1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Overworld encounters - highlight when 'the threat is over'

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Vaentorian, Jun 30, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vaentorian

Vaentorian Localization Team

I frequently find myself at the end of a random encounter, having killed the higher-level baddies, running around an empty scene trying to figure out if I missed something or if there's just nothing else to do.

Can we get, similar to "You sense a great threat approaching" a message like "You sense the threat is over"? Or maybe "You scan the area and see no further danger" or whatever so that I know there's nothing left to hunt and if I can't see an NPC it's time to GTFO. A message which confirms whether or not there's an NPC would be even better of course!

2. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

I thought about adding an "it's all over" message long ago, but the problem is there are two main sets of enemies in the encounter. One set are the sort of randomly spawning enemies you find in all adventure scenes. The other set is the wave battle that includes the "great threat" wave and announcement. The two sets don't "talk" to one another, and the wave battle enemies have no idea how many randomly spawning enemies are still alive.

So if you can kill all the wave battle enemies and got a "the threat is gone" message, that may not feel correct if you there are any of the randomly spawning enemies still around. I don't want to add a "the threat is gone" message if there are potentially still bad guys around. I guess if we can think of a message with wording that accommodates both the "great threat" being gone but allows that some minor threats still may be around, I'll happily add such a message.

3. Vaentorian

I'd have been happy with a message only appearing after both sets are eliminated, but that seems like the least viable option, especially since I found the regular enemies can respawn if you hang around the encounter long enough.

So it's more of a "back to normal" rather than "there is no threat at all". Maybe something like "The greater danger has now passed"... I instinctively want to add some wording that specifies the possibility of regular danger, but brief is probably better. I'll keep pondering in case something clearer but still concise comes to mind.

Sannio likes this.
  4. Vaentorian

A couple of alternative formulations:
    "The threat level has returned to normal"
    "This area no longer contains a heightened threat"

Lord Aventine and Sannio like this.
  5. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

i don't think that's intended?

Coswald_Dirthmire likes this.
  6. Sannio

Correct. Regular enemies should not respawn. If someone sees this bug happening, hopefully it's just a case of a setting is wrong in one scene, and please report it as a bug with all the normal /loc details.

7. Vaentorian

This was earlier today in a Mistrendur snowy tundra Wolf encounter, after defeating the wave spawn (elder wolf/ferocious bear). If I come across it again I will /bug with proper details.

Edit: IIRC the harvesting nodes also refreshed and the timeline was similar to a normal adventure scene refereshing

Sannio and Anpu like this.
  8. Sannio

Added your suggestions to my to-do list as issue #69290. I won't be working on anything like this in the near future, so please feel free to continue making suggestions. I'll also give this some thought.

9. Coswald_Dirthmire

Coswald_Dirthmire Bug Hunter

I like the "The greater (greatest?) danger has now passed" option, and would like to throw in "The worst of things have passed" or "The worst of it is over". I am guessing shorter is better for these.

Vaentorian likes this.
  10. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I more like what ties into the original message “You sense a great threat approaching “ to “You no longer sense a great threat“.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
    Vaentorian likes this.
  11. Sannio

Thanks for the additional suggestions! Added to the issue notes.

Anpu likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.