Air Shield users

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Barugon, Dec 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krovakin

Krovakin Avatar

The issue Violet is if you use berserker stance you have a high chance to fizzle.... so ya put it on the hot bar sure but if you get it removed and you need to cast it again you need to stack it..... which means you cant fight for a few secs.... with the new reduction to it if you don't stack it is useless.... you would be out of mana in a few hits... then the #2 problem with that is if you fizzle you just lost 300+ focus and need to cast it again for another 300 + focus back to back, so if you only have 600-1000 focus like most archers you are now out of mana or close to it. Since they upped the focus cost of all archery skills archers use focus a lot more now..... and if they reduced SOA to 0.4 that would be fine and still doable.... but the fact that everything it targeting SOA and no other shield in the game is one big problem we have with this and also that it cost WAY more to cast then any other shield in the game.

The main take away here is that it's unfair. That it is the ONLY shield that can be debuffed..... and now cost 200 % or more focus to cast then any other shield. I you are a mage then yes 100% you wont see the issue here because you don't fizzle and you have a ton of focus.... just like the last 2 BIG changes this one again only hurts Archers (and maybe some melee that use SOA) but again does not hurt mages just like last patch. This is not including the changes to bandity soon and possible the tactics tree (rumour). I have had to make HUGE changes to my toon in the last 2 months and now if SOA stays like it is in QA I will be making the biggest change yet out of leather all together. Tested it on QA tonight and its workable but that means bye bye leather.

I said it the last patch and the patch before that..... give archers a break for one patch cycle please..... the amount of cotos I've spent to fix my toon from all the changes is ridiculous. Just my opinion.... I get everyone has one but the sad part is 90% of the people talking about how the QA changes are great are not archers. I'm not saying don't change anything archer again.... just give us a small break to keep a spec for longer then a few weeks. Cheers.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

It's just a bad change.

FBohler likes this.
  3. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Alright, this one here is for anyone who might not have thought about it before, as I understand this can be a factor for many :

You are not locked in with Berserkers stance, you can remove it! You know what I would do if my air shield gets removed? Change decks, cast defensive stance, cast a 1 stack air shield, 5 stack dodge, Parry, Evasion and whatever other buff again, 6 stack my air shield, switch back. While I would do this, I would make sure to find terrain to use as cover or simply an obstacle between me and my target to get hit as least as possible.

Now I used defensive stance there to remove the fizzle chance debuff, as well as make me technically tankier while I was going to buff back up. I also cast a single stack of Air shield because it is better than nothing, and then I cast the defensive buffs to give air shield time to get off cooldown a bit and refresh my defenses.

Is this going to make you survive more? I truly don't know, I'm not an archer yet, I will see how it is when I start training ranged up but I am not there yet. Will this make the fight longer? Sure, but at least you are surviving (I think).

And obviously it depends on the mobs Torpid cool down, if they TT too often that would for sure need to be slowed down, and if root can do it it should be 100% resisted for a duration because there are things that root pretty often.

Now I play a Bard with Air Shield, I do not use a pet, only me, my songs, Torpid Torment and a 0.8 Air shield using Light armor spec, my air shield can drop and I manage usually fine, and when I die because I didn't refresh it every 6 minutes, I just remind myself to watch my air shield buffs duration. I don't know how bad it is for archers though, so maybe it is really bad now!

4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

There's simply no amount of justification that will make this change sit well with me.

FBohler likes this.
  5. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

Recast buffs is challenging?
    Wow, I think we have way different standards.

6. Krovakin

Krovakin Avatar

Violet, without SOA archers get 1 shot .... 2-3 shot if they are lucky, you don't have time to switch stances ect ect. If a melee mob is chasing you sure but if an archer and a mage is on you you're done. By the time you switched decks and started to cast SOA the archers and mages 2nd hits would land and you're dead.

