Release 89

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Barugon, Apr 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

The air changes are significant - and the air tree was not the major tree for mages before. Perhaps the ‘balance’ will be pushed back into air’s favor.

Having air shield come down is a new dynamic - but one that is at least interesting. Maybe stun from air - which is useless in PvP - could at least cause a player to have their weapon dropped (read/ taken out of combat) to make stun effective. Air shield is no longer strong / even with billions of xp on air shield, embrace and specialization - and perfect gear. That seems a little overly nerfed. But I have been wrong before

Time Lord, FBohler, FrostII and 2 others like this.
  2. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

My guess is once we start getting those gems from artifacts and merge them with crafted gear things will start looking good again...

3. Margaritte

Margaritte Avatar

That's a refreshing and healthy perspective, Elrond. This is the balancing groundwork we need to get out of the way before all the new exciting things with gear can happen, maybe. I'm excited about the balance and looking forward to the future. These last few releases have made the game feel more rewarding and generally fun to play, and I can't wait for more of the same!

I can understand why some feel out of sorts, though. All the attunement/fizzle changes from the new artifacts along with the hovering mob changes, the air shield changes, and the great nerfing of Mistrendur mob XP across the board all happening at once is a lot to take in.

Last edited: May 1, 2021
  4. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

This! Me and Coswald have been saying the same thing, they are balancing things a lot right now, and for many this is hurting them a lot, I know many fire mages have taken a 20% fizzle chance increase, a loss of 40+ Attunement. People who use Air shield have seen it being nerfed a lot, which I feel like is now in a decent spot (although we could use a source of focus recovery or 2 extra), but much of the lost powers seems to be planned to come back through the options of sockets, meanwhile Crafted Gear is starting to show signs of taking over now that loot has been made much better and much more rewarding (I was watching a brand new player filtering through his recently acquired artifacts and placing them on a public vendor (hint: sun) and hw had quite a few!).

So yeah, I'm eager for the next few months, meanwhile I'll continue to provide feedback through the correct channels for the changes that I can provide feedback on, but am very happy of the direction things are going and can't wait to see what our crafters will be able to do soon!

5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I'll probably get flames and ridicule for this, but I really need to express my disappointment. For the past few months, I feel like I have been singled out and targeted for playing an archer and selecting skills that support support archery. Until now, I have been able to shrug off the nerfs, but having mobs able to simply remove my air shield is, to me, the worst change in the history of Shroud of the Avatar. So many other changes could have been done to address the abuse....

I really loved this game. I have played many MMOs, but I have only ever felt at home in this one. I'm so sad.

6. Brent S

Brent S Avatar

crosses fingers. Could be interesting to see a water sword or an earthquake hammer or bow of the wind.

Time Lord and Sorgin Txakal like this.
  7. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

I wouldn't recommend taking a game balance decision as a personal attack. As Atos said, I am paraphrasing, some of the additions over the years just kept compiling and compiling to the point where players reached a level of power they were never meant to. If you watch any of Revenant's videos, you'll see how these power creep features can be taken to extremes.

I know not everyone is a power gamer, and I generally don't like the "get gud" arguments because a true sandbox MMO should be engaging, enjoyable and appealing to people of all play styles and commitment levels. There is a serious problem for an MMO though, when it becomes too easy. I know a couple of players who have left because there is no challenge for them in the game at all, they can solo everything except The Breach and get frustrated because their dps is so high they make other party members feel useless - so people don't like grouping with them.

The goal of an MMO should be that the highest reward is overcoming difficulties, that are impossible to solo, in a group - but this isn't to say that there shouldn't be ample, worthwhile and enjoyable solo challenges as well; but I feel there is already an excess of those.

I just remember what happened to Star Wars: Galaxies when SOE took away all the challenges and made absolutely everything in game accessible to solo players - it killed the game completely. I would prefer it if Catnip learns from the mistakes of companies that failed to make long lasting MMOs, even if it means making decisions that I don't always agree with and impacts my game play directly.

8. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

For the love of the gods, please let us salvage a component from the shard of night that just effects lunar light hours (and does not destroy sun attunement). I would love to use a lunar light hours handle with a two handed sword (shadow blade) so I stop whiffing 85% of all melee attacks for a lunar light bonus :confused:

Time Lord, Brent S and Violet Ronso like this.
  9. Virsago2099

Virsago2099 Avatar

This has been my sentiment for a long time. The game is finally getting to a point where people have a reason to group. A reason to want tanks and healers. A reason to build dynamic groups to complete content. There is a ton of single player content already, but very little content that isn't trivialized by bringing a group. The people who are most upset currently, seem to be upset that they can no longer solo the higher end content. Which I can understand being upset, but these changes are, on the whole, good for the game.

10. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

I feel bad for those who have built their characters around SoA, spending millions igg on high DEX gear and pouring billions of XP on skills that got smacked down.
    I can only hope crafted gear get some useful properties to compensate that, but let's be honest, next balance cycle may nerf ranged even further (maybe air will get a pass to avoid too much backfire from the community).

11. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

All gear is getting scrapped anyway with the gear overhaul. I try not to cry over spilled milk, especially when the milk in question are artifacts that are dropping from the sky like rain.

Time Lord and Violet Ronso like this.
  12. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Mind telling us HERE what zones these arties are dropping like rain ?

Last edited: May 3, 2021
    Time Lord and Cordelayne like this.
  13. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@Vesper
    Mind sharing WHERE the "game rains artifacts now" ?
    IE what zones/mobs are raining artifacts ?

Time Lord and Cordelayne like this.
  14. Vesper

Vesper Avatar

Everywhere, except dragons, branch out

15. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Very helpful, Vesper - thx.
    Since you said the game "rains artifacts" I thought you might want to share some of these locations with the rest of us.
    Or, perhaps you were just passing on hearsay .........

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Margaritte

Margaritte Avatar

It really IS raining artifacts. I can run through the Rise Library and get several ankhs or Sage's Sashes. I can run through the Fall Throne Room and get a zillion Anapa favors and lich rings. I can tear through some elementals or golems in any random scene and get a ton of rings. Wanna do zombies? Tartarus is dropping belts like crazy. Pretty much anywhere is dropping artifacts off even the lowest level creatures. People talk in Universe chat about how they got arties in the freaking OUTSKIRTS. Go explore and get excited every time that little artifact loot light goes whoosh around you!

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  17. Vesper

Vesper Avatar

It's not a secret, everybody knows. Read the patch notes

18. Margaritte

Margaritte Avatar

Here, lookit, @FrostII. I started a new box for artifacts so the legacy stuff wouldn't get mixed in with the new artifacts and complicate salvaging. The patch dropped less than a week ago, and there's already over 100 artifacts in there. I think that's what raining artifacts means. If you look at the patch notes for R88, there's a pretty comprehensive list of what's dropping where.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2021
    Time Lord, Anpu, Cordelayne and 4 others like this.
  19. necronut

necronut Avatar

Here... patch notes:

