Wishlist: Make Legacy Artifact Tooltip Text Red

Discussion in 'Player Test Environment (QA Server) Feedback' started by Coswald_Dirthmire, Apr 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coswald_Dirthmire

Coswald_Dirthmire Bug Hunter

I think changing the tooltip info describing the new legacy artifact system to bright red might save a lot of confusion. In my opinion it wouldn't be bad if the new and old artifacts had different item name colors as well, as I think a lot of folks might be scratching their heads come release.

FrostII likes this.
  2. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

3. Coswald_Dirthmire

So, soon all crafted gear will automatically have super high durability, and rolling an exceptional on a piece of crafted gear or on an artifact combine won't give extra durability, it will (apparently) add to the durability multiplier or add durability effectiveness or some similar stat.

To get this new system working, all the artifacts currently in the game will be considered Legacy versions. They cannot be combined directly with any NewSchoolArties you might find, but instead the legacy artifacts can be salvaged to make a low durability version of the new artifacts, the NSAs. There will be a 100% chance that salvaging a Legacy artifact will give a low durability version of a NewSchoolArty. These can then be combined with other NSAs to the next level, or they can be salvaged again for essences. (Or soon for a special gem or some other item imbued with the power of that artifact, that can be socketed into another item)

At least that's the plans for the arties going forward as I understand it. The system is only half implemented on QA atm, and no artifacts can be salvaged (Legacies or NSAs both give errors), and combining artifacts gives the new higher durability (e.g. a shocking 130 durability on an artifact ring) but rolling an exceptional still gives and additional +50 durability. That part is a bug or just not finished.

4. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Personally, I feel the information provided in the current description, is more than enough information. And thank you for adding that.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
  5. Coswald_Dirthmire

I think the description info is great, I just think some folks are going to overlook it and be confused. I'd love the good description to somehow call attention to itself.

It's also simple enough to tell an unworked new artifact from an old one, just looking at the durability, but once the durability is taken down by masterworks and enchants there's nothing to easily differentiate them. The old arties are going to be in the system for ages; in chests, on vendors, even in use for months or years.

And thanks for getting the screenshot!

Past Blue Ribbon likes this.
  6. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Not sure if I can do red text, but perhaps putting "Legacy" in the beginning of all their names? Perhaps that'll help drive the point home.

Coswald_Dirthmire and Anpu like this.
  7. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Wait, so old artifacts will retain their current stats/effects and just get a Legacy tag? That seems a bit weird. I would have thought anything that wasn't masterworked or enchanted would just update to the new stats. Presumably there was some sort of "under the hood" issue that made that not viable?

8. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

If we gave the additional baked in durability to existing artifacts or crafted items that had previously been +50 durability exceptionals, it would give them ANOTHER 50 or so durability on top of that. So yes, all gear items have new versions that feature the new baked in dura changes, and old versions retain their current stats. If someone wants to use an old version artifact in an upgrade recipe now (which only accept the new versions going forward), you first salvage it to receive a low dura version of the new artifact so it can be placed into an upgrade recipe, per the tooltip instructions.

So every loot table, every recipe with gear as input and/or output items feature the new versions.

But yes, adding the Legacy tag will not affect the stats of the item, just the display name. Not entirely sure it's necessary, but I can get this done soon if the tooltip will not suffice based on feedback. Color change might be easier, dunno yet.

9. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Ah, okay. That makes sense. I figured there was a reason, just wasn't seeing it.

Elgarion likes this.
  10. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I'm sure I must have missed past discussions on this new "Legendary" artifacts somewhere, but could someone explain the "rationale" behind this artifact change to me - please ?
    @Elgarion @Anpu et al

11. Coswald_Dirthmire

Elgarion spoke about it on today's dev stream, but the gist is that the current artifacts will become legacy versions (not "legendary"), to prevent tech problems in implementing the new higher durability versions

Elgarion, Anpu and FrostII like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.