Changes to archery

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Krovakin, Mar 25, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

I didn't assess my DPS loss (I'm too afraid to do it), but my XP income got cut by 30%. Can't dream of soloing Extreme zones.

Looks like more nerfs are in the pipeline, I expect Tactics Spec nerf and then, the last nail in the coffin, a big fat Bandit Gear nerf.

2. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

I thought those were meant for groups, so it makes sense that you won't be able to, isn't it?

necronut likes this.
  3. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

Not while Fire Mages att solo in 15 minutes.

4. necronut

necronut Avatar

I'm also looking forward to that last nail being removed so we can crawl out of this coffin. Well said! I'm also really looking forward to this much, much needed balance.

Sara Dreygon, Violet Ronso and Vesper like this.
  5. necronut

necronut Avatar

More like 5. But against highly specific targets, whereas an archer (who knows how to play SotA) can murder everything without using a single archery glyph, walk around completely immortal, and use charged free attack which costs zero focus. I have to carry focus potions to use my fire abilities, an archer carries focus potions to stay god.

Violet Ronso likes this.
  6. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

Cool information there, thanks for sharing!

7. necronut

necronut Avatar

Sure! That's how we learn!

8. Krovakin

Krovakin Avatar

lol I watched the video. All it did was prove that fire mages can kill dragons and big groups of things just as fast as archers (maybe not the highest archer in the game but VERY close). All this proves is fire mages 100% need a nerf like archers had. oh and stop saying god mode now, with the SOA nerf there is no more god mode so now that god mode is gone nerf fire mages just as hard as archers since their dps is VERY close to the same before the nerf to archers. Mages can complain all they want about all the skills they use but the point is they can drop a group of mobs faster then an archer (which is expected) but can single target 1 mob down almost as fast as an archer which should NOT be expected.

It did not take long at all to down that 1 dragon as a mage in the video, and the point is that after the recent changes, archers and mages can atten in extreme spindle, but it'll take an archer 27-35 mins if they are high level where a mage can still do it in 10-15 mins. That is way faster. Yet mages will still complain about being nerfed. We took our cut to the knees as archers.... mages turn.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    FBohler and Past Blue Ribbon like this.
  9. necronut

necronut Avatar

Amen. I'm a fire mage and I agree, almost completely, with your point.

Biggest problem with a fire spec mage is that, with spec, every single fire ability I use stacks fire resist debuff, then I can use the Evaporate combo to add even more of that debuff, then I can use Ignite weapon and any 3 hits on a target stack (-10)*3 fire resist debuff on top. There's too much fire resist debuff for a fire mage... no other mage can do that on the same level.

Where I don't agree with you is that no mage, fire or otherwise, can kill the same breadth of variety of targets that an archer can. We in Spindel? Archers can kill 100% of everything. Fire mages can kill ghosts only.

Maybe the middle ground is to make it so that an archer's arrows are only effective against specific targets like with Fire magic so we're in the same place in terms of difficulty, having to move around, use glyphs from our specific trees on our hotbars, and only being able to kill highly specific targets. (P.S. That suggestion was sarcasm. Just play a fire mage and try to attenuate as fast as you can with an archer. I'll help you get some xp so you can try it out.)

Another great suggestion: Make charged attack cost focus like everything in Fire does.

Violet Ronso likes this.
  10. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

OR! Have everyone have the same difficulty as a water mage! Can't wait to hear 99% of the population cry :p

But yes, fire is clearly way too strong with its resistance debuffs it is crazy, I still wish there was a way to ignore magical resistances with a combo or something to help other schools

necronut likes this.
  11. necronut

necronut Avatar

At the end of the day, the only reason I'm leveling up magic at all is to resist all magic more powerfully. So precisely zero nerfs will ruin my day. I'm still going to level it anyway. I'm leveling all the things, and I'm almost done. I'm just playing to get a diverse build that will allow me to swap specializations on the fly because I'll already have xp in everything else.

Violet Ronso likes this.
  12. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

Nobody will be crying if they just buff water magic to get to archer/fire mage level ;)

necronut likes this.
  13. necronut

necronut Avatar

Now we're talking! Just make the game very easy for every build! That way we can all solo every tier of content within less than a month of starting a fresh account! Yeah! Exclamation point!

Violet Ronso likes this.
  14. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

My point stands still. No one will cry.
    They can always come up with harder content and better rewards. Yeah, it may lead to power creep, but I would take power creep over constant nerf any day of the week.

15. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

With the recent loot changes, I think it's the best moment to nerf everything down a notch. The current state of the game makes it so that there are at least two classes that can nearly solo the entirety of the game, while the rest of the population looks at those two with envy while doing their humble things. Now your suggestion is to bring everyone up, making almost the entire game pointless, and then create even more new content to make up for it.

Instead, we could simply nerf the 2 outliers, bring them back to reality, and have a big portion of the game regain its former glory.

People want group content, and with archers and fire mages, the only way they can make group content is by having things that can one shot people, which is really not fun, but if the 2 unreasonably too strong classes would be brought down to normal, group content would already exist.

16. necronut

necronut Avatar

I completely agree with 100% of this. No sarcasm.

Adam Crow and Violet Ronso like this.
  17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I've been fine with the adjustments so far because they mainly affect the min-maxers without destroying the casual players. I think that @Chris has done a good job on that front.

Adam Crow likes this.
  18. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

I agree too, you nailed it @Violet Ronso.

Violet Ronso and necronut like this.
  19. Vesper

Vesper Avatar

For the record, any Air / Tactics spec archer in Bandit gear IS a min-maxers, some are good, and some suck.

Sorgin Txakal and necronut like this.
  20. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

I agree with @Barugon so far - changes don't seem to horrible just yet. It's always confusing though when you change 3 or 4 things at once: Air nerf (negative) upgrade to rare bandit chest (positive) re-enchant armour (not quite the skill or luck of Fzol) - minus 5 DEX, plus 2 STR, add Dodge boost (positive). Seems that I'm about where I was.
    I am mildly amused at players who can att in Spindle within 15 - 40 minutes. HA!!! I must be about halfway up the ladder - I can survive in Spindle, with a continuous drip feed of focus potions, but the XP earn rate is only slightly above that in Tartarus. Never come remotely close to attenuating. I really need to hit a lot harder. If I was in the top 100 players I would be surprised. I can deal with many mobs one to one, the orange pit dragon in the Rise is no problem, but angry crowds are just too much and probably always will be. Like the lich room in the Rise - I could knock off the mage boss if only the skels didn't keep on spawning. As others have said - archers are powerful - against single targets. Not so hot against a crowd.
    I only hope that whatever "fix" @Chris devises, it doesn't hurt the middle order too much.

FBohler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.