1. This forum is for bug reporting of current Live Game Server issues ONLY.
    Be sure to follow the format below, it will help us out greatly in responding. If you do not, your report may not be entered into the system.

Read BEFORE submitting your first bug: Reporting Bugsā€¦ QA 101 Document
    • Search for your bug in all likely categories before posting in order to avoid duplicate reports.
    • Be sure to provide details of what the issue is and how to re-produce it, but keep your bug report factual.
    • Only report oneissue per thread, additional issues may be ignored.
    • Do not add, include or modify the thread moderator tags in the title of the thread. (indicators in the [])
    • Reply to an existing thread if you have additional information for the reported bug.
      Do not use this forum for commentary, your post will be deleted and you may be moderated, suspended or banned if the activity continues.
    • There is no need to submit crash logs. Crash data we require is automatically logged.
    NOTE: Important information including your location and system specs are automatically put into your clipboard when using /bug in the game (DO NOT add additional system specs unless requested). When starting your post, just use <CTRL>-V to insert the data and fill in the entries with no data.

Please include Screenshots if possible. Images can be saved on our SotA Discord Server here

If the clipboard does not work, use and fill in this Bug Report Template:
    1. Title:
    2. Reproducible?
    3. Blocker?
    4. Details:
    5. Steps to Reproduce:
    6. User Specs: (RAM, CPU, GPU and Operating System only)
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Resolved] Lot ownership not recognized in city where player is steward if vfx deco selected

Discussion in '*** Bug Report Archive (After R75) ***' started by Sorgin Txakal, Nov 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

Title: Lot ownership not recognized in city where player has stewardship if visual effects deco selected
    Reproduction Rate: Every Time
    Blocker?: Only for buying more coto visual effect deco
    Details: So, this is a difficult bug to describe so I will do my best. This only started when I was temporarily made steward of Beran's Reach to place some fast travel boats I bought that I didn't realize I couldn't trade.

Whenever I am trying to place down a visual effect decoration, what has always happened was that the surrounding city visual UI pops up. This has been the case for as long as I have played. I place down some fog or fireflies and then I see all the drawn boxes for where trees aren't supposed to spawn and etc. that apply to the city. Historically this has never been an issue, I just place down my deco and then relog and the city deco UI goes away.

What started happening when I was made temporary steward of Beran's Reach is that now when I try to drag a visual effect deco, like fireflies, onto my lots that I have claimed with deeds, the city UI pops up and the game seems to not be able to reconcile whether it should treat me like the steward of the city or the owner of the lot. The result is that it seems the steward privileges take precedent and my ability to place deco inside the lot is lost because the game things that I am trying to place a deco down inside a player lot as the steward of the city.

You can see in the below screenshots that the item icon is red for placement and the word Kindred is bolded indicating that the UI is telling me that I must be of at least kindred level relationship to the lot in order to place deco on it.

I then no longer have the ability to place any deco down inside any of the lots I own within the city until I relog as then the city UI is dismissed and permissions get reset. This is only ever triggered when trying to place a visual effects deco down on the lot.

Also, if I move off the lot and try to drag the visual effects in from walking in off the lot, I am barred from entering the lot while I have the item click selected and walk into an invisible wall where the lot boundary starts.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Plate a lot deed down in a city where you are a steward of
    2. click select a visual effects deco from your inventory
    3. try to drag visual effects deco onto the lot

User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (8) System
    RAM: 32713
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 GPU
    RAM: 8079 SotA.Win.64.1301.Date.10.31.20
    Area: POT_swampisland_metropolis_01a_template/Beran's Reach
    Area Display Name: Beran's Reach
    Loc: (195.8, 19.2, -404.8)
    Debug: UE9UX3N3YW1waXNsYW5kX21ldHJvcG9saXNfMDFhX3RlbXBsYXRlfEJlcmFuJ3MgUmVhY2h8KDE5NS43NTIsIDE5LjIxOCwgLTQwNC43NzIpfCgwLCAtMSwgMCwgMC4wMDYpfDE4MC44NDM1fDE4LjM1ODZ8MS4yNQ==

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

okay, you have a few things going on here and some are not bugs.

