1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Download speeds that don't take days or weeks.

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Kathus, Apr 30, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathus

Kathus Avatar

Title says it all. Current patch is over 6 days to DL.

2. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

Steam or Standalone Launcher?

3. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Isn't that something you should check with your ISP? A full download of the game for me is under 30 minutes usually (and I had to do it about 5 times last release, twice because of the build failures, and 3 times because I was trying to fix an issue I had with the game).

Archer and Net like this.
  4. Kathus

Kathus Avatar

Stand alone. Tried DLing a torrent thing. It wasn't any better.

5. Kathus

Kathus Avatar

It's 10 pm now. Been downloading this new patch since.. 4? 1381 is the number on it. Only 68% more to go.

6. that_shawn_guy

Some ISP block/throttle torrent traffic.

The simplest think might be switching to Steam. You can login as normal from the Steam version and not tie your SOTA account to steam.

If you'd rather stay with the stand alone launcher, you can try a VPN services to get past anything your ISP may be doing.

Anpu, Net and Echondas like this.
  7. Kathus

Kathus Avatar

But there's no direct link to DL the patch via VPN?

8. that_shawn_guy

When you connect to the VPN service (ProtonVPN, NordVPN, ExpressVPN, or 100s of others) you can then use the stand alone launcher. The traffic will be tunneled over the VPN service and your local ISP can't see that it is torrent traffic. So, it wont block/throttle it.

It's more complicated than using Steam and costs a little more. But, has the advantage of being a generic way to work around an ISP that does silly things.

Anpu and Net like this.
  9. Kathus

Kathus Avatar

I'm going to be honest. Unless it's free and can be setup in 5, maybe 10 mins, it's not happening. I'll just go play something else.

Dawgs of War and that_shawn_guy like this.
  10. Ravalox

Ravalox Chief Cook and Bottle Washer Moderator SOTA Developer

With Net Neutrality destroyed, the ISPs have the ability to pick and choose who get to use what bandwidth for what purposes. Torrent has a bad name due to the early years when it was mainly used to D/L music and movies etc. Comcast and Time Warner both have been known to outright block torrent patching in certain regions, and slow it down in others.

@Kathus, what bandwidth does your ISP service provide on download? and who is the ISP?

11. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings Kathus
    It would be helpful to know if it is internet problem, Internet provider, or your computer. I would run a speed test (www.speedtest.net), or use a VPN (The good one charge a little per month but don't limit your downloads or track you connections), or check you task manager to see if your computer is maxing out the processors. Let us know what you find and we can help more.

12. Katu

Katu Avatar

Steam patch was 578mb, it took 9m32s to complete. I bet you have problems with other games also with a dialup speeds.

13. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

There has to be a problem with your download speed. It took just a very few minutes for me and I'm stand alone in the U.S. on a cable modem. My game is on an SSD and I have 32 gb of ram. Not sure what affects anything though. Sorry you are having problems. I hope you can figure out what the download speed blocker is for you. :)

Kathus and Net like this.
  14. Kathus

Kathus Avatar

Not sure if they do, I don't run torrents or VPN normally. ISP is Spectrum, which was TWC. Typical speeds on a speed test are about 30/10. No other ISPs are available here FYI.

Just tested it on speedtest.net. DL is a bit higher than normal, but within the norm. They tend to test higher than others regardless. Ping is normal. High 20's to high 30's on the norm.

PING ms
    DOWNLOAD Mbps
    UPLOAD Mbps

It's not a net speed issue on other games, it's just limited to this game. I can run this game solo and the speeds don't go up. The same with watching youtube or whatever after the speed has topped out, no change. It's 500k or less typically, on a very rare occasion I'll get 1,500k but it won't hold. Once the game is up, it's not really much of an issue, It's just patches that it hates.

Last edited: May 1, 2021
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.