• Increased gem fragment drops on Envy Angel’s wisps, and add a slight chance for the Savage Sash of Swiftness to drop from them, and a larger chance for the common version of the Ring of the Deep Woods to drop.
    • The Common Pirate Tricorn Hat of the Cap’n now has a much improved drop rate on the pirate captain in Tartarus, with a small chance to drop an uncommon or rare instead.
    • Increased drop rates for the Envy Bow on Envy Angel. Also, she now has a much better chance to drop a common quiver, with a small chance for it to be an uncommon or rare version.
    • Added the Common Ring of the Frogkin as an additional reward for completing the repeatable Ecology Researcher quest.
    • Added Common Ring of Life as an additional reward to Hyun’s daily in Necropolis Barrens.
    • Added the Common Ring of Cat’s Grace to the daily quest in Ardoris (5 Paintings) with Caravaggios Wolf as an additional reward.
    • Added the following Common version artifacts to the 4 dailies in Lord British’s Castle: Ring of Jones, Belt of the Brutal Butcher, Belt of the Patient Harvester, and Ring of Chrysopoeia.
    • Added Common Necklace of Civility as an additional reward for completing the repeatable Pilgrim Untimely Demise quest.
    • Added Common Ring of Death to as an additional reward to the Arch Lapin Bones daily quest.
    • Added Common Belt of the Ox as an additional reward to the Tanglemire Missing Bones daily.
    • Added Common Ring of Water to water and ice elemental loot tables, with increased drop chances for higher tier mobs.
    • Common Daemon Trident has been added to Daemon loot tables. They now have a much larger chance to drop the common version of the trident, though an uncommon or rare version could drop instead at a much lower rate.
    • Common version of the Shield of the Wicked King has been added to all Cabalist loot tables, with a significant chance to drop.
    • Added Common Shard of Night as a slight drop chance in the 9 hidden chests in Hilt Fortress. Also added a common version of this artifact as an additional daily reward to Skarde’s runestone daily in Spindelskog.
    • Added Common Ancient Two-Handed Sword to loot tables of Kobold fighters, with higher tiers having improved drop rates.
    • The Spider Queen in Spectral Peaks now has a greatly increased chance to drop a Staff of Xen, with a Common, Uncommon, or Rare version being possible.
    • Added Common Two-Handed Mace of Unsummoning to Satyr fighter loot tables, will increasing chances with higher tiers. Also added this common version of the artifact to the “Repair the Spirit Wheel” daily in Tanglemire as an additional reward.
    • Added Common Crossbow of Accuracy to Kaiser’s dragon tooth daily in Ulfheim as an additional reward.
    • Added Common Shield of Attraction to loot tables of non-pirate skeleton warriors, with higher tiers having increased chances to drop. Also added this common artifact to daily rewards for turning in the siege encounter Arcane Catalysts daily.
    • Added Common Vexlyn’s Ember of Conflagaration as an additional rare drop amongst Cabalist loot.
    • Added Common Thunder Branch to Air Elemental loot tables, with higher tiers receiving increased chances.
    • Added chance for Common Wand of Undying Embers to drop from Xavara and T15 Fire Elementals.
    • Added Common Wand of Static Discharge to pirate caster loot tables, with higher tier receiving increased chances.
    • Added Common Sword of Speed to Ebon Dawn melee loot, with higher tiers having increased chances. Also, the repeatable Bounty quest available in roaming encounters now offers a common version of this artifact as an additional reward.
    • Added Common Cutlass of the Swashbuckler to higher tier melee pirates loot tables, with the higher tiers having improved chances. Also, the Broochash criminal-requested shakedown daily quest now provides the common cutlass as a daily reward.
    • Added Common Thimble of Evelyn to Elven Archer loot tables, with higher tiers having a greater chance. Also added this ring to the daily rewards for the Sven the Hunter/Animal Hide daily in Highvale Outskirts.
    • Added Common Ring of Sun to Phoenix loot tables to drop at a significant rate. Also, a Phoenix will now always drop 1-2 talons. Also, the drop rates for the Ankh of Wala on the Phoenix have been increased, and a small chance to receive an uncommon and rare instead have been added.
    • Added Common Maple Band to plant creature loot tables (primarily PvP zone creatures). Also added this ring to Reaper loot tables at a smaller chance. Also, 1 of these rings can be obtained daily by completing a daily quest in Yew where Pendro wants a Boundless Forest Rune Bag.
    • Added Common Pax Ring as a reward for the Tenebris Harbor Troll Toenail daily quest.
    • Added Common Ring of the Mouse to all Faun loot tables, with higher tiers having an increased chanced. Also, the daily quest in Ardoris (5 Paintings) with Stephanie Broadmeadow will award a Common Ring of the Mouse each day.
    • Increased drop rate of Common Ring of the Obsidian on tier 15 fire elemental bosses, now also with lesser chances for an uncommon or rare instead. Also, added a slight drop chance for this ring amongst the 9 hidden chests throughout Hilt Fortress.
    • Added Common Ring of the Moon to Shadow animal loot tables. Also added this ring to the daily rewards in Elder Bodil’s quest in Tanglemire which takes players to Spindelskog.
    • Added Common Ring of Life to Destructible Crate loot tables, and added one as an additional reward to Esmerelda’s tea leaf daily in Highvale Outskirts.
    • Common Ring of the Lich Kind added to loot tables for Lich casters, higher tiers having better chances. Most lich boss casters have a good chance for a common, with a slight chance for an uncommon. Corrected display names for the upgrade recipes for this ring.
    • Common Ring of the Gambler added to loot tables for all tiers of melee pirates with increased drop rates on higher tiers.
    • Common Ring of Frogkin added to loot tables for all tiers of fungus creatures with increased drop rates on higher tiers. Green ones have a slightly elevated chance. The high tier ones in PvP zones have the best chance.
    • Common Ring of Fire added to loot tables for all tiers of Fire Elementals and Xavara with increased drop rates on higher tiers.
