Salvage Changes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cora Cuz'avich, Mar 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Last stream, Elgarion gave us a (too) short preview of some of the upcoming changes to salvage. I asked a question about pattern drops, and got an answer, but I wanted to add more, and the stream wasn't the place to do it.
    So, once upon a time, patterns were sort of rare. Rare enough people complained; if you wanted say, a Khopesh sword pattern, you might need to scrap 50 or 60 of them to get one. So, the devs changed it so that your salvage skill affected the drop chance.

Awesome! Well, at first. If your skill is pretty high, you end up getting a lot of patterns. After you get a couple, you don't really need them anymore. And that's for ones that have a "low" drop chance. For the things that are set to drop patterns more often (rusty/shoddy/dirty gear) you may end up with 60-70% of your items returning patterns.

Problem is, when scrapping, only one thing can drop. Unless you are after a specific pattern, you are most likely scrapping items either to get the scrap, or to get a component. And when a pattern drops, you don't get anything else. (Hopefully, it was set up so that if you got a component, that took precedence over all else; I'd hate to think all those Woodwind Bow patterns could potentially have been elven strings...) If you're just after gold, it's usually better to just sell the item to an NPC vendor than to try and sell the scrap to a player.

Regardless, unless an item currently drops a component, most scrapping is done to get the actual scrap, which is useful in crafting.

So, my concern is, with the new changes, and items dropping more components, we're (further) losing our main source of scrap. (Already rough for metal scrap, since most metal items that drop regularly in higher level areas have patterns; less of a problem with wood, as most high level archer mobs drop basic long bows, which have no pattern.) Elgarion did state that patterns would likely be scrappable for wood pulp. But, if I'm after metal scrap, getting a bunch of pulp is much less ideal. (Unless I used a lot of pulp for other things.) Also, the NPC merchants will probably give me more gold for the pattern than I could make off selling the pulp.

Ideally, scrapping could be changed so multiple items can drop. If I scrap a rusty sword, I'd like to get some scrap every time, and once in a while also a pattern. For items that drop components, it's probably less of an issue, though it would be nice to still get some scrap and maybe a pattern, even if a component drops. No matter how well thought out the components will be, there will always be some less desirable than others, so getting scrap with those will still make scrapping worthwhile.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    Wilfred, Elwyn, Elgarion and 6 others like this.
  2. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

ALSO: on a related, note, can somebody (@Elgarion) check the recipe for Leather from Scraps? The other "from Scrap" recipes are set up so that using scrap saves on materials. (e.g. 4 cotton = 2 spools of thread, or 1 cotton + 12 scraps = 1 spool of thread) However, the leather recipes offer no similar savings (2 hides = 2 leather, vs. 1 hide and six scrap = 1 leather.) Granted, animal hides are a lot easier to come by, so maybe it's not as useful. But currently, there is no reason to use the scraps recipe, unless maybe you have an odd number of hides, and really want to use that last one instead of saving it.

Wilfred, Elwyn, Elgarion and 4 others like this.
  3. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

When you salvage an item for an eternal pattern you do get some scrap. So that functionality does exist. No idea why that isn’t set the same way with the regular patterns.....

I still want a selectable recipe/option called NEVER SALVAGE ITEM FOR PATTERN option too.

4. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I suspect it's a setting more to do with being an Eternal Pattern than being part of the normal salvage system.

And I would think if patterns dropped in addition to other things as opposed to instead of, having a special salvage recipe would be moot. Unless you hate gold.

Wilfred and Mal Hari like this.
  5. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Seems easy enough to just allow patterns and scrap on the same salvage. Could also make a produce pattern recipe that uses the item.

6. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

From the stream, it sounded as if artifacts will still drop essences, even if they drop a component. I might have misunderstood that, though- when he said they'd "still drop essences," he might have just meant that essences aren't going away, not necessarily that they'll drop alongside artifact components.

However, if it's the case that they'll drop alongside essences, it seems to me that tech isn't a limitation. More likely it's a side effect of the old rarity of patterns. When they were fairly rare, they could be a more desirable drop than scrap. Now that they fall like rain while salvaging, they've become a less desirable result.

7. nimueCW

nimueCW Bug Hunter

You are right about the functionality. Before patterns, it was possible to get more than 1 kind of scrap when salvaging. For example, if you salvaged an axe, you could get metal and wood (since it has parts made with both) or salvage a sword and get metal scrap plus an iron ingot etc. I don't remember if there was a reason this was changed.

8. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I think it still works this way, I get bow string & wood when scraping bows... I surely hope that the quantity of scrap you get remains the same, just a higher chance at getting a pattern as well...

9. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

God, higher than now? I think they drop way too much as it is, unless maybe you haven't leveled your Salvage skills.

10. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Yes, I know... I have stacks of pattern, so I don't understand why/what this change is about...

11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I would be fine with patterns having a tag value of 1 gold as long as they were in addition to other items.

12. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Other salvage stuff is changing. I'm pointing out that patterns drop too much, and often in lieu of what people actually scrap for, and hoping that while they're monkeying with salvage, they can make some changes to how patterns drop. I thought I laid it all out pretty plainly.
    I'd prefer they kept whatever their current value is, but if that is the price for getting them alongside scrap/components rather than instead of those things, I'd live with it.

Elwyn and Elgarion like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.