Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Bringing loot over from Single player to Multi player

Discussion in 'Release 3 Feedback' started by D A Morton, Feb 21, 2014.

?

Should you be able to bring things over from single player game to multi when the game goes live.

1. Yes

47.1%
  2. No

52.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

Silly poll; this is a FUNDAMENTAL aspect in the design of the game.

Golem Dragon likes this.
  2. fumblefingers

fumblefingers Avatar

Waiting can an should teach you a lot of things, One huge one is called fair play. Affect the market, if your buying from your local area, if there is tons of something its cheap.If you have to wait on the resource ,, well i bet you really know the answer there too. Oh and if you really really have to wait on something. i think they call that Rare.

3. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

I voted No because of the way the question was asked.
    Single player Offline should be just that. No transferring of any items, character etc of any kind.
    Single player Online then yes, items and characters should transfer over. The only difference between single player online and multi player is being able to see the other players. I am not sure how this would effect resource nodes and mobs but i would think in single player online they both would be very limited.

Golem Dragon, skinned and NRaas like this.
  4. redrumdrake

redrumdrake Avatar

even in multilayer if you go into the woods for mats chances are your in the woods in your own instance. and mats should be cheep it rare mats and things that require crafting skill to make that should be worth something.

docdoom77, skinned and NRaas like this.
  5. yakumo2897

yakumo2897 Avatar

I feel like they should be kept separate. With single player and multiplayer items coming together you run the risk of duping and other cheating or exploits in the single player campaign that make it over to the multiplayer. This has happened for every game that has allowed single player items in a multiplayer game.

Examples:
    Diablo
    Borderlands 2

6. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

You are referring to the "offline" versus "online" components, I gather ?

The original poster is referring to playing the "Single Player Online" versus "Open Player Online" components. :)

7. smack

smack Avatar

Resource nodes will likely be instanced and do not persist across instances. So regardless of SPO, FPO, or OPO, resources are instanced. What resources they make available, the amount available and the difficulty in obtaining them will be dependent on the mode and whatever else they want to throw into that logic. Some may never be found in SPO or FPO.

And perhaps as a special case, they may make certain types of resources persistent across instances. Perhaps a shard from the moon fell and created a contested resource hex for this very high value resource. It falls in a particular location and is persisted across instances and only available in OPO.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  8. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Yes, the devs have many different approaches available to them when dealing with resource allocation.

Should be interesting to see which ones they choose to implement.

Jivalax Azon and Xandra7 like this.
  9. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Note: The tone of the following post is not directed at any individual or playstyle. However, I have attempted to show my complete displeasure with the idea of allowing Single Player Online (SPO) items to transfer to multiplayer online.

With that disclaimer firmly shown up front, please continue to read:

Instead of allowing players the ability to bring items from SPO to multiplayer, why stop there? Why not just let players auto generate whatever items and gold they want? Or better yet, how about we just give them access to the main database and cut out the middle man? Maybe steamline a macro gold duping script and sell it in the addon store?

Look, if there are people that want to play Single Player Online and get tons of loot and live in a world where they can never really lose or have general risks, that's fine. I understand that there are people that really enjoy that playstyle. But for pete's sake, can I have some challenge in multiplayer? Is anything sacred?

I dare say that if SPO is somehow linked to multiplayer from an economic standpoint, I would sell off all 2k+ items and pledged accounts faster than anyone can say R4.

With that in mind, it's of great comfort to me that the developers have already firmly stated that SPO items WILL NOT transfer to multiplayer.

Ferrus and Brimor like this.
  10. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

What makes you think items will be easier to obtain in SPO? They may well be more difficult. You now have to fight whatever was guarding the loot by yourself, rather than with a friend.

Again, I don't see any exploit here.

Kaisa, Akeashar and NRaas like this.
  11. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Mind citing your source on that one ?

I am aware of such assurances regarding the "offline" and "online" modes, but nothing of that nature for SPO, FPO, OPO modes.

