Return of Ransom

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by The Revenant, Aug 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. queenbee

queenbee Avatar

Ysold, to say that PVP is a hobby and attempting to put it in the same category as decorating is a complete fallacy.

Buy a ton of cotos, open up the coto store, and you can buy the most expensive house, decos, furniture, with just a click of a "buy" button. You can't do that with PVP.

It takes time, effort, and a lot of materials to train, develop, and learn how to PVP.

Johnwick, Adam Crow, Anpu and 2 others like this.
  2. queenbee

queenbee Avatar

The original concern was that because there was no ransom or consequence being in a PVP zone to fish, people were taking advantage of it by treating it like was a non pvp zone. They knew they lost nothing if they got killed. They could just res and keep fishing. If this is the case, there is no reason to have a category of PVP fishing for Catnip. Why bother? The whole idea of PVP is that there is a risk.

Johnwick and Violet Ronso like this.
  3. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

PvP for many is the End Game. Some grind to kill faster, some grind to fund their crafting or decorating, but for some, they grind to PvP. Decorators have new decor each month, PvEers have new scenes from time to time, a **** ton of work has been put into loot changes and what not, but PvPers are left with the scraps and the blame for balance passes, they don't get now things, ever. How can we say that putting effort into making PvP rewarding wont put nothing back into the game? For all we know, it might bring back a bunch of players who quit a while ago because they finally see some effort being put into what they consider their End Game, much like many came back because they finally found out how to become stronger which brought some newly found love to the game back to them (know someone like that? :p)

PvP in its current state is missing so many things, but a reward (and a risk element) is probably the most important one, because players like to be rewarded.

Adam Crow and Time Lord like this.
  4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

But this is supposed to be the successor to Ultima.. and unfortunately I'm pretty well versed in the Ultima lore. They went through great lengths to make every Ultima connection legally possible. And the one and only Avatar was always his physical self. Personally, "It's magic" is a major pet peeve for me. It's the cheap catch all explanation for the unreasonable. "We haven't really considered if it makes any sense so.. it's magic" The problem is, every magic system anywhere has rules for how it works and what is possible. Then to suddenly go.. well "It's magic" is like taking your own lore and dumping it in a trash heap.

I know, I know most people don't really care about it that much. It's a game. Partly for that reason I get pretty annoyed with the powers that be even try to force lore to explain necessary game mechanics. Just say.. look it's an online game and we want PvP.. so that's just how it works cause we don't want permadeath. I would be so much happier. Quit taking a dump on the lore with the nonsense devs! Can you tell it really irks me? :) It's bad enough they did a single player narrative in an online environment.. *beating the undead horse for the 99th time*

Ok ok.. I'm taking a chill now. :)

Long point short.. I'm one of the odd ones that actually cares about that stuff.

While not a PvPer, I have occasionally made suggestions I thought would work. I don't want to judge the devs when I'm not familiar with what goes on behind the curtain so I'll just say that if it's one thing I've learned is that the devs and I do not sure the same design philosophies. (But you'd be surprised how many of my ideas when into the game in some form).

Vaentorian likes this.
  5. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Player retention, but not an attraction, a player combat training aide, yet only if our PvPers are made to be heros through design, an asset to our game, yet suffering from having a parasitic relationship through game design and it's game design desires.

It's a puzzle that needs placing together when we speak of further changes made, or the paracitic relationship deepens which does not help our game and does not serve our PvP well. We as a game are looking at old game solutions which are generic throughout all those old game design ideas of the past when we're looking into the future, as if we are the grandma & grandpa's shopping for clothing fashons without more modern designs being considered.

Our PvP design wears cargo pants and safari shirts...
    [​IMG]
    and also lives off a pension :(
    :D~TL~

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
  6. queenbee

queenbee Avatar

I am going to risk sounding rude. If you don't PVP, try it. Come to a PVP fishing contest and take on a PVPer. You will find out how fast they can kill you because they have trained hard to attain their status. Then I challenge you to do what it takes to actually beat them. The coto store will not help you with this.

The end game is PVP. But improving it has been slow and I think it's because of the toxic reputation people have been giving it.

7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Thanks for reminding me of people's inability (or unwillingness) to stick to the specifics of a simple question. :p To this day I've still never gotten a proper answer. :)

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Not rude at all. :)

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

All that and all we got was corpse wax :D~TL~

10. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

oh don't get me started! lol

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I think it's missing a productive part, whatever a part like that would look like. There's allot of things to try in our game but so little time to do everything. There's allot of distractions due to our PvP not having a luster which attracts more to it. But what are we encouraging in attracting players to it? It's not attracting anyone to the coto store, so in my view, there needs to be items that cater to PvP which would enhance PvP's luster through design.

