Artifact Survey Tool

Discussion in 'Player Created Resources' started by Tirrag, Aug 27, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

Greetings Avatars! I have released a new tool for players and believe it will be one of the most popular tools I have created. One of the biggest questions that arises from players is "Where does X artifact drop?". The SotA public API cannot answer this question and the SotaWiki, as amazing as it is, is limited by folks updating it which can be intimidating. This tool looks to source this information directly from... YOU! Anonymously of course :)

Artifact Survey Tool

How it works

While you are adventuring either solo or as a group, every time an artifact is gained an entry is created in your chatlog for that session. The tool works by you uploading your chatlog file to the tool, processing it to find the artifacts, and storing them in a database. This data can then be used by the view page to see the data processed from all uploaded files.

Privacy

The tool does not store any data specific to you. A one-way hash is stored (an encoded version) of your filename to prevent duplicate uploads. There is no way to reverse the hash to see the filename (which is important as your player name is in the chatlog filename). After the file is processed it is immediately deleted from the system. The only data from your chatlog file that is stored is the artifact name + rarity, the scene that it was obtained in, and the last MOB killed prior to obtaining the artifact. The data is stored in summary format so there is no direct link back to any specific file hash that the data came from.

Limitations

The tool will only process a chatlog file once.

The chatlog files upload has a maximum file size of 50MB.

The chatlog does not contain the exact source of the artifact. The tool stores the current scene and the last MOB killed along with the artifact as information that can be used to potentially locate the source of the artifact.

The tool cannot distinguish between artifacts looted from a crate or a body.

ChatLog files that span midnight will not register artifacts since the scene is not known. Once the scene has changed, any artifacts gained will be registered.

Thank you @Anpu for noting that there is a randomness to the Artifact system. The # at the end on the view page is the # of times that occurred in ChatLog files. The higher the # the more likely the source. Still, the data will never be exact.

Over time the drops for some artifacts may have changed. For example, the Razorback Destroyers in South Drachvald Spur used to drop all tamer artifacts. Since then, the ones specific to a type of animal have been moved to only dropping from that animal (ie Bear helms now only drop from bears).

What is next?

The view page is meant as a placeholder for now. It's simple and works but I plan on a more robust, searchable interface.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
    Torrell, Sonja, Wilfred and 5 others like this.
  2. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

The tool hit 50 chatlogs processed for data! Fantastic contribution everyone :) Donate your chatlog data (anonymously) if you are willing. The more wide-ranging the data, the more useful the tool is to the community.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
    Wilfred, FrostII, Anpu and 1 other person like this.
  3. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

Based on user feedback I have updated the ChatLog upload page to support multiple files at the same time as opposed to uploading one at a time. This allows you to either select multiple files or drag multiple files for processing. The system will be at