New player & questions about books.

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by LieutenantBaconWaffles, May 31, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LieutenantBaconWaffles

LieutenantBaconWaffles Avatar

I had heard of this game before, but it was actually a negative review on Youtube that piqued my interest in the game via reverse psychology. I either learned from the reviewers mistakes, or he just really sucked at playing this, because I'm not having any of the problems he had. I'm enjoying this quite a bit & see myself sticking around.

I've never played Ultima Online because I was a teenager when it came out & my mother was opposed to the idea of online transactions, I'd also never played any of the Ultima games because I didn't get into RPGs until 2005. It was actually the similarities to Elder Scroll: Morrowind that pulled me in. Always did prefer Morrowind over Oblivion or Skyrim.

After years of playing hand-holding MMORPGs, this "figure it out for yourself" approach is rather interesting. & the old school gameplay is refreshing. The way you talk to NPCs & unlock hidden dialogue is fun, the questing is not boringly straightforward. But as I sit here in a house in Soltown reading a pile of books, I'm wondering if I take books marked as private property, will the guards chase me, make me pay a fine, & take my books?

Last edited: May 31, 2021
    Wilfred, FrostII and Violet Ronso like this.
  2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

if you're caught, you'll pay a fine but keep the books. if you are stealthed, you MIGHT not be caught, but that doesn't mean it won't affect your virtue.

yes, you can put them in a trunk or on a bookshelf.

[​IMG]

FrostII, vulcanjedi, Anpu and 3 others like this.
  3. LieutenantBaconWaffles

LieutenantBaconWaffles Avatar

Guess there's not much risk of being caught if I'm the only person in the building & I stash the books with the banker.

Awesome. Now I just need to fins a town that sells deeds, buy a lot, & get a bookshelf.

FrostII likes this.
  4. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

if you want a deed, the cheapest is the free one from completing all the quests in any one of the outskirts.

5. vulcanjedi

vulcanjedi Bug Hunter

There are loads of places where you can loot hundreds of books like The Tower of the Shuttered Eye and in the Epitath.

Wilfred, Nick, FrostII and 1 other person like this.
  6. Ysold

Ysold Avatar

Oh yes, lots of places! There are even libraries in NPC towns and cities that don't mind if you "borrow" their books for indefinite time :) As long as there is a green "Take" button and not a red "Steal" button you're perfectly safe.
    Oh and make sure you check any barrels and crates you come across!

Wilfred, vulcanjedi and Anpu like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.