Release 89

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Barugon, Apr 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Another patch coming around lunch time. Monsters will cast torpid torment far less often, shield of air focus cost reduced significantly (since it must now be recast more often), belt MW fixes, several other important changes.

http://twitter.com/catnipgames/status/1388099596300259331

Time Lord and FrostII like this.
  2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Once is too many.

Time Lord, Cordelayne and FBohler like this.
  3. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

I dropped air spec a couple weeks ago, so I can't speak much to the current state of the spec itself and how it has been effected.

I imagine it is still a relatively powerful spec, and it seems to me that SoA is still the strongest shield for fighting unicorns, nightmares, wyverns, dragons, clockwork creatures, kobolds, and trolls.

Part of the unfortunate task of making some of the unappealing specs more appealing is making some of the most appealing specs a little less appealing.

I un specced from Air and Tactics, unlearned all taming and ranged and am now specced in blades and moon and am forcing myself to use the shard of night despite its dual edge. This experience makes me realize just how easy I had it when my sole answer for everything was just shoot it with arrows from a distance.

Part of the problem is the game is pitched as having a classless system, which I interpret to mean that you can easily swap between many different play styles to overcome different challenges. Under that interpretation, having a very narrow focus of a single build should have some hard walls it runs into.

I agree that the introduction of specs have confused the idea of a classless system, and some players, including myself, tend to like the idea of having a specific class with a specific role while in a party - so Catnip might just embrace the idea of a flexible class system, re-looking at the limit of specs a player can maintain, or maybe some trade off concepts like 1 Combat Spec, 1 Magic Spec, and 1 Strategy Spec or 2 from the same group.

Then the goal becomes balancing each skill tree just within its own grouping, and not against every other skill tree.

4. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

5. zavb9lov

zavb9lov Avatar

torpid torment should remove the air shield? or just roots? I often came across that it is torpid torment that removes the air shield, and even before the patch. I thought so. But now that mages are constantly casting torpid torment, it's unbearable.

Time Lord and Chatele like this.
  6. Powersurge

Powersurge Avatar

My issue isnt even the nerf to the attunement or the nerf to the air shield...it is my inability to stun anything of note....I never have been able to stun demons or trolls..and i was fine with that..now i cannot stun dragons either...so why on earth would I even be an air mage if i cannot stun anything. I will just make a fire mage i guess...I wasnt even doing the archer thing...i was doing the pure air mage thing...and my spec is completely useless unless the hardest thing i want to kill is a kobold...I cannot believe they went this far to nerf the air mage...there wasnt even that many of us...I guess the archers did it...but i wasnt playing an archer...yeah I'm done...

Time Lord, Chatele, FrostII and 2 others like this.
  7. Coswald_Dirthmire

Coswald_Dirthmire Bug Hunter

We have to keep in mind that this 6+ hours, to use your calculation, is just for the ancient essences required to combine artifacts. But remember the other effect of increased drop rates; it takes far, far less time to grind out the artifacts you will be combining. Most drops still also occur on occasion as uncommon, and some even as rares. To combine from all uncommons to an epic is 30 essences, and each lucky drop of an artifact as a rare saves you a total of 6 essences off the total combine cost.

In the end I think of it this way. When it all shakes out an average epic might take 30-50 essences to craft, depending the level of drops you get. It will also take the equivalent of 128 common artifacts to make the epic itself, so call that a total of maybe 165 commons worth of an artifact to make an epic, on average, give or take.

It takes far, far less time to farm 165 commons worth of an artifact now than it took to grind 128 commons worth out a month and a half ago. The epics are, almost universally, faster and easier to make now than they were before.

This is reflected in the market, too. Take the admittedly extreme example of a Ringmaster Ring. A month and a half ago I was posting Ringmaster Rings at 68k each, and many of them were being bought by resellers who were making a profit from them. That's 8,700,000gp per epic ring.

We will say it takes 150k worth of coal and essences to make this ring now, which is your calculation. Because Ringmaster Rings drop in such abundance these days, I see them listed in trade chat now for under 30k, but we will use the 30k value. That's 3,840,000 per epic, + 150k for essences/coal = 3,990,000gp per epic. A heck of a savings.

I upgraded my lich ring today, an artifact that used to go for about 60k per uncommon, but which is now about 10k per common. So each uncommon costs me 40k +2k + 0.6k = 42,600gp rather than 60,000gp. Overall I feel like we're really coming out ahead.

8. Vesper

Vesper Avatar

Dragons were 80% resistant to stuns right up until a year and a half ago, a bug removed their resistance. The bug has been fixed.

Margaritte, necronut and Elgarion like this.
  9. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

So probably the bugged version of the game was better than the intended one for some people lol

10. Vesper

Vesper Avatar

You can evade every single dragon attack. There's no need to get hit, or stun them.

11. Dinsoo

Dinsoo Avatar

Nerfland still in effect. That's too bad. I'm sure they have a reason for doing it.

Time Lord, FBohler and Cordelayne like this.
  12. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

One more "let me teach you how to play the game" comment to the list.
    No, thanks, I didn't ask for advice, I just want a predictable and fun game to play.

Chatele likes this.
  13. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

He isn't telling you how to play, he is telling you there are some predictable and fun mechanics that allow you to avoid damage from the dragon.

14. Powersurge

Powersurge Avatar

Regardless, if I can only stun normal mobs.. if that is the limit of my air magic, then there is no reason to play as a pure air mage. I can just play a fire mage...they seem to want to force people that direction anyway. I will play my other toons and just shelf him.

FBohler likes this.
  15. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Yeah, I'm not a fan of all the nerfs, but that does seem a bit "mehhh now I can't face tank dragons in light armor" complaint. I was able to fight "regular" dragons just fine twenty levels ago with ranged/light armor specs, they're not that hard (other than just lasting long enough, and being able to deal with the occasional big hit when you mess up) if you know the tells.

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Powersurge

Powersurge Avatar

well think what you want...but the air spec wasnt a damage spec to begin with...without the stun its not worth playing...i can do alot more damage with other trees...

King Robert and FBohler like this.
  17. necronut

necronut Avatar

I just got an Azeron and my same old same old fire decks aren't cutting the mustard in Spindel anymore. I can't drink potions and mitigate the focus drain fast enough to be able to Solo.

I have to learn a new way to play, and I have to adapt to a new build.

And all of this news excites me. I love a challenge. Great release!

18. Powersurge

Powersurge Avatar

I was barely playing anyway...this is just a good excuse for me to move on.

FBohler and Dinsoo like this.
  19. Dinsoo

Dinsoo Avatar

You wouldn't be the first, unfortunately. Nerfing is the game. It's aggravating.

Chatele and FBohler like this.
  20. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

There always has been a lot of support for balancing the game in these forums.

Until it affects a favorite build, that is.

It's about time they made this change. After so much mage talk about the uberness of air shield, at last we see the power of earth magic to counter it.

Last edited: May 1, 2021
    Time Lord, necronut and Margaritte like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.