways you could build your home.

Druid Town Home

[​IMG]

Wood & Stone Guard Tower (Village Home)

[​IMG]

Kobold Three-Story Tower (Village Home)

[​IMG]

You could build your own dungeon and choose to live in there.

Five Connection Mine Cart Dungeon Foyer, Natural Caverns Dungeon Rooms Pack etc.

[​IMG]

Icy Ancient Stone Cathedral, Icy Dungeon Hallway Set, Icy Ancient Stone Room Fishing Grotto etc.

[​IMG]

And then there's decoration you could use on an empty lot.

Elven Tents

[​IMG]

Small Knight's Tent

[​IMG]

Large Knight's Tent

[​IMG]

Crafted Tent

[​IMG]

Stone Crypt

[​IMG]

Traveler's Wagon

[​IMG]

ngavarta likes this.
  4. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

The house would have to not be allowed to place any containers in it however. Otherwise people would endlessly grind the area and stockpile giant amounts of items.

5. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

The more I play the game, the more I believe the existence of an Overworld was a mistake.
    I think the scenes should be all stitched together more like a patchwork rather than the unnecessarily complex and intricate overworld.
    If the adventuring areas had some space destinated to settle PoTs, the world would have felt much more alive and connected.

This way the developers could make some kind of path, with increasingly difficulty and rewards the deeper you go forward through scenes.

And for a more "connected world" feel, they could've added some vistas for nearby towns and landmarks i.e. mountains, passes, rivers, ocean, etc.

ngavarta, Morgathys and Kelly O'Shay like this.
  6. Morgathys

Morgathys Avatar

Yea, like a private server of NWN2 I played, you traveling scene by scene to reach your destination!
    This is a great idea to remove the overworld completely. Players knowledge of instances will be a real assets and that could be very good for the game economy as well.
    I like it ++

FBohler likes this.
  7. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

The devs have discussed in live streams the possibility of allowing governors to place hostile animal spawners in towns.

This could really open up towns in an RP sense as there could potentially become a purpose for constructing or buying city walls and buying guard NPCs. This could also allow people to set up fun little out of the way farms where your pigs in a pen are occasionally terrorized by a local wolf, etc.

Currently, the best opportunity for this kind of immersion of player housing and adventure scene only exists in Blood Bay, which is actually an amazing scene and has lots of open housing locations, but sadly they are all grouped together, so you can't have like an eccentric tinkerer's house or guard post on the top of a bandit infested mountain.

Blood Bay was brought up in a Live Stream, but Chris said he had no plans to continue on with that concept at the time. I want to put my house back there, but sadly I am using my 3 NPC lots already and can't get myself to give one of the spaces up to go back. The city actually has a fair amount of residents, but I never met a single one of my neighbors during the two months I live there.

Perhaps we can appeal to Sannio's inner DM and encourage some blending of random NPC lot locations in some of the larger Episode 2 scenes he develops.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
    Violet Ronso likes this.
  8. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

While actually putting up houses in adventure scenes runs the risk of performance issues and exploitability, a good compromise would be allowing you to nest a POT in an adventure scene. I could totally see a little path off the entrance of elysium mines leading to a door that -click- you're now in the subterranean biome town of Wherever. That'd be neat. But I expect you'd run into a lot of immersion shattering stuff, too. While in this example I'd personally love to deco up a town as a natural extension of the area I'm nested in, I expect not all would embrace that philosophy.

Violet Ronso likes this.
  9. ngavarta

ngavarta Avatar

I agree with you for more immersive gameplay, but I kinda understand why they do it this way (current), if you look back Ultima I - V, this design kinda make sense and classical, also from mmorpg POV in terms of player traffic mgmt. and multi-dimension room/ scene (giving it virtually infinite expansion in future).

Actually I'm not that 100% against the idea of overworld, just a couple of points I want to point out if that make sense to anyone ...