Vesper say what you will but I made a chain deck on QA to test it and chain can take WAY more hits then leather. This is the whole point, once SOA gets dispelled a leather wearer will die in 1 or 2 hits even with crazy high dodge. I fought the exact same mobs in my chain set without SOA and was able to take 5-7 hits, so I would hardly call that ripped apart compared to leather. This is the whole point, once SOA is gone a leather archer is dead and there is no amount of dodge that can keep a leather wearer alive with the amount of damage mobs do now (Around tier 10 + ). I said it before and I will say it for the 100th time.... I dont care if SOA goes down again in transfer rate that fine, but being the only shield to be dispelled in the game and the cast cost is overkill, and leather armour is not much better then cloth, when it should be between cloth and chain which its not.

FBohler likes this.
  7. Joe Zhudarak

Joe Zhudarak Avatar

fizzle for archers was buffed 2 months ago, since they reduced 50% fizzle for bows and crossbows i see archers pvpers blinking and casting torpid torment.. deltalok have no issue in blink away /recast air shield superfast..

Survavibilitty for archers in pvp was greatly increased, and its way more fun play this way with less dps power but more tools to survive.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  8. Vesper

Vesper Avatar

Range of both torpid and root is 18m? 20m? Is that roughly half your range with a crossbow?
    Why is your air shield getting knocked off?
    Are you wearing a brittle brawn ring? Why?
    Are you in defensive stance? Why not?
    Does a spider belt lessen the chance of root ripping down air shield? Test it.
    Have you considered both locked berserker and defensive?
    Sounds to me like you're testing wether or not you can still facetank, when it seems clear the intent is that the highest DPS build in the game shouldn't be able to without consequence.

9. mystarr

mystarr Avatar

I've seen several references in this thread to how hard the shadow mobs hit without shield of air. I hopped on QA last night to try this change out and none of the shadow mobs I fought removed my SoA. Granted I only did like 4 fights, but am I missing something?

Sorgin Txakal likes this.
  10. Krovakin

Krovakin Avatar

they don't remove the shield (for now) ..... the point was archers without a SOA trying to fight there.

FBohler likes this.
  11. mystarr

mystarr Avatar

If they don't remove SoA, why wouldn't an archer just continue to use SoA when they fight there? Yes those shadow mobs hit like trucks and a light armor wearer would have trouble against them without SoA, but you can still use SoA against them so its a problem that doesnt exist.
    Id be more curious to see if an archer can still fight daemons and lich bosses.

Sorgin Txakal likes this.
  12. mystarr

mystarr Avatar

Another point worth considering, some mobs might require you to adjust your build to defeat them.

I want to be an air mage. Unfortunately, even with 385 air attunement and my specialized lightning lowering the resistance of my enemies by another 60, my best lightning hit on those shadow mobs is around 40 points of damage.... (For the record, I think the number of mobs in this game that must have 500+ lightning resist is ISANE and sucks.) What do I do? I pull out a mace and smash the shadow beasts to death. Since this isn't a class based game I can "switch" from being a light armor air mage to a heavy armor melee in a matter of seconds...

For your character it isn't a choice between only being a leather wearing SOA archer OR a heavy armor archer... You can be both and change your tactics/gear depending on the situation and/or opponent you find yourself trying to defeat.

Virsago2099 and Vesper like this.
  13. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

So you aren't even testing in the wild? How do you know how bad the change is if you aren't even testing it, you aren't testing fighting those mobs that have torpid, you are testing your survivability without Shield of Air which should barely happen?

14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I was perfectly fine with @Chris completely removing the dex component from Shield of Air but having mobs able to completely strip me of my primary defense is not cool.

FBohler and FrostII like this.
  15. Krovakin

Krovakin Avatar

This was with me trying to make an archery build that does not need SOA ..... doesn't matter they can change what they want now I found a work around.

FBohler likes this.
  16. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

Wait, when did we change subject to Fire Mages?

ballagh likes this.
  17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

What is that?

FBohler and FrostII like this.
  18. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

I'm curious too. My 0.6 FTR will go past 1.0 most probably.

19. Tsumo2

Tsumo2 Avatar

been an air mage since the beginning. It's a very tough road for a good while. At a high level now - one truth - when my shield goes down, it means I am going to die.

King Robert and FBohler like this.
  20. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

Judging by the reactions from people testing it in the QA server, you'll be dead way before your Air Shield goes down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.