Old Favorite SotA Videos

Discussion in 'Player Livestreams & Videos' started by Datendrache, May 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Datendrache

Datendrache Avatar

I was just feeling nostalgic and decided to share a few of my old favorite Shroud of the Avatar videos in no particular order.

#1: "From Cradle to Grave"

This was one of my earliest attempts at making a video. Probably spent over a month trying to figure out how to do all the fancy tricks and being as nitpicky as I could get on timing. Although it only placed 3rd in the Contest, it still makes me feel completely pumped up watching it. To be fair, I had tough competition.

#2: "The Obsidian Assassin"

Getting a standing ovation at SotACon 2018 made this gem completely worth the effort. I got to meet a lot of really cool people while making this video! This was the start of a series of videos that chronicled the plot by the Obsidians to overthrow Lord British. For those that don't know, this was both a Dev Moderated Event and a Player Made Event, meaning that the story was being written as it went along in response to player actions like a tabletop gaming experience.

#3: "The Charge of the Dragons"

This is how Father-Daughter time should be -- 100% pure AWESOME! This is a first-hand video chronical of the "Shardfall Event" with videos from every Developer Run activity during that time. If anything, the event was intense and attracted a huge attendance of players.

Sincerely,

Engineer

2. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Fantastic videos, thank you @Datendrache !

Datendrache likes this.
  3. Datendrache

Datendrache Avatar

Thanks for the views, likes, and shout outs. :) Here are a few more with commentary:

#4: "Engineer Steals New Britannia vol 1"

I'm a diehard collector of virtual things, so when it became known that some scenes had "unique" stealables that could be used for decoration, I had to document where they were. A few things of note:

One, this was entered into a contest for video tutorials.
    Two, I won a runner-up slot for the "Crafting Complete" series and there was no mention of this series as being entered in the awards livestream.
    Three, it is one of the most heavily watched Shroud of the Avatar tutorial videos made by a fan and remains my most popular video.

To be fair, this video was NOT presented as being virtuous, had the un-PC stereotype of 1920's silent-movie villainy, and the music was mismatched so badly that it was hilarious. Heck, I wasn't even sure if this wasn't highlighting bugs in the game. However, this activity has become a pastime for players in SotA. As one player put it, "It was just fun watching you steal things."

#5: "The Black Sails Saga Part 4: Khali and Beyond, the Battle of Luna City" (This one goes out to Boris Mondragon, R.I.P., with a big thank you to the event organizer and great person @CatherineRose )

Due to technical difficulties involving a low-speed hotel Internet wifi connection, this @Chris moderated, player created, city-wide battle was sent to the community during a Livestream that was exceedingly poor quality. I encourage people who were put off by the first viewing to take another look.

If you want to see Shock and Awe, start watching from 1:55 and lasts about 40 seconds. It's a simple run up and down the street, perfectly timed, showing the squads rolling into battle from all directions. The battle was so intense that @Chris started to search for a server issue on his Twitch stream as this was happening but couldn't see what I was recording. This could be the largest PvP battle ever fought in SotA.

#6: "The Last Dire Portal"

The Obsidians are here to kill the Governor of Aerie, summoning portals that are releasing monsters throughout the town! The last video of the Obsidian series, involving a "calling all Avatars" situation where it seemed like the entire community showed up for the event. There was so much going on that I can understand that any player actually involved couldn't have possibly seen it all -- I was struggling to hit each of the plot points even after being informed in advance of where and what to be filming. If you were part of this event and didn't watch this video, you might be surprised to see what you might have missed. The final touches involving players were actually made up on the fly by the community and rounded out the ending of the video perfectly.

Last edited: May 28, 2021
    Elgarion likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.