Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Crafting - Much more fun!

Discussion in 'Release 3 Feedback' started by brhanson2, Feb 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brhanson2

brhanson2 Avatar

I love the new interface for crafting along with the take all button and the ability to double click a recipe and auto load the table with ingredients. I will love crafting!

Is there a key to click to drag one item to the crafting interface without getting the gump to pick the qty? I figured out how to move a full stack just not 1 item.

All in all major strides in crafting. In all MMOs im mainly a crafter (UO still has the best crafting in all MMOs in my opinion) and this is looking good.

Kaisa likes this.
  2. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Though I'm sure you have figured this out by now : Hold down the Ctrl-key. :)

3. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I totally agree, much more fun.

4. bcxanth

bcxanth Avatar

I'm actually not a fan of how crafting is developing. I have no idea what to do. The molds don't tell me what items they need, or what crafting station uses them. There is no trainer or recipe book other than the starter stuff they give you. I'm supposed to "discover" recipes, and have no idea how to even begin. People say this is for "immersion," and I think that's ridiculous. If you want to learn blacksmithing, tailoring, etc in the real world, you don't just start shoving things at other things and see what works. You have a mentor or teacher of some kind, or at the very least a Tailoring for Dummies book to guide you through. All crafting seems like to me so far is a large waste of time dealing with the frustration of having no clue what you're doing. And yes, I know there's at least one website out there already that has info, but I'm trying to play without the outside help. I'm just really disappointed. I feel like it's the old days of Asheron's Call when you had to figure out the components for a magic spell by figure out which ingredients corresponded with the different syllables of the spell words. Turbine got rid of that mechanic because people hated it and ended up going to third party programs to help them learn their spells. The same thing is going to happen here with crafting.

Ned888 likes this.
  5. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

It's more easy now to craft yes, but not more fun. I still hold hope they will improve the crafting system. I am a huge crafter in every game I play, and this is important to me.

Wiki will take away the challenge of receipe discovery, so that challenging part of crafting will be gone. The ability to interact with your crafting thus far is non-existant.

I hope they will improve crafting before release. Click receipe book, click craft, done...Hmmm something's missing for me here...If I failed what went wrong? If I succeeded what went right?

Time Lord, Zoxx and Ned888 like this.
  6. selbie

selbie Avatar

I don't want to sound too trite, but this is early alpha. That support just doesn't exist yet. I agree with you that trial and error is bad, but I have a feeling there will be countless in-game spellbooks, journals, guides etc on the various crafting professions - once they are ready. I'm sure there will still be some secret recipes, but ideally those would be found by following various clues left around the world.

Risick likes this.
  7. Bayridge

Bayridge Avatar

I like the improvements in crafting, but wish one method that could be added. I personally used inventory mode for crafting.

I think if you could just double click an item (in your inventory) and it will automatically move ONE of that item to the crafting table this could be quite helpful in experimenting and just normal crafting. A plus
    would be every time you double click the item it would keep adding to the total on the crafting table by one.

Hello, hopefully my suggestion is read by a developer.

Thanks

8. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

I agree... all you ever got in games like UO was that you failed and lost materials. Maybe having a slightly more in-depth method of crafting where you add materials and try something to learn the next recipe, and when you fail, you get a response that tells you why. Take making an iron bar... as soon as you have the mold, a piece of ore, a piece of coal and the tongs, the craft button is available, as it is if you have 6 pieces of ore and 3 pieces of coal. In the case of the near miss (just missing a few ore), it tells you that you succeeded in smelting the ore, but misjudged the ore needed and failed to fill the mold. Likewise, the other one would result in a message that tells you the metal overran the mold, and the result was brittle, perhaps using less coal would help?

just a quick thought ;)

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  9. Hazard

Hazard Avatar

I'm liking the framework, although personally am not enamored with the factory-like speed of pumping out material by clicking two buttons over and over. I hope they eventually add waiting times, varying qualities and material loss based on skill and/or luck (if going for higher quality), and wouldn't mind having some sort of craft requiring you to come back after a certain time to check in (e.g. baking). As far as discovery of recipes I still think it will just lead to half the people checking an online site for ease of use or possible frustration... would personally like to see this change to some degree.

monxter likes this.
  10. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I have a feeling I have been here before. My prediction is that the crafting people will eventually force a separation between pvp areas and "safe" areas. I know there is the single player mode, but already there is pressure to limit the quantity of raw materials in single player areas to force the crafter to engage in the multiplayer environment. It just is not possible for a resource gatherer to have time to learn combat skills, healing skills, gathering skills, and etc. while his opponents just have to be adept at combat in order to ruin the gatherer's life. More than likely the crafter/gatherer will not be able to carry all the skills he needs to defend himself while gathering (skill limiting).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.