Watering Changes

Discussion in 'Player Test Environment (QA Server) Feedback' started by Lained, Apr 23, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lained

Lained Avatar

So I just planted a few hundred seeds and watered them purposely missing some to test the new feature and the indicator is slow and sporadic at best, at worst it only seems to add smoke to a single planting bed. As a means of highlighting it's not fit for purpose. It really needs to be instant and highlight the individual plant rather than the bed. In my usage when some patches are missed it's usually one or two and I can identify by mousing over the usual suspects. To be super useful I'd reuse the mouse over highlighting indicator like so:

[​IMG]

Alternatively if this technique is resource intensive just expand the watered soil to fill the entire patch, though not as obvious it would be quicker to identify unwatered patches (even for plants like cotton, roses bushes etc) than mousing over each suspect plant.

Also the 10% bucket usage hasn't been reverted in 1174.

2. Coswald_Dirthmire

Coswald_Dirthmire Bug Hunter

The hotkey needs to be pressed continuously to light up multiple planters, it's working for me but it does take considerable time to propagate. I've not tested it on 1174 and there's an even newer build going in today, Chris said he's speed up the propagation.

Water patches that filled up more of the plan square would be great! Really hard to see it under some plants.

Latest word (as of today's stream) is that the 10% chance to consume is the desired behavior, and isn't going to be reverted

Elgarion likes this.
  3. Lained

Lained Avatar

I was pressing the key repeatedly but I'll try holding it down and give the new patch a go.

Edit: Holding the key down seems to work.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    Elgarion and Coswald_Dirthmire like this.
  4. Lained

Lained Avatar

Previously using the buckets as a count I could instantly see when I'd missed some patches and could hover over plants in a few seconds to find them. At a guess I'd missed maybe one in ten so a few seconds lost isn't so bad (though that mounts up with a large farm) but with this new change I've no idea if I have which leads to forcing the use the new smoke signal after every watering and it doesn't tell me which patch so I still have to hover to find the offending one. Also it doesn't seem to highlight in any particular order (should be the nearest first?) so having a large number of pots/beds is going to waste even more time.

Of course I could forget about unwatered patches but I'd need a patch to fix the completionist and OCD in my brain. To be honest this feels like the change to stacking beds that caused its own issues all over again.

5. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

you don't have to find the individual missed spot, you can batch water the whole bed

StarLord, that_shawn_guy and Anpu like this.
  6. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

...assuming your batch size is large enough

7. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

true, but even twice is better than searching for a missing spot, depending on the plant artwork

8. Lained

Lained Avatar

I have my watering skill up at 124 and that doesn't cover an entire bed, also when I miss it's more often two than one and then on two different beds. The idea that I have to water an entire crop twice to to get full coverage from a fix aimed at reducing botting is laughable.
    It's really not and that's assuming you don't miss in the exact same way again.

9. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

The watering radius could probably be adjusted larger. Even at 100 it should provide some good coverage (in comparison to a level 1). I have my watering at 100, and that still seems too small.

10. Lained

Lained Avatar

At 124 I can water the above bed configuration in two goes.

11. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

i still feel like the better solution here is to outline watered plants in something like blue or any highlight really as the watering circle passes over it. might be as simple as adding a highlight to a plant based on if the watered soil effect is on the plant or not. no need to highlight them all i think because as we are watering we will be able to easily see and wont miss any the first time around. if something is missed we can use the watering area circle as a searchlight to easily find which ones are not watered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.