Well of Aldur secrets !?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dyonisys, Feb 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Net

Net Avatar

I do not know much latin and Google Translate is somewhat unreliable, so I would welcome any help translating transcriptions from the amulet quest.
    There are 5 notes so far.
    Amulet Transcription: Te amo in aeternum
    - this one is bugged for me and opens the next note
    Amulet Transcription: Sistria nobis pacem celebra
    Amici, Sistria hic sumus celebraturi, et omnis gloria eius.
    Numquam ante iam quisquam iuga nostra pervenit civilization "stella ex urbe." Urbis nostrae centra studiorum amore artium concentus convivia inire certamen qui infra magis. Nos non vsus inseruientium, nostras indigentias vel desideria compleantur.
    Hodie autem factum nostris adde unum album de gestis disseruit. Praesento uobis uirum noster lunares abruptionis.
    Amulet Transcription: Non est bonum hoc
    Stellae de caelo erat. Iam tenet altera lunae caelique moderatio.
    Quod oculus lunae defecit nobis. Et dux et protector noster est. Et non mutat fata sui. Et egressus est nos mori.
    Sunt enim in CATACLYSMUS mali propter hanc rem?
    Haec mea culpa non est. Ut non sit ex poenas pro peccatis hominum, qui vivunt sub me.
    Non est bonum hoc.
    Amulet Transcription: Non est avatar
    Et qui vivunt infra nos, ad mendacium. Dicunt avatar ambulat in eis. Non credere est.
    Avatar viventem est formam virtus. Cur ego non avatar?
    Quod peregrinum futurum non docebit nos de virtutibus? Nec iam perfectum est societas nostra?
    Amulet Transcription: In mundo Infra
    Orbis terrarum clade infra nos est. Populus enim sub pondere nituntur suae arbitrium proprium terribilis. In malam pestem et famem et corrumpuntur ea in terra, ad infectionem anime.
    Non enim dedit nobis Alabastia sub his tenebris ad lucem temporibus per viam eorum, sed ipsi esse loquax Lectiones fere ex eorum avatar. Quod patet ex defectis illa Lectiones quia nemo auxilium.
    Sistria sit passus ab eis qui vivunt super proventus infra. Solus ego gratias ago pro hoc. Vitia nobis incolumem testantur patitur.
    Ego te libenter iter distulit. Te pertinent, in urbe de Sky. Veniam autem ad vos. Dulcis placenta quam ego adducam servum meum amo.

EDIT:
    Amulet Transcription: Te amo in aeternum
    Non enim multum tempus. A has coepi exitium magnum. Nostrum est in domum suam solveret. Ingens ad terram ultimam shards cadunt. Sistria est incidentia fuit.
    Et quomodo poterit esse quod loqueris? Magia fuisse necesse est non habere. Quomodo sit amet potentem?
    Oculus lunae reliquit nobis. Forsitan illa, sciens quod venire.
    Et abiit odium lunares. Non est effugium.
    Redundans fons erumpit. Seconds habeo.
    Vos oro ut in Alabastia.
    Sit stellas custodiat te.
    Te amo in aeternum.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
    Wilfred, Rinaldi and Saesa like this.
  2. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Huh, I avoided the spoilers, but I know Latin. (though I'm pretty rusty and my vocab is pretty gone.)

That's gonna take me a while, though...

FrostII and Net like this.
  3. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I ran it through some online translators. Which are mostly terrible, but:
    It seems they were living in a city floating above the world prior to the cataclysm, possibly named Sistria. They were maybe aware of the cataclysm coming, or were watching it happen, and seemed to believe it was punishment for something with the virtues. Not immediately obvious if they thought they were bring punished for adhering to the virtues, or abandoning them.

This will take some work. Somewhat curious, they left the word "sky" untranslated in one of the notes. I'm hoping that's not an indication they used an online translator to get the Latin in the first place, that'll make this exceedingly difficult. I'm also going to presume that "Sistria" is not a translated word. I can't find anything that fits that. Closest I can come is sistra, which is the nominative/vocative/accusative plural form of sistrum, meaning "rattle or drum used in the worship of Isis."

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    FrostII, Wilfred, Saesa and 2 others like this.
  4. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Hm. I started with "Sistria Nobis Pacem Celebra." This is... not easy. I think maybe they used an online translator. (Or, possibly, I am really really bad at this now.) But there are a few words here and there that are untranslated (sky, civilization) which aren't helping. The ends of words in Latin are important to determining what goes with what. I can make some guesses, but when you start throwing in passive voice and such, it can be hard to tell if a word is the subject or an object or what.