12. Ember

Ember Avatar

It sounds like the developers are shooting for only having "better" or "higher level" resources only available in MPO or something to that extent. Personally, I'm also more of a crafter/RPer than a PvPer, so having the option to gather simple materials to help learn my craft rather than fighting for basic resources sounds very nice. I'm sure that if item "transfer" from SPO to MPO is carried on into the live release, they'll have a system in place so that maybe there are fewer nodes spawning or there's a longer time between spawns in SPO so that trading monopolies don't occur in MPO.

The devs are doing a fantastic job listening to our concerns and balancing them out so far!

Jivalax Azon, Akeashar and Margard like this.
  13. PaCOatlanticBaja

PaCOatlanticBaja Avatar

Ahh doesnt this take away from the thrill of going in pvp contested areas for better resources out the window... wow another blow to pvp free world... this game is getting WOWicfied lol

14. smack

smack Avatar

Let's not jump to conclusions about how easy (or even hard) it is to obtain resources or loot or whatever crafted items in SPO. The devs will balance this and will rely on us to play test it. We can only assume that they're taking this into account but have yet to publish final decisions around it so everything is speculation. Even so, there's still effort involved in gathering, refining, crafting, exploring, fighting, etc for those resources/items/etc. They'll take that into account and tweak the 'effort' required, be it harder mobs, no mobs, less resource nodes, more resource nodes, low value resources only, high value resources only, etc. Single Player Online (SPO) is here to stay as it is a very viable mode of play. So let's work with them to ensure it plays well with the other modes.

15. Aegis159

Aegis159 Avatar

Why must it always come down to PvP free? Here's a thought, perhaps a business arrangement could be made between you and the person gathering/mining whatever it is you want?
    You know, cut out the vendor and going directly to the source? I know that technically that would be Player+Player interaction, but it doesn't have to always have that negative "versus" part attached to it!
    I dabble in PvP when I want to, but I absolutely LOATHE having to deal with it if I'm doing nothing else than resource gathering...
    "Hey that guy is gathering flowers I need as well. How about I try to purchase them from him? Nah, on second thought it's just easier to kill him since there's no real consequences for my actions in the game."

Jivalax Azon and Xandra7 like this.
  16. JAMorton

JAMorton Avatar

@NRaas

It was stated in the recent Dev Hangout for Feb 20 2014 that when the game goes live, where at the moment u can transfer items over from SPO to MPO to assist in testing crafting and economy etc etc this option will be removed from the game.

17. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Hmmm... You are referring to FireLotus's assertion (at around 18:34 in that chat) that the "hack" where you drop to SPO and loot the freebie chests for lots of loot will not be part of the release game ?

I would agree in that regards. The easy to retrieve chests with piles of crafting materials in them will *not* be part of the release game.

However, the ability to switch back and forth between SPO, FPO, and OPO modes certainly will be a part of the game. And since the character for online is the same regardless, the items you are carrying will be same throughout as well.

----

Think about it for a second :

If you have a house, all you would need to do to would be to drop to SPO mode, place the objects in your house, and then come up to OPO mode and retrieve them.

It does not make sense to have your items vanish simply because you are viewing all the users in game, rather than none. :)

18. Kal

Kal Avatar

i saw this as well but they didn't clarify it enough. hopefully we learn more soon.

19. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

In my opinion the true answer for this question depends on the intent of PvP.

In single player online you will experience the same environment, the same NPC/monsters. You will be running after the same nodes as other players (they might get there first, you just won't see them). From this perspective it doesn't matter if it's single player or multi-player.

People in single player should not be able to access locations where there is PvP and possible rare resources within PvP areas. Fairly obvious why this should be be entertained.

20. Kal

Kal Avatar

yeah they definitely can't allow single player online players to access those pvp areas with the rare resources and therefore bypass the pvp aspect which is be there to balance out the risk and reward for those areas

NRaas likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.