Checked out steam charts Looks like pop is trending up

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brass Knuckles, Mar 15, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Nice work devs looks like what ever your doing it’s bringing up the pop numbers. This to me has always been the true report card. Keep it up even though I don’t play anymore I still want sota to do well. It’s obvious your hard at work doing the right things.

For those of you tempted to say that steam does not reflect the total player base - this I know and don’t care :). Steam charts are a consistent since persistence it shows enough of a history to forecast trends.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
  2. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

It could possibly be related to the AFK change. The best way to keep more people in the game is to not kick them out without a good reason.

3. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Avatar

FYI from Chris' Facebook post on a review someone left that was favorable as well.

"Also, as always, they list our Steam concurrency as our concurrency when that is about 1/4th or less of our player base"

So take your steam chart and Shroud Math it x4 plus.

4. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

since shroud is impossible to track I discount those numbers for this purpose, steam numbers are visible and easily verifiable. Also I believe most new growth will be captured in those numbers as well.

steam shows a consistent up trend! Catnip should consider advertising on steam I’ve never seen a sota add there.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
  5. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

There’s a number of consumable items in the API you can see getting used more and more as more people play as well.

6. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

It doesn't take peeps all that long to realize that some good efforts are being made.......... :)

7. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

Looking at Steam Charts I don't perceive any up trend. It's roughly stable in the last 6 months.
    The increase this month is basically just recovering from the heavy losses in early 2021.

8. Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin

Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin Avatar

Yup, upticks don’t matter, it’s whether those new players stick around that matters.

Hopefully the new numbers aren’t just botters.

9. Powersurge45

Powersurge45 Avatar

The game is good and getting better. Our game is extremely curve crushing as it pertains to learning all the basics. There is a TON of things to learn and the tutorial only touches on a few items. Learning all that awaits a player takes over 100+ hours of gameplay and i am still learning things after 6 years. As players, we need to continue to help the new players. I see more people in Soltown of late and we need to be there to help them with advice, question help or even a small amount of coin or gear to get them started.

When i started i roamed around for a solid month not knowing what to do. Most players dont have that kind of patience. We need to help them along. I helped 2 new guys just yesterday get started in understanding just a small snippet. I see veterans around helping and thats great. I think the improvements to the game and older players helping out the new guys has to be making an impact and its good to see.

10. Womby

Womby Avatar

I started playing when the game was still being wiped with every release. The world consisted entirely of the Hidden Vale. Over the years I had focused mainly on player created content, writing stories and operating bookstores. Steam lists my player hours as 6,489.3, but that doesn't include the times that I didn't play through Steam. Back then, improvements like player created dungeons were yet to be introduced. Eventually my friends drifted away and I followed. Just recently, I was indulging in some nostalgia when something caught my eye:

"...Expand player-created content opportunities - This largely involves new features and content, which is why it is closer to the bottom of the list. Adding new tools and other means for players to create stories of their own and customize their own play experiences, using Lua and other options, continues to be a big focus for our team." - Chris (Shroud Vision statement).

Feeling moderately inspired (I have a coding background), I deleted an old alt character and started over. I had to know what, if anything, had changed. I have to say the game is smoother, prettier and a lot less grindy than it used to be. Progression is faster, as is movement. The starting game sequences are completely different, and in my opinion much improved. I am following the main story line and side quests (again), and having a blast. I don't know if this enthusiasm will last, but I'm starting to feel creative - and I don't know of any other games that cater to player creativity as much as SotA does.

I expect I'll take my newly minted character through to "endgame", and see how I feel then. It's nice to be back.

Elwyn, Asclepius, Lord Stein and 6 others like this.
  11. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

12. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Every third release.

13. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

every release. R13 was the first release to carry data over.

Elwyn, Lord Stein, Wilfred and 3 others like this.
  14. Oakenhammer

Oakenhammer Avatar

Regardless of what the Steam concurrent numbers or API data say, the best indicator of the project health is changes in the size of the development team. Over the past year the team has added a number of new team members, which means that sustainable revenues are up enough to justify the additional resources.

15. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Wrong.....

16. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

This is why I feel like we should encourage and even incentivize the Hospitallers. We need more active Hospitallers, scheduled, to cover 24 hours to answer questions and hang out in newbie zones.

17. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well that is a bit touchy. One of the biggest complaints I've heard from new players is from being approached by players and feeling weirded out by it. I say fix the interface to let players know what is what. We don't have a knowledge journal they can see what the game offers with tabs for quests,daily housing, adventure scenes, achievement/tasks,music system and more. Other players can seem scary and intimidating to a new person. Hospitalers were not imo meant to be a permanent thing. A help desk would be better with a cache chest at a welcome center for questions. Just my two cents.

18. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Why are people approaching new players at all? I totally was talking about being there for help and questions, not chasing people down lmao. Other players seem scary? That seems odd for someone choosing to play an MMO. Again, Hospitallers can totally be there to answer questions in chat and such. That is not scary at all.

Now if what you mean is players that give everything to new players and take away the challenge of actually being a new player, YES, that is a problem. Most of us love the journey and wish to make it mostly on our own, with some help when requested.

19. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

And it's good to see you back, Womby :) People miss your book stores! ;)

20. Powersurge45

Powersurge45 Avatar

Some of these posts contradict what i have seen lately. I usually see universe chat light up with questions and players asking for more assistance from the veteran players. Not necessarily gold or gear, but where they can find a recipe or learn how to make potions or how to find reagents. I also get new players asking what they should be doing in the game. I haven't really ran into those folks that are intimidated or feel weirded out by an older player looking to help. I guess there are all kinds. I'm not sure how we can promote the game without approaching new players and asking if they need any help or have questions. That is the only way I know how I can help. All players are different...just recently saw a post about a player who was having fun a week ago, but 1 week later is frustrated and says they are leaving the game only after playing for about 2 weeks because they couldnt get help with their issues in the game from other players or the Portalarium folks to fix his technical issue with Steam. Of course this just might not be the game for them either. Some folks just simply cannot stop the "race to the end game" mode they have been accustomed to in virtually all RPG where MMO or otherwise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.