And at one point, a sentence starts talking about "our city's art centers and concerts" and then ends with "enter the contest below for more." Like, maybe there was a copy/paste error into the translator.

FrostII, Wilfred, Saesa and 2 others like this.
  5. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Well, DAMN, @Sannio.

Anybody wanna guess what "protector" translates to?

FrostII, Wilfred, Saesa and 1 other person like this.
  6. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

@Sannio

Wilfred, Net and Saesa like this.
  7. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

This is my best shot at the second one in that list. Not how I expected to spend my Sunday, exactly.

This is not good

He was stars from the sky. Now he holds control of the other moon and the sky.
    Because the eye of the moon has failed us. And he is our leader and guardian. And he changes not fate itself. And he has left us to die.
    They are truly in a Cataclysm of evil because of this thing?
    This is not my fault. Let it not be out of the penalty for the sins of men, who live under me.
    This is not good.

General issues: The "he" may be "it" as there is no context as to which it is.

Stellae de caelo erat. "He was stars from the sky."

I'm not really sure about that. Part of the problem is that "stellae" could be either "stars/the stars" OR "star's/of the star." The problem, though, is that if it were "stars" it would have to be the subject of the sentence. But the verb (erat) is singular. However, if I take the whole phrase "stellae de caelo" that would be "stars from the sky/heavens." If "erat" (which means he/she/it was) has an unspoken subject (like how "cogito" means "I think") then I think it works if the sentence means "he was stars from the sky/heavens." Though, that doesn't feel right to me either.

Quod oculus lunae defecit nobis. "Because the eye of the moon has failed us."

I may be a bit off on this one as well. Mainly, I would expect to see the accusative "nos" instead of the dative "nobis." I suspect that "failed" is being used as an intransitive, and so us can't be accusative. But I can't find anything that supports or rejects that.

Ut non sit ex poenas pro peccatis hominum, qui vivunt sub me. "May it not be out of the penalty for the sins of men, who live under me."

I probably have that wrong, but that's the easiest translation. It's got a subjunctive in there, which for reasons I'm not going to get into (and only sort of remember myself) it means there's lots of potential things that could be going on here.

Of course, it's hard to make real sense out of it, as a) it's being mysterious, and b) my translation may be off.

But even so, "leader and guardian?" Or is that, "leader and Guardian?"

FrostII, Wilfred, Net and 2 others like this.
  8. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

i wonder if this is the shuttered eye, the crescent being the eyelid

9. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Hard to say. I'm sorta stuck on the "other" moon, it sort of implies somebody controls one and "he" controls the other?

I wish there was a way to get an "actual" translation of these. I'm sure even if I got all the words technically correct, knowing the specifics is probably never going to be possible. For example, "caelum" means sky. But it can also mean heavens. And weather, and climate, and space, and universe, and apparently Jehovah.

Wilfred, Net, Saesa and 1 other person like this.
  10. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

One more for tonight, then I need to not look at words in other languages for a while.

Et qui vivunt infra nos, ad mendacium. "And those who live beneath us, to falsehood."

So. I think there may be an idiom here I can't identify. Or possibly a mistake. "ad" is to or toward, and usually takes an accusative, which "mendacium" (falsehood) is. But "in mendacium" (in falsehood) would make more sense. Unless, as I said, there is an idiomatic use I am not aware of.

Avatar viventem est formam virtus. The avatar is the living model of virtue.

Truthfully, this one is pretty much a guess. For one, "Avatar" isn't a Latin word, and without a Latin ending, I'm not sure how it's supposed to be treated. Also, none of the other words agree with each other in a way that makes any sense. Technically, "virtue" is the subject of the sentence, and everything else is a direct object. Except "est" is an intransitive verb, and can't take a direct object. So either something here is really wrong, or there is some arcane bit of latin at play that I can't quite grasp. However, my guess seems to fit.

Cur ego non avatar? Why am I not an avatar?

May not be correct. There is actually no verb in the sentence. I think maybe it should read, "Cur ego non avatar sum?"

Quod peregrinum futurum non docebit nos de virtutibus? What kind of future traveler will not teach us about the virtues?

So, this was a strange one. For one, I learned that doceo (or in this case, docebit, he/she/it shall/will teach) takes two accusatives. (That was an idiomatic usage I was able to find.) Also... Peregrinum futurum can mean either "strange/foreign future" or "future pilgrim/traveller." The latter form is a direct object, and for this sentence to parse, it needed to be a subject, which the former is. But I admit, that doesn't as make much sense, and "future traveller" does. But I stuck to what seems to parse.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  11. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

FrostII, Sannio, Wilfred and 4 others like this.
  12. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Couldn't stay away. Took another crack at Sistria nobis pacem celebra.

