Doubts about Critical Hit Chance stat

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Ysold, Jun 26, 2021.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ysold

Ysold Avatar

For some time now I felt that my character that was built for Critical Hits, isn't working. Today I decided to gather some stats.
    Here are the results of the first run:

Str: 83 Dex: 124 Int: 60
    Polearm: 124
    Spear: Damage 8-24 Critical 6%
    +3.4 Weapon Damage
    +30.5% Weapon Critical Chance
    +12.3% Weapon Critical Damage
    Mobs: Satyr Fighter, Satyr Archer, Ghost
    1930 Melee attacks
    355 critical melee attacks = 18%
    I have to add that I was mining, so I wasn't wearing the rings that I usually do (that add Str and Dex mostly). Of course base weapon damage is low in this gear, but the idea was that I would get my damage mainly from crits so that that wouldn't matter. Unfortunately my crit % was pitifully low and crit damage was pretty bad too (will perhaps do the math on that later).

So I decided to make myself some new gear, this time based on Base Damage and Str. I didn't feel like doing more mining, sorry, so I did some crafting xp farming in Twins Foothills. I also wore my normal rings. The results:

Str: 140 Dex: 151 Int: 60
    Spear: 8-25 Critical 6%
    +3 Weapon Damage
    +35.4% Base Weapon Damage
    +5% Weapon Critical Chance
    +5% Weapon Critical Damage
    Mobs: mixed
    1673 Melee attacks
    489 critical melee attacks = 29%

Surprising! So this time I left out Critical stats to my gear and instead added Base Damage and Str, and my crit % went up a lot! And of course my damage went up quite a lot AND my crit damage. I know, the comparison isn't perfect, but I will repeat the test when I feel like mining again.

But this can't be right! It feels like the Critical Damage Chance stat is completely useless. Or am I a complete newbie when it comes to character building?

Your comments would be greatly appreciated!
    Ysold.

Anpu likes this.
  2. Vesper

Vesper Avatar

We're mobs dodging, parrying, glancing, etc? Consider it.

Ysold likes this.
  3. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I'm not completely sure, but I think polearm has a low base crit chance and crit chance bonuses modify base or adjusted base crit chance and are not just +%. It'd be nice if there was some kind of in-game tool tip type of thing to go into more detail on various bonuses, because a lot of them can be interpreted in multiple ways that would make sense.

Ysold likes this.
  4. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I have come to the same conclusion. The formula I saw showed that the biggest Crit chance increase comes from dexterity and strength. Crit chance is a percent of a percent if memory serves (but that is chancy at best). Anyway, I have found that my build is most successful when I maximize strength and dex. I ignore crit chance on gear, crit damage is still something I fool around with but school is still out on that one. Again, if memory serves, it was about 10 dexterity for every gain of one crit chance. For what its worth...

Ysold, Anpu and Lazlo like this.
  5. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

I have quoted a bit of conversation that happened on discord about Crit chance from another player

With a potential softcap in the whole process as well.

Ysold and Anpu like this.
  6. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Also note that your weapon critical chance masterworks the crit chance of your weapon, so in one case you had

6% with 30.5% more (so 7.85%)

And in the other 6% with 5% more (so 6.3%).

Those 25% extra aren't worth much, especially not on a 6% crit chance weapon.

Sara Dreygon, Ysold and Anpu like this.
  7. Ysold

Ysold Avatar

I was wondering about that too. But I also was pondering, that it would be silly if only blades (especially daggers) and ranged weapons could be used for a crit build. (On a sidenote @Anpu : the crit information of weapons on the wiki is about double of what it actually is).
    Spears especially could use some love; as the smallest polearm it should be the fastest, but I think it has the same speed as halberd. I'll try trident next when I can find a Bronze Trident Head recipe. It has some interesting bonusses, but I think the Spear should have some advantages too!

Ysold.

8. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Spears have some of the highest crit damage in the game Ignore shields, have a bleeding skill that also ignores armor, They have some very good advantages! I actually appreciate the fact that their crit chance is lower in exchange for bigger crits when they do happen.

Ysold and Sara Dreygon like this.
  9. Ysold

Ysold Avatar

That's why I like polearms :)
    But what I meant is: Halberd is slow, has high damage, and hits 4 target. Trident is slow, has medium damage, has a built-in damage bonus to Push and Pull, and hits 2 targets. Spear is slow, has low damage, and hits 2 targets.
    Spear could use some love :)

Here are my results from today's mining session:

Str: 127 Dex: 134 Int: 60
    Spear: 8-25 Critical 6%
    +3 Weapon Damage
    +35.4% Base Weapon Damage
    +5% Weapon Critical Chance
    +5% Weapon Critical Damage
    Mobs: Satyr Fighter, Satyr Archer, Ghost
    1197 Melee attacks
    159 critical melee attacks = 13%

The total number of melee attacks is lower than in yesterday's mining session and this was mainly due to the fact that I do much more damage now with normal melee attacks. I did the same number of rounds in the mine.
    The percentage critical attacks in this session is indeed lower than in the first session: 13% vs 18%. So the conclusion must be, that the critical hit bonus stat does work. But, as Violet mentioned before, it isn't really worth investing in it for a weapon that has a low base critical chance (I should have known better than to argue with Violet :))

Ysold.

Anpu and Violet Ronso like this.
  10. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Ohh OK, you meant between the polearms! I misunderstood your statement then!

One thing that spears do have over the other 2 of its weapon class is the ability to use Univorn horns as tips (which makes for the strongest 1handed weapons in the game), as well as its poison effectiveness modifier. I'm not sure if Tridents get that that modifier, but the spears do get that over the halberds, and it is a very good bonus. The majority of the high level players will usually tell you to use 2 spears over tridents or halberds.

Ysold likes this.
  11. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

it would be interesting to break it down by skill, too, since one of the polearm skills' crits were just reported.

Sara Dreygon, Ysold and Anpu like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.