    • Common Ring of Earth added to loot tables for all tiers of Sand, Earth, and Lava Elementals with increased drop rates on higher tiers.
    • Common Ring of the Deep Woods added to loot tables for all tiers of Wisps.
    • Common Ring of Death added to loot tables for all tiers of Skeleton casters with increased drop rates on higher tiers.
    • Common Ring of the Cuttlekin added to loot tables for all tiers of Barrel Mimic with increased drop rates on higher tiers.
    • Common Ring of Jones added to loot tables for commoner corpses, barrels, and sacks.
    • Common Ring of Chrysopoeia added to loot tables of all tiers of Kobold Grenadier with increased drop rates on higher tiers.
    • Common Ring of Cat’s Grace added to loot tables for all tiers of Clockwork Cats with increased drop rates on higher tiers.
    • Common Ring of Brittle Brawn added to loot tables of all tiers of Obsidian Golems with increased drop rates on higher tiers. Also, additional Obsidian Chips now drop from Obsidian Golems.
    • Common Wayland’s Loop added to loot tables of all tiers of Kobold melee (non-brawlers) with increased drop rates on higher tiers.
    • Common Ring of Air added to loot tables of all tiers of air elementals with increased drop rates on higher tiers.
    • Common and Rare Lavalliere of the Lagomorph has been added to the Death Bunny Loot table. Each kill will always provide 1 version of the artifact, with a small perccent chance the version will be uncommon or rare.
    • Common Focus Battery Necklace added to ghost loot tables, with increased chances given to higher tier ghosts. Also, T5 and above ghosts will drop increasingly additional amounts of Corpse Wax. Also, T5 and above ghosts now have a small chance to drop an ancient essence.
    • Common Necklace of Civility now has a small chance to drop in destructible crates and guard corpses. Also, the Adventure Level Buff has been removed and replaced with +50, +100, +150, +200, +250 health and focus for Common through Epic.
    • Common Necklace of Common Precision added to loot tables of all tiers of pirate archers with increased drop rates on higher tiers.
    • Common Halberd of the Sun added to loot tables of all tiers of melee bandits (to include Red Sash), which are T5 and below. Any bandits using a Bandit Leader loot table receive a significantly higher chance to drop a the common as well.
    • Adventure scene mountain trolls can now drop Common versions of The Ring of an Unknown BMC Member at a significant rate, and the uncommon version will drop slightly more often.
    • Common and Uncommon Zombie Skin Belt drops more regularly from the high tier zombies such as the slow walking ones in Tartarus. Common Zombie Skin Belts now also have a slight chance to drop from all zombies. The Creepy Dolly now drops more regularly from zombie children.
    • Common Spider Silk Belt has 100% chance to drop from the Spider Queen in Spectral Peaks with small chances for an Uncommon or Rare. All other T15 spiders have a small chance to also drop the common Spider Silk Belt. Venom, Spider Silk, Eyes, Legs now have increased drop rates on high tier spiders.
    • Common Savage Sash of Swiftness added to low tier Wisp Loot tables to drop at slight chance. Increased chances for Savage Sash of Swiftness to drop from high tier Wisps in Tartarus.
    • Common Slipshod Shooter’s Sash added to loot tables of all tiers of Ebon Dawn Archers with increased drop rates on higher tiers.
    • Common Sage’s Sash added to loot tables of all tiers of Elven casters with increased drop rates on higher tiers.
    • Common Belt of the Patient Harvester added to loot tables of all tiers of Fauns with increased drop rates on higher tiers.
    • Common Belt of the Ox added to loot tables of all tiers of Kobold Brawler with increased drop rates on higher tiers.
    • Common Belt of the Brutal Butcher added to loot tables of all tiers of Barbarian Archers with increased drop rates on higher tiers.
    • Common Gauntlets of Lead added to loot tables of all tiers of Satyr Warriors with increased drop rates on higher tiers.
    • Common Supple Gloves of Riding added to loot tables of all tiers of Nightmares and Unicorns with increased drop rates on higher tiers.
    • Common Spurred Boots added to loot tables of all tiers of Nightmares and Unicorns with increased drop rates on higher tiers.
    • Common Ring of Wisdom added to loot tables of all tiers of Satyr casters with increased drop rates on higher tiers.
    • Ringmaster’s Vest removed from the single Lich Archer loot table it was available in, and added to the loot tables of all Destroyer animals at a larger drop rate.
    • Added all rod pieces for Staff of Death to all Lich caster loot tables, with varying chance based upon tier of Lich. Rod 1 was removed from Daemon loot tables. Rod pieces also drop from 3 varieties of supply bundles (Yellow, Blue, Orange), which have not been adjusted.
    • Glowing Belt Buckle and Strip of Thick Troll Skin removed from Reaper loot tables, added to all troll loot tables at various drops rates depending upon the tier of the troll.
    • Added all rod pieces for Staff of Anarchy to Daemon loot tables. Rod 1 was already available on T15 Daemons, which has received an increased drop rate in line with the other additions. Rod pieces also drop from 3 varieties of supply bundles (Yellow, Blue, Orange), which have not been adjusted.

Next time, you can find everything you're asking about right here at shroudoftheavatar.com
      Enjoy!

20. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Hilt Fortress drops fire artifacts up the wazoo
    The Tartarus zombie room rains them like crazy
    Sieges are a decent source
    The Rise drops a lot of sages sashes, ankhs and slipshod belts
    Tartarus drops a lot of bandit gear and wisdom rings
    Twin daemons drop tons of hearts of Vrul, with the occasional Trident, and some slipshod belts from the waves before them
    Destroyer pets drop a bunch of taming artifacts.

Those are the scenes I have been getting 10+ artifacts an hour (common and uncommon combined, so each uncommon could count as 4 arties). Hilt, tartarus and the Rise easily reach 20+ per hour.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.