yes, all the boxes for all visual effects, including the town's lawnmower pavers, pop up whenever you start to place a visual effect. this is because you can either see ALL the boxes, or none of them, there's no way to seperate seeing just the boxes of the lot you happen to be on. in your screenshot you can see a checkbox for them just above slot 1 on your toolbar. toggle them off there when you don't need to see the boxes anymore. viewing those boxes is not "city ui", it's just "boxes ui" and the town lawnmower pavers are a commonly-used one. that does not mean the game thinks you are trying to deco the town.

the kindred in orange does not mean you have lost ownership and need at least kindred to place, it means you're setting it so that, when it is placed, anyone else on the lot will need kindred to move it. this is a default you can change in the decoration placement settings window, accessible from the stained glass window menu, or you can change it after placement for individual items by right-clicking them. these pop up for normal items too, not just vfx, and have for ages.

[​IMG]

you cannot drag things from lot to town or vice-versa. if you want to place them on your lot you have to be on your lot when you grab them from inventory, same goes for town. if you start to deco on a lot and walk off it with an item on your cursor, you will be allowed to leave but it will pop back into your inventory. if you start to deco the town and try to walk onto a lot, you will be blocked. this is not a bug. (it is inconsistent, but the idea is the same: it's two ways of reinforcing that you have to start your decoing on the lot or in town where you intend to place it.)

i see in your third screenshot that the box is red, indicating it can't be placed there, but i DON'T see a red x, which is also part of the non-placement indicator. did you actually try to place the fireflies there, or just assume that since it said kindred you couldn't? if you actually couldn't place them, that might be a bug.

3. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

these pop up for normal items too, not just vfx, and have for ages.
    • Understood, I merely stated it to explain that I understood that was a normal occurrence and not what I was reporting as a bug.
    you cannot drag things from lot to town or vice-versa.
    • I assumed this was the case, I was demonstrating that the game is not mistaking me for being in the POT zone instead of the lot zone.

i see in your third screenshot that the box is red, indicating it can't be placed there, but i DON'T see a red x - if you actually couldn't place them, that might be a bug.
    • I took a better screenshot from a closer angle, but you cannot see the mouse icons in screenshots so unfortunately you will have to take my word that there is an X across the mouse icon as well. The X across the arrow icon keeps flickering - but yes, I did try to place the item and no, it will not allow me to place it. When I let go of the mouse button it just appears back in my inventory.

[​IMG]

4. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

Okay, so a factor was eliminated, I am no longer steward of Beran's Reach, but the problem is persisting.

• I am able to place ground fog deco without issue in my lots in Jaanaford, Xenos, and Novia Market - Unique factor seems to be Beran's Reach
      • Is it possible there is a global limit of effects per scene?
    • I reloaded the game multiple times, but nothing seems to be able to let me place fire flies, ground fog, or flocks of birds, etc. down anymore - just within the city of Beran's Reach.

Mark 1:17, 5:10, 8:27

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
  5. Alley Oop

@Sorgin Txakal, @Kaizen Strava reported a similar bug (in the same town!) and i finally clued into a possible solution looking at his screenshot. grass/tree removers are meant to be town deco only. if they are placed on lots before they are claimed and then the lot is claimed, the removers will interfere with placement of other items that have the same sort of deco placement box.

Sorgin Txakal and Anpu like this.
  6. Alley Oop

7. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

I believe the underlying bug still persists, that if a grass/tree remover is on the lot before the lot is claimed, then vfx decos will generally not be placeable. If the lot is claimed, decorated, and then the grass/tree remover is placed, that seems to function as an effective work around. For lots that were already placed on top of grass/tree removers, putting the lot into storage, unclaiming the lot, removing the grass/tree remover, reclaiming the lot, placing vfx decos, and then placing grass/tree remover resolves the issue.

It should be noted though that this workaround would require the governor or steward of a town to participate in any redecorating of a player house should said decorating involve vfx decos or will have to be fairly strategic in how the lots are set up vs the grass/tree removers in some areas of some biomes.

8. Alley Oop

any claimed lot has all grass and trees removed from it automatically. there should be no need to place one on a claimed lot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.