Food Wishlist - Ingredient/Buff Ideas for Food

Discussion in 'Queued for Review/Processing' started by Elgarion, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

I must respectfully disagree.

Fire mages now, it seems, have a wider array of things to pick from including boosting their summon, focusing more specifically on crits, reducing fizzle for more flexibility of gear, or purely on fire attunement.

There will be plenty of food vendors and other options in game to obtain these foods, even if the list stands as it is once the "feed the village" buff is brought into game. I agree the fire attunement food specifically might be a bit too rare, but I am sure all rough edges will be addressed in time.

Edit: Respectfully disagreeing. Practicing Emotional Intelligence before responding to posts, keeping it calm, productive, and not making the dev's jobs harder during snowmageddon by starting an argument on the forums. Sorry, been a rough week for many people :(

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
  2. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

I feel I must disagree.

The last food buff pass did a great job of creating a diversity of foods people wanted to eat, this work is continuing on in that direction by standardizing the way food buffs are created so that it is easier for people to know what foods they would want to eat for what situation. For a professional in game chef like myself, I like to have a reason to stock my vendor with a wider array of foods instead of the top 5 most commonly consumed foods which were deemed to have the "best" buffs. I like the idea that, as a combat generalist, I can change up what foods I eat for a given situation and it makes both financial and practical buff sense to do so.

I see this as a huge win for a diverse player economy as it is a step away from the "one best way" to do/make something which has infiltrated a few differnet metas in game.

As Elgarion said, more foods will continue to be added, more balance passes will be done - it is not going to be 100% perfect in the first iteration. What matters most is, is the direction food is going a positive one or negative one - I say positive because it will make it both easier for players experiment for different cumulative effects that could be beneficial and it will also shine a light on the diversity of builds based on what people are eating. Say, for example, if no one is eating sun attunement foods, both the devs and the players can see that and then a conversation can be had on why without having to default to, "well there is no equivalent to X that this food buff gives".

Sean Silverfoot and Aldo like this.
  3. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I was wondering where obsidian foods went...

4. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I think these changes are fantastic! Thank you for all the hard work you did on this. It will be interesting watching how the various food will evolve from usefulness as well as from the player economy side.

5. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

I see the obsession with every single system leeching off adventuring for relevance as a huge loss for having players at all.

6. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I’m not exactly certain what you mean. Can you provide an actual example of this?

Sorgin Txakal likes this.
  7. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

Well, the food system. That's why I brought it up. The only reason to make food in SotA is because it gives combat buffs. The system simply sponges relevance off the adventure aspect of the game instead of bringing anything of its own. The majority of SotA's crafting is guilty of this. It isn't fun on its own, it simply attaches itself to something people find fun to gain relevance. It's a parasitic system.

Nothing in SotA says that going into dungeons and trying to build a powerful character is how you win the game or have to play. People just do it because they want to. The parts of a game that people voluntarily engage in are your driving systems, these are the parts of the game that bring people in. There are also systems that people do not voluntarily interact with. They do not make their own contribution to the enjoyment of the game. A really common design mistake in games is to take those systems and give them false relevance by hitching them to the driving systems somehow. Nobody likes cooking, lots of people like killing monsters, so we make cooking part of the things you need to do to kill monsters, and now people treat cooking as though they like it. But they don't actually like it. If they did like it they would have done it without it being attached to killing monsters. The killing monsters portion of the game is now dragging dead weight.

It's not that every single form of nested system where one thing builds on another is bad, but when each one of those systems is fun of its own they increase the overall quality of the game experience when they are hooked together. When the systems would not get used in a vacuum they are parasitic. That's why this food overhaul doesn't fix the fundamental problem with food in SotA. It doesn't make the food system pull its own weight, it's just attaching a nicer rope to a dead horse.

8. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

:confused:

That's like saying nobody likes crafting.

Does the act of pressing a button and watching a bar fill up fill my heart with glee? No. Its the context around it. The hunt for the beast I took down, the moment it fell, my knife digging into its skin and ripping its flesh off, taking my time to season it and then eating it or sell it to buy arrows to go hunt some more.

I'm not trying to play cooking mama of the avatar, I am trying to stretch out the glory of a worthy kill into every facet. I want to hunt a dragon, use its bones for my weapons, its scales & hide for my armor, eat it, and mount its skull on my wall. This is the kind of gameplay that brought me here, the context of the items you craft and place, not the functional gameplay of crafting.