1. one of the thing I felt a bit weird, is primary the ratio of the player over the town or adventure areas over the mountains and trees, you see either we make it functional as a map-like or more immersive ... try to seek the balance between the 2.

to demo what I mean, refer to Fig 1.1, Fig 1,2, Fig 1.3, see it's okay to me the character is larger, but the ratio of the town is smaller than the trees, but larger than mountains, and ships are larger than town (switch to 1st person perspective and look at this, if you want to illustrate what I mean).

everything is out of size, I mean in terms of style it doesn't look realistic, cartoon, or abstract, more like a mixture of style in one, which doesn't blend together very well and make it looks either weird and not very contented.

2. making the ENTER transition between overworld and town/ adventure area more seamlessly, not even the loading picture related to the loading scene.

References:
    - Figure 1.1. Ardoris
    [​IMG]

- Figure 1.2. Romance of the three Kingdoms map
    [​IMG]

- Figure 1.3, Heroes of M & M
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
    kaeshiva likes this.
  10. ngavarta

ngavarta Avatar

Thanks for Lained taking the time to find all these houses I try to illustrate, yes it's there and not quite there yet ...

Imagine I can make/ buy my spot on any house likely hood in below area (even can't change the house is okay) ... that'll be exciting, some ppl like to stay in town, some in the wild, or the most unimaginable places.

by the lake
    [​IMG]

on top of the mountain, by the cliff
    [​IMG]

Sorgin Txakal and Lained like this.
  11. Kaizen Strava

Kaizen Strava Avatar

I like this idea. Plus it could open up the possibility of a whole new type of lot deed and new types of houses. this could result in improving coto purchase averages quite a bit.

Sorgin Txakal likes this.
  12. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

similar to dungeon or basement entrances would be neat to have an unobtrusive in-scene entrance that would take us to our home. not as good as having the home right there, but would allow us to live in a PvE scene. might get crazy crowded though without restrictions at popular spots. southern grunvald or NWB for me! right next to the dragons i so dearly love :)

13. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

Kinda like what Chris said in the live stream, I am paraphrasing, "If the best you can do for an exploit is killing the occasional wandering golem or bandit with your pet, it's probably not that big a deal."

The main feature of something like this for me would be immersion and integration into the adventure scenes, though I agree that some players might take it too far in terms of deco that could impact performance and/or break immersion completely.

Luckily Chris has been spending a lot of time on decoration-related performance issues, and another solution would be that these type of houses would be off the beaten path either hidden by trees, hills or other things that could make it to where the lot can be culled during normal adventuring in the scene.

I do like the idea of being able to buy or rent vacated as-is NPC building though, that would be interesting - possibly a way to get people interested in more PVP could be certain houses players could fight over. Have to spend at least an hour in the lot per week or you lose it and you lose it automatically if a player kills you inside it and then it transfers hands.

There are many places in PVP zones where a mini long-term "king of the hill" type contest centered around a building, house or etc. could add some exploration and competition content into some of the scenes. Could possibly coincide with a temporary title like "Mayor of Blood Bay" or "Resident of Verdentis" or "Explorer of Opalis", etc.

14. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Yeah, last thing I want to do is emerge from a wooded area into somebody's yard sale.

It's a great idea, but I don't think there's a way to implement it that won't wreck adventure scenes for everyone else. Plus, how would you control who gets to claim a spot? It's hard enough to find spots in NPC towns. (Well, the main ones.)

Anpu, Lord Stein and Barugon like this.
  15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

This.

Anpu and Lord Stein like this.
  16. ngavarta

ngavarta Avatar

Yeah, I'm a developer my self, sometimes if some idea work even people started to exploit it, from another perspective it simply means it works and it works extremely well, I would say don't avoid it altogether, this is the type of problem worth solving isn't it? ;)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    FBohler and Sorgin Txakal like this.
  17. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

This.

Let's think this way: current housing is just an overglorified item storage plus farming.

Adding any other use to housing would be appretiated to the point of people trying to exploit it.

Unfortunately, I think it's too late for this kind of immersion.

The almost pointless overworld (what kind of relevant action you do in the overworld?) and the restricted housing can't be fixed anymore, they're deeply rooted in the game right now.

ngavarta likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.