I wanna do crit damage

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Bridge Troll, May 30, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bridge Troll

Bridge Troll Avatar

A few questions:
    1. Are there any AOE crits?
    2. Which spec crits most?
    3. does charging a skill make a difference in crit damage?

Time Lord, FrostII and Ysold like this.
  2. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

1.) Savage sonata for AOE. Fireflies for single target.
    2.) Most is vague. Tactics spec increases the damage of every crit when using berserker's stance... by a lot. Air spec player's air's embrace gets a crit chance bonus. Swords crit more than other weapons because it has the innate vital points. Daggers crit the most with 20% base while longswords are 12%. There is a crit damage masterwork for weapons that gives around 8-9% for each weapon.
    3.) Not really insofar as charging does more base damage which directly correlates to crit damage (base damage x crit damage modifer). Charging does nothing specific for crit damage.

If you want to crit a lot and high... best would be air/tactics and using a sword. Tactics would be a must. Would get really good crit% and crit damage choosing heavy spec, life spec, etc. instead of air spec.

Last edited: May 31, 2021
  3. Bridge Troll

Bridge Troll Avatar

Should have known to ask you @Sara Dreygon

Let me ask it like this. I know I will spec bard and use sonata. I was thinking of trying ranged spec and trying to crit with multishot. Is that viable? Any tips? I aim to kite crowds and chew em down...

Sara Dreygon, Time Lord and FrostII like this.
  4. Ysold

Ysold Avatar

BT, I you want to take advice from a relative newbie: As a Tamer/Bard you're going to get a lot of aggro. Shields are pretty awesome, so I'd suggest choosing a 1-handed weapon and use a shield.

Just my 2 cents!
    Ysold.

Margaritte, Time Lord, Anpu and 3 others like this.
  5. Bridge Troll

Bridge Troll Avatar

This is for an alt. BT is built almost as far as I wanna go with him.

Time Lord and FrostII like this.
  6. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Very good tips, in fact, shields are AMAZING

My usual options are Shield + hammer for fighting groups or whatever, ground pound is great, the CC is always fun.

If I just want to tank as much as possible, a Mossy handle spear would be great because it offers extra resistance, health and regen, so this is amazing!

Meanwhile, a funny thing to do, especially fighting a single target that the pet holds aggro from, putting a spear in my off hand and nothing in my main hand turns me into the fastest monk alive, and I just punch away while buffing myself and my pet with my Bard songs.

I love to be situational, and the Bard Spec opens up a lot of possibilities on that front, I love it, and a pet is just a little friend that does a bit more for you, it's great!

7. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

BT's a great character. I can't wait to see what's coming next!
    [​IMG]:D~TL~

Cordelayne likes this.
  8. Bridge Troll

Bridge Troll Avatar

I have decided, for now, to go with bludgeon to see how ground pound does with the extra stun chance. The toon was originally going toward bludgeon, so it is a quicker build. Will it make any difference using a 1 hander and shield from a crowd control point of view?

Any tips appreciated. PM for my PayPal info. ;)

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Great choice!
    Those are surprisingly effective even at low level, and I love ground pound.
    I don't know how effective they will be for your personal goals, but I like them because they're great fun to use. The entire bludgeon skill tree is my favorite trees to have in a few of my chrs.
    Most all my chrs are defective in some way or another by choice and due to being narrowly focused on single trees. So, when it comes to a "pure blades vs a pure bludgeon", my mace fighters rock much more than my blades.

A Fan of Defective chrs... ~TL~

10. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

What specific scene are you wanting to run around with Bludgeon? Everything in the entire game is situational. And is different for everyone.

I am Bludgeon and have the entire Bludgeon Tree to GM. In running around Tanglemire I use a 2 Handed Hammer. I stun or knock-down most everything, then run around to the back of them and smack the crap out of them.
    Running around Etceter Craig Mines I use a Hammer and Shield, mainly to stop the Skeletons with bludgeon weapons from stunning me with Bolster Balance (as long as I have that active they won't stun me). Then when I take down the barrier, I equip a Two-handed Hammer and go smack the crap out of Mr. Lich and friend.

Time Lord and Hit Girl like this.
  11. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

I'd probably choose tactics spec over archery spec but yes, that would do damage :)

Time Lord and Violet Ronso like this.
  12. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

I've seen some fairly disturbing formulas passed around that are allegedly the weapon crit chance formulas shared by the devs.

It would be very nice if "weapon critical chance" vs. "weapon critical modifier" vs. "crit chance derived from dexterity" vs. "mitigation against critical hit defense (if it exists)" could be better described so that one knows where best to allocate their efforts in trying to build a dex/crit based melee build to compete with strength/damage resistance melee builds.

This is the formula I was shown for spell critical chance:

Sqrt(skillLevel + Int + ( Dex/2) )*0,015

This is the formula I was shown for melee critical chance:

(Dex + Wepon Crit Chance+ (Armor Weak Points + Vital Points))*(Weapon Crit % from gear)

Even if these formulas are still up to date, this is only one side of the equation as critical hit defense is on the other side and that is unknown as well as the exact nature of a critical hit (e.g. does it just do extra damage, does it ignore some armor, can it be parried or blocked by a shield - i.e. is crit chance simply a base damage multiplier and separate from to hit chance and still has a slew of damage mitigation stats to pass through).

Sometimes in my quest for the ultimate light armor swordsman build, I have felt as if I am just creating more weaknesses in my build than strengths by chasing critical hits.

Last edited: May 31, 2021
    Time Lord, Sara Dreygon and Ysold like this.
  13. Sketch_

Sketch_ Avatar

[QUOTE="Sorgin Txakal”]
    Sometimes in my quest for the ultimate light armor swordsman build, I have felt as if I am just creating more weaknesses in my build than strengths by chasing critical hits.[/QUOTE]

Do not give up. Building these skills will only help you do more damage. Critical hits are a little mysterious, but I think mostly it’s just a big extra damage bonus when they land.

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Pifester

Pifester Bug Hunter

Elven Hilt = +3% crit chance
    Crystal Hilt (remnant from crystal sword - backer reward) gives +5% crit chance, +10% crit damage

Bronze blade: +5% crit chance, +5% crit damage
    Bandit Blade: +7.5% crit chance

MW bladed (lvl 150)
    Masterwork Crit chance - usually around 3.5%
    Masterwork Crit damage - usually around 8-9%

demo blade I have on the wall right now (showcasing the hilt) Bronze longsword, +13.4% Weapon Crit chance, +23.7 Crit damage.

You can add crit (not sure if its chance or damage) with a gem from the bandit chests. Not sure on the numbers for that either, but you could gem out a set to mess with and it might be interesting (expensive, but interesting)

bandit blade, crystal hilt - would be a base 12.5% chance, 10% damage, so with the right MW's = maybe a 16% chance, 18-19% damage (longsword), toss a crit gem on it, and go play

Anpu, Tirrag and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.