But the further the crafting gameplay can meet the needs of situational gameplay (this buff vs this buff to take on X or Y) the more engaging I believe it becomes at a conceptual level, and that's really what crafting is all about IMO.

9. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

So.... food that gives bonuses for harvesting is combat based. Ok.....

Sean Silverfoot and Leylu420 like this.
  10. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

If your heart isn't set on Trilobite Comps @Elgarion , I have this one last hail-mary for Trilobite Jambalaya. I think this is an appropriate recipe for a T3 Earth Attunement Food - and @Justiciar would love some more market demand for tomatoes in a sought after food :D

Trilobite Jambalaya:
    • 3 Trilobite Meat
    • 1 Pork Meat
    • 1 Chicken Meat
    • 1 Jar Vegetable Stock
    • 2 Tomatoes
    • 3 Peppers
    • 1 Garlic
    • 1 Onion

Gravidy and Widsith [MGT] like this.
  11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

A good number of the buffs have nothing to do with combat (crafting, harvesting, even training skills).

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  12. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

Might Dragon Egg Omelets be the first food we see Bacon as an ingredient in?

We're talking butter, bacon, peppers, mushrooms, and onions on a feed the village scale?

Edit: Mushrooms
    Edit2: Cheese, of course, how could I have forgotten cheese
    Edit3: An Ostrich egg is equivalent to 24 chicken eggs, so 1 dragon egg ~25 2-3-egg omelets?

Something like this?

Brainstormed recipe on SotA Discord

Dragon egg Omelet (Makes 25?)
    • Dragon Egg (Any Color)
    • 15 Butter
    • 10 Cheese
    • 10 Bacon
    • 20 Peppers
    • 15 Mushrooms
    • 10 Onions

13. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

I would argue that the crafting system can in fact not stand on its own. It is parasitic to the adventuring portion of the game. Even if some people enjoy playing that way it happens at the expense of those who don't.

14. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

Given that the pointy nose of the fish delivers a piercing attack, then yeah it'd make more sense for the skill boost to be something like thrust.

15. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

I'll try to make any 1 category not too reliant upon fishing. I'll shift away some of the lava fish to other things. Drop rates, maybe? I probably won't be diving into the feed the village adjustments until after release.

Maybe? I like the recipe for sure. Makin me hungry. I'll jot it down.

Alrighty, I'll answer more as they come in and go back and try to answer others that I missed. I'm going to be scrambling this week since its release week and still need to do the update and store stuff.

Wilfred, Anpu and Sorgin Txakal like this.
  16. Kelly O'Shay

Kelly O'Shay Avatar

@Elgarion love the list! great changes to make it more complete.
    umm, you have a typo in Harvest Wheat Bear

Wilfred and Elgarion like this.
  17. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Alrighty, I did another pass to better distribute trophy fish into different categories so 1 category wasn't overwhelmed with trophy fish. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1o7yqH-Bdr1lotJABCS3e508oPFBr8y5xBv114dpczJo/edit?usp=sharing

This will likely be my last pass before release. Next month I'll continue to take input and start making all of the new recipes. I've already adjusted some of the names of the new foods per comments. More might come as I dig deeper into comments next month. None of them have been made yet, so plenty of time.

18. lordarach

lordarach Avatar

What about splitting the general cooking skill into disciplines, like cuisine, patisserie, & brewing? It would add more trees to develop as well as recipe skill requisites for various dishes. To complicate it further, you could also have a undercooked, just right, and overcooked system that provides and takes stats away depending on level of doneness. Raw food could provide a poison tick while burnt food would reduce effectiveness. I know it would require a lot of new coding, but compared to other skill trees, cooking is quite underdeveloped.

Widsith [MGT], Leylu420 and Elgarion like this.
  19. Gadfrey Zukes

Gadfrey Zukes Avatar

A cool outcome for cooking might be when you get an exceptional, you unlock a recipe that can only be acquired that way.

It would simulate an experienced chef experimenting and discovering a new dish.

not sure what the “drop rate” would be, but something for @Elgarion to chew on (pun intended)

20. AzazelReborn

AzazelReborn Avatar

@Elgarion A technical question, maybe you know or you could ask other Devs for the answer.

INT to DPS ratio - What does 3-9 INT does to increase DPS/Crit Chances and Crit Damage
    Same for STR and DEX please?

It's good to know exact detail in order to plan and develop your character.

Next question is do you know the ingredients for Pop Crackle Candy so we can start collecting the ingredients? From the spreadsheet standpoint, all the Fish Food I have now don't do anything for my build since this change.

Elgarion likes this.