Still really struggling with most of it. I think one line in particular is missing some commas.

But, the last two lines were pretty straightforward.

"Today adds one thing to our list of accomplishments. I present to you a man from our lunar rift."

I'm guessing that is the Isle of Storms, which must have been part of the Well of Aldur before the cataclysm. When transcribing that, I missed the word "man." I thought they had built their own lunar rift, but no, they're celebrating the arrival of someone through the rift. Possibly Lord British?

EDIT: I had that a bit off. Serves me right for staying up late and trying to use my brain. I've changed my translation, and will post a mostly complete translation of that note in a bit.

FrostII, Anpu, Wilfred and 3 others like this.
  13. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

Sorry about that. I just submitted a fix. Hopefully it'll be in with an upcoming patch, but at worst it'll be in with the next release.

FrostII, Net, Saesa and 1 other person like this.
  14. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

You know, given that it's kind of implied ol' Thaddeus is maybe not getting things exactly right here, I'm wondering if that's why some of these are so freakin' difficult to translate. Like, it's deliberately "off" thanks to the professor's ineptitude. There's a few times where a "u" was replaced by a "v" and vice versa; it's thrown me off more than once now. And there's one sentence that's just a giant pile of subjects and direct objects, with only a single verb in the infinitive. I had to get creative there.Which means my translation is probably pretty inaccurate, but compared to what Google comes up with, I think I'm ahead.

Sannio and Net like this.
  15. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

1. Despite looking a Latin word, I believe Sistria to be the name of the place or city. (Devolved form of Sosaria?) Mainly from context, but it's also capitalized as a proper noun in the first line of the note. (as well as the title, but it's also the first word there, so that doesn't mean anything.)
    2. The bit from "Our city's centers... " to "fulfill our needs" is probably incorrect. I had a hell of a time with that.I think maybe there's a missing verb in both sentences. In the first one, changing the noun "banquet" to the very similar looking verb "come together" made 75% of the problems I was having go away.However, that isn't really accurate to the text. An even then, it's still a large collection of subject-case nouns and object-case nouns. Maybe there should be some commas too? But I think what I came up with seems to fit. At least for the first of those two sentences.
    3. In the second of that pair, I'm not sure how to translate "inseruientium." I believe it is actually a case of a u being a v (common in Latin) making the word "inservientium." Which is the present participle of "inservo," which means "to be serviceable, to serve the interests of." so the participle would be something like, servicing the interests of." and it's in the posessive plural form. So I thought maybe it was an edified word- like, when you add -ium to a word to make it into a place, like librarium. I'm not sure that's correct either, though.
    4. One theory I have (aside from "Cora took Latin twenty-five year ago and is very very rusty") is that in the game, it seems as thought Professor Smails isn't as smart as he thinks he is. His translations may be deliberately wrong. For one, the word "civilazation" in the original isn't Latin. And two, there are several instances of v/u mixups. That is apart of Latin, and presumably whoever wrote these did that on purpose. And there... Word order isall over the palce, and stuff doesn't always agree...but again, that might just be my inexperience.

Whenever we have peace!

O, my friends, we are here to celebrate the sistrum, and all the glory of his name. Never before had anyone reached the heights of our civilization, "the star from the city." To enter into the love of the arts, concerts of groups of the centers of the struggle of our city, which we shall explain further their studies. We will not for wants of the, of our needs or desires may be fulfilled. Today, it is one thing to add to our list of accomplishments. I present to you our lunar rift.

Net and Anpu like this.
  16. mystarr

mystarr Avatar

Does anyone know what the devices with green cylinders of fluid do? You can put 4 crystals in each of them but I cant activate them.

17. Net

Net Avatar

they are for the one time quest from the professors, he provides you with a control wheel and you can use acid o see what it does to the crystal cluster. Have not figured any other use. I think the key word was 'acid test' not 100% sure though.

18. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Those are used in a quest from Thaddaeus Smalls.

Net likes this.
  19. Net

Net Avatar

Well, Suutak, Master of Tempests can be killed after all. I have to thank all party members. I am no 100% sure about its loot, I highly suspect it had Suutak's bluster though. And 882 gold:)
    Anyway after many tries and deaths it is finally dead!

PS: The focus drain is extremely nasty.

[​IMG]

20. Takotora

Takotora Avatar

Hi Net :)
    Thanks nice photo !
    We will hunt again ;)

EbiPirafu

Net likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.