Return of Ransom

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by The Revenant, Aug 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I see, I don't think there is a case to be made that one should can get immunity in a PvP zone.

2. Johnwick

Johnwick Avatar

Typing on phone so mistakes are made, I didn't mean to quote you but it just happened!

Tahru likes this.
  3. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

Totally agreed!

Take note devs, this game was designed with thousands of concurrent players in mind, we barely hit hundreds nowadays.

Tahru likes this.
  4. queenbee

queenbee Avatar

I think this is a game of "Telephone" gone wrong. Nobody suggested selling PVP items in the COTO store. The original comment was that PVP was a hobby like decorating is a hobby. You can deco a house in a day with just the "buy" button on the COTO store. You can't do that with PVP. It takes time to train, level, and practice..and the COTO store cannot help you with that.

Johnwick likes this.
  5. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

This would make a great pvp set... and I'll bet we could imagine more things which would even better such a set.
    Rejecting Deco as a PvP enhancement? :confused:
    Are you saying that oceans, beaches, hills and trees should be eleminated, or just things that can fund our game until we're back fighting in empty basements???

These wind turbines were a great idea and I want to see even more things which would change the face of our our SOTA-PvP. Our skills are unlike any other game and engaged like no other. Unique and like nothing else makes our game challenging. Including Deco through combining it with our PvP's uniqueness, through them complementing each other's strengths and weaknesses will help pull our PvP into funding our game through more entertaining design.

• The Actors
    • The Script
    • The Set <---<<< this is the most important actor in any play (pvp or whatever play). It's what takes the audience and participants into a feeling of reality, and it can be sold through the coto store to help fund our game.
    In order to cause a revolution, one must first set the stage which draws the actors to want to perform on it and the writers to write plays for those actors.

For Example, from the movie "Barton Fink"...
    Just one small change in the set, changes the entire mood.
    [​IMG]
    By adding things in this set, in this case fire, attracts what is to be further played.
    [​IMG]
    It's not the actions of the actor which are most dramatic, it's the set which surrounds him which causes the excitement.

Deco drove this entertainment, not the weapon, not the actor, because both the weapon and the actor were reacting to the set and not the other way around.

This is how and the way we can cause our SOTA-PvP to become more entertaining while also helping fund our game. This is a much better additive than spending our developer's time adjusting a slight few points of any skill through long hours combat testing. All that myth of "slight balance" just eats up developer time and adds nothing back into our game's funding for that developer time. If the set is right, the action will happen and if done well, it will happen more often and become more apealing both in it's spectical as well as it's abilities to fund itself.

Deco drives our game and deco drives our game's apeal which has been more than proven through our empty basement area. Our arena are nothing but an empty actor because it's an empty set which is the same that can be said about our outdoor PvP areas. They provide little to no enhancement because their set does not enhance the actor or react to the actor who plays upon it. It does not help the actor enjoy the (in this case) SOTA-PvP to it's fullest extent and is not unique.

This is all why ransom isn't the answer, more inventive SOTA-PvP enhancing deco is, and the new lift wind turbines are not only a great start, but a perfect example in good PvP enhancing gaming through more unique set design.
    ~Time Lord~

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
    FBohler and Tirrag like this.
  6. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

i think you were reading my mind :D after i took those screenshots i started thinking of a PvP "Sky Arena". even though i am not interested in playing PvP, building an arena way up in the sky utilizing mulitple levels, the turbines, the invisible pathways, and the risk of falling to your death at any second seems like an amazing build :cool:

Anpu likes this.
  7. Virsago2099

Virsago2099 Avatar

I was responding to the statement that Time Lord made on page one about needing to justify the cost of the devs working on pvp by selling items in the COTO store.

8. queenbee

queenbee Avatar

The COTO store doesn't enhance PVE abilities. So why would one expect to buy COTO items to enhance PVP?

9. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

I think both of you mis-understood Time Lord. I think and he can correct me if I am wrong, but I think what he means by PvP things sold in the Coto store is more along the lines of those new Kobold fan thingies that shoot you up, basically decorations and stuff that can help players build a PvP field, to enhance the PvP experience with these things. Those kobold fans are a great way to rapidly move up instead of stairs, someone smart could incorporate that into builds to make a nice arena where you are also worrying about the height you are fighting on and how you can navigate it. These sort of things can easily be added to the Crown store and generate revenue from the PvP crowd if they start building arenas, and then this gives a good reason for Catnip to invest into PvP, because they will see a real return on their investment.

Was that it @Time Lord ?

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Yes and...

I have 2 more new POTs coming in R-93 and I could (so the current planning is) make one a PvP POT specifically for the purpose of constructing an extremely large outdoor PvP combat ... you could call it an arena. Meanwhile, the other POT would be setting up a new PvP intended place. When one is complete, then it becomes a PvP area and the other is taken out of service for re-construction.
    (I have all sizes of lot deeds for this and I do mean all sizes).

That construction of @Tirrag was not intended as a PvP scene, yet does point to "a" PvP future beyond just open field or basement combat set design.

Complaints thus far within our availible coto store deco:

• Arrow Traps do not have actual arrows that would hurt (need on/off, low/med/high "switch")
    • Spike Traps do not have any harmful effects (same as ubove, needs PvP settings low/med/high harmful effects with a switch to adjust them or made availible in a variety which are at affordable coto store pricing).
    • Flame Traps (same as all ubove)
    • Need more of the same.
    • Need more different things that would effect battle areas/scenes/lots/pots.
    Through this way, we need to deco our way to more enjoying and aluring PvP.
    ~Time Lord~

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
    majoria70, Tirrag and Violet Ronso like this.
  11. oplek

oplek Avatar

Sportsmanship is what helped me contextualize what was bugging me about PVP. It wasn't even really loss or risk in general, but specifically the risk of dying TO a PVPer.