We have an amount of players which dedicate their time (which it takes quite allot of time) to PvP. It's an involved thing, yet if there's not a connection between PvP and gain, both in development funds as well as in PvP player reward, then we're loosing that fight through gaming design. That means that if we encourage more to PvP, then we are encouraging less players to fund our game's development.

There must be bridges made to remedy that paracitic relationship, which also increases our PvP fun.

Selling Guns to the Natives:
    Our game has an over-all design aim to allow players to create their own fun, through creating their own places designed for that fun. Those kobold turbo lifts were a step in the right direction and they're cheap! But we need more "things" to help enhance our PvP. We've seen this through building block designs, mazes and all sorts of deco construction, yet PvP is an action based entertainment which needs more than stagnate arena, stage or lot design. Those tubo lifts move, which is a PvP game changer, maybe we need some crew served weapons for coto sale as well as crafted and single lot teleporters.

The Afgan war didn't start itself, first weapons needed to be shipped in to a people that couldn't make them themselves, really good weapons that were entertaining through the fashion design glorification and empowerment they provided the end user. Our Coto shop is no different. Until we invent more ways to enhance, glorify and sell more stuff into our PvP, then our PvP conflicts will suffer from lack luster. Crew served weapons which deal significant power, yet also have significant vulnerability to capture are the tried and true ways to escalate attractive combat anywhere as well as mobilization methods and fortifications.

The formula described ubove never fails, never , never, never fails whether or not it's in the real world or in never never land.
    Peter Pan did not make his own sword, he only got addicted to violence after encountering Capt. Hook, where the desirability of the power within the weapons of Hook caused Peter Pan to need one in order to be a hero. Peter would have never picked up a weapon if it were not for Hook providing one through the display of his power.

How do you get a nice guy like Peter to PvP?

Provide him an objective which holds the promises of empowerment.

We need to deco our way to better PvP through PvP enhancing things, such as turbo lifts and crew served weapons to capture, or the flags are meaningless to take because they hold no power.
    ~TL~

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
  12. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Ok just let me add this.. wax is NOT water soluble! ok ok.. I'm done.. way off topic.. sorry. :)

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

MY end game is not pvp. Lol

it is soloing all the big bosses with just me and my polar mutilator. That is my end game.

FBohler and Time Lord like this.
  14. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

What are you going to do once you've killed them all over and over again and you grow tired of it? Either move on to a different game or pvp. That's where some players eventually get, and at that point they look for more of a challenge. And another player is far more challenging then any boss or group content. Some players will never get there because they don't play as often as others, or they simply find it fun to grind the same content over and over, but the majority of gamers in general want a challenge. That is why pvp games are so popular.

Anpu, queenbee, Johnwick and 2 others like this.
  15. Duke Gréagóir

I will Either move on to a different game or keep playing this one with you fine folks. :D Not PVP.

If you want you can buy my skull:
    [​IMG]

FBohler, Adam Crow and Time Lord like this.
  16. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

You certainly have enough spare parts to put yourself back together with :D~TL~

FBohler and Duke Gréagóir like this.
  17. queenbee

queenbee Avatar

You've just stated a personal preference/goal which is fine.

There is this mountain trail, I would like to get to the summit, the top. So far I've only accomplished getting to the tree line. After the tree line, I leave myself open to the elements. Some kid died up there from being electrocuted. So I PREFER to just go to the tree line. But that doesn't negate that I would still have to hike up over another mile to get to the top.

So your personal goal of wanting to be able to take down the toughest bosses with your pet does not negate that PVP is still the end game.

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Duke Gréagóir

Black and white? end game is what everyone wants it to be. Not just one thing.

You want PVP to be your endgame, great!!

Time Lord and FBohler like this.
  19. queenbee

queenbee Avatar

There is a difference between discussing and debating. In a debate, I would argue that PVP is the end game, black and white. I have put forth some reasons for my stance. If you would like more, I can delve into it.

TimeLord, if you're going to quote me about the connection between cotos and PVP, I don't think you understood what I was saying from your response.

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Duke Gréagóir

No thank you. No need.

The more I read this thread and the more I read on the discord area, we need ransom back for PVP.

Time Lord and FBohler like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.