1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Free Up Old Names

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Sammegarian, May 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sammegarian

Sammegarian Avatar

Is there any chance old names of Avatars that have not logged in for years (For example, since pre-persistence) could be freed up? Maybe guild names (For example Shinsengumi, a guild I founded in Pre-Alpha but gave leadership to the only other member, who hasn't logged in since Jan. 2016) too? I know there are some very basic names out there that can't be used, because someone used it for a short while years ago...

Wilfred and FBohler like this.
  2. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

I think the same for tax free lots in NPC towns. It's almost sad to walk through all those abandoned empty castles and houses.
    Maybe kick them if don't log in for 6 months?

Sarek and Alleine Dragonfyre like this.
  3. Lained

Lained Avatar

Even tax free deeds will be expire after a year if you don't login to the game and the lot will become available to claim.

4. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

My concern would be for players that are no longer able to play for financial, medical, or other reasons out of their control.

It would also be disconcerting (at least) to run across a character who's player was a close friend who had died.

Lily Byrd, Sarek, Lord Stein and 5 others like this.
  5. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

I didn't know that... but a full year sounds too long, even the six months I proposed is too long of an absence.

6. Sammegarian

Sammegarian Avatar

*Sigh* Wasn't my intention to steal a player's well thought out created name, but I kind of would have liked to have been "Masamune" like the ancient swordsmith which Final Fantasy and other games got the name "Masamune" from. Kind of like how "Elrond" is "Elrond" you know? Cause we all know he didn't make that name. ^_~

that_shawn_guy and Time Lord like this.
  7. Lained

Lained Avatar

It depends on the pledge tier of the account the deed belongs to.

Player Guide / Housing / Lot Expiration

StarLord, Wilfred, FBohler and 2 others like this.
  8. Coswald_Dirthmire

Coswald_Dirthmire Bug Hunter

Those number are accurate as far as I've ever been able to tell, but I think the interaction criterion has been lifted. It seems that just logging in is sufficient to refresh all the deeds, at least for the 120 day "regular" tax free versions, even without visiting the town they're placed in.

9. Vesper

Vesper Avatar

If you want your guild leadership back there's a chance they may do that for you if you buy a service ticket. As for clearing names, I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for that to ever happen

Net and FBohler like this.
  10. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I don't think the expiration date will make much difference. It likely will in a few cases, but a lot of those players will login once a month or six months or whatever to reset the expiration. You could maybe catch a few who login annually by changing the time from a year to six months, but then those players, even though they're not actually playing, have a pretty legitimate gripe if the thing they paid a lot of money for suddenly expires when it shouldn't have.

But I agree that it would be nice, there's a lot of spots in bigger towns that I'm sure have owners who haven't played in years.

11. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

As far as I know, you pay for the deed and not the spot. If you want to keep the lot, you just need to log in for 10 minutes every month. If you don't want to log in once every 3 months, then you don't value that lot either.
    That being said, giving right to stay away from the game to people that pay more money just doesn't make sense. Let's be honest, if someone didn't log in the last 3 months, they'll probably move on their lives and play something else.

Alleine Dragonfyre likes this.
  12. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

It made sense at the time to gather funding to make the game. It still makes sense as a promise.

Time Lord, Net, StarLord and 2 others like this.
  13. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

I came here to say that :) Not sure how to deal with it but parked houses in nice spots by avatars that don't actually play is and has been a problem for years. It's the reason why NPC towns are so dead tbh. The promise was the deed, not the claimed lot.

Sorgin Txakal and FBohler like this.
  14. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Just a simple, nope, totally against it. The names were fairly taken and should remain so. No one knows when folks come back.

15. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I don't have a personal opinion either way. But I do agree that there are some dead assets, like names, that others would be more than proud to use.

If a player has not cared enough to maintain lots and has not logged in for a couple years, them anything goes.

I might like coming back to a different name, but it is not like I expected this game to stand still for me.

16. Wilfred

Wilfred Avatar

You know, names are not exclusive in the real world. More than one person can have the same name, and some common names are shared by thousands of people.

It would be nice if multiple characters could claim the same name in SotA. But I can see how it could allow trolling by copying the name of someone popular. To make it work, every character would need to have a unique ID number that would show up in the logs, so players could differentiate between characters with the same name.

Alleine Dragonfyre likes this.
  17. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Now, if you're talking about freeing up names of deleted characters, that's different. I had an alt on a different account I never did much with, then eventually deleted. Later, I wanted to use the name again to create an alt using a second slot on my main account, and the game told me the name was taken.

18. Lained

Lained Avatar

Names are locked until you create a new avatar on the same account with a different name and then the old name is released.

19. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Catnip could, possibly, send out an email giving, I dunno, say a 1-month warning to log into the game and spend x amount of time playing for claimed lots in NPC towns. The whole login/logout in 30 seconds is not satisfactory. I don't understand, really why someone would even bother with parking a lot they have no intention of using.

Last edited: May 11, 2021
  20. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

For the same reason many spend their time browsing for any Shroud related news or reddit and tell everyone to simply uninstall or stuff like that.

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.