I'd think that the average PVPer would want to cultivate a community where people, you know, want to be PVPed by them. But instead, would rather take a flamethrower to the community for kicks. It always seemed inherently self-cannibalistic to me. But no, I'm apparently the one in the wrong, for not wanting to escape from jerks-at-work, to go spend my off-hours with jerks-at-work.

That said, the SOTA community seems to put an above-average amount of work into that cultivation. Even in EVE Online, you'll find some people gifting you the cost of your ship they just blew up, but that ratio is a lot lower.

Tahru likes this.
  12. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Who's saying you are in the wrong? PvPers want something that should have 0 impact on other people's playstyle : Don't want to PvP? Don't!

Why is it that every time PvPers ask for a bit of love from the devs, the others jump in and tell them how much some bad apples ruin the game and how much you feel pressurized to do PvP even if it isn't the case? PvPers want a reward. What would you say if PvE loot was turned off for a few months? 0 loot, no matter what you kill, you wont get a single thing, how would you enjoy that? And then, when you would decide to ask for loot back, just watch the PvP crowd jump in and tell you that you should just enjoy the thrill of the hunt! "You killed a dragon, you dont need arties, gold and materials, just appreciate the fact that you killed it!" - That is how some of you sound.

As for this. Do you know how many times I got killed by a PvPer (when ransom was on) and they didnt even claim it? They just returned my items? More times than the opposite. And guess what happened? They stuck around and wanted to chat, give me pointers, tell me what I did wrong and what I could try next time to maybe have a chance in defeating them. Maybe you had bad experiences, but I had good ones, don't put everyone in the same bag, and stop thinking that you've seen it all, that your experience is THE experience.

In the end, we just want some sort of reward. There are many ideas, all we want is one of those ideas to be put in so we can actually enjoy are time, and I am asking for something that rewards losers for their time too, not just the winner, because if you never win, you'll never get anything, and will be turned off by it.

13. Virsago2099

Virsago2099 Avatar

I have never in all my time gaming, heard house deco referred to as pvp items....but ok lol. Sure put all the "pvp" items in there that it'll hold lol. In fact, if that's the definition we're going with, then the store already has a ton of pvp items lol.

14. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Before shroud, me either, but, with how this Sandbox universe works, the statement makes sense.

In minecraft, people build PvP arenas from all the blocks they can place, and in such, those blocks can be seen as useful for PvP for map builders, same thing translates to Shroud, if it can help builders create a PvP arena or PvP environment, it can have a PvP purpose.

15. Joe Zhudarak

Joe Zhudarak Avatar

We don´t need pvp itens in store, what we need is the basic system that works properly. We aren´t even asking for updates just bring the things that were temporary removed back!

Oficial PVP contests in non ransom areas are meanless, when dying dont have costs the person that have the most play time has the better chance to win

Virsago2099 likes this.
  16. Virsago2099

Virsago2099 Avatar

So if I put my house in a pvp enabled POT then my house is a pvp item? I don't feel like we need new revenue to justify pvp updates, but if that's what we're going with then pvp items have been in the crown store for ages already. So let's get those updates going lol.

17. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

But if they bring back ransom like it was, you will lose many of the newer PvPers, they've said it, they will 100% drop PvP if Ransom is added back to how it was before. Why not want something better?

What about more items like the new Kobold thingy? Why not actual traps that deal damage or cause CC? Why not dampening fields or buffing fields like the ones in the Kobold Castle in Mysterious swamp?

By the way, I'm not saying we need to justify PvP updates, I know Time Lord used that as an argument, but in my case, I think those are just cool things both for dungeon builders but also for PvP builders. Why is this not just a good idea? There are tons of things that could help build different kinds of arenas or battlegrounds, that could generate more revenue. Are they needed to make PvP better? Not at all, but can they help? Surely, and they could generate extra revenue at the same time, sounds like a win-win situation...

18. Joe Zhudarak

Joe Zhudarak Avatar

Leaderboard 6 months ago had more pvp partipants than now:
    Kotasoth, Graydios, Frankstein, klabi papi, Dailen PR, jini cesar, Beddma and a lot more, specially russian people that used to play the pvp game on daily basis, all are now gone and several told me that was because the ransom removal....

It had zero impact on increasing that pvp activity ...we only lost a lot of veterans that were really fun to face.

Antrax , Fzol and others in the past tried hard to implement new sytstems, promisses were made (anyone remember pvp queue/ castle siege ?) ... i learned the better is keep what we current have and play with it.

19. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Well I'll take my stand on my point. I think Ransom is not the answer, especially not anymore with the new item values, and I am certain a new reward system for PvP that is actually rewarding and not just a combat related trading system between players running around with trash would be better. Not only would it be rewarding, but wouldn't scare off new blood, because at some point, no matter the reward system, your veterans will quit because they will grow tired no matter what. You need new blood to keep the cycle going and refresh the population.

I doubt if a new system that is actually rewarding is implemented and they don't come back that they would have come back with ransom too.

20. Joe Zhudarak

Joe Zhudarak Avatar

New systems that enchance pvp would be awesome, but....When was the last time pvp received an update recently ? maybe obsidian trials in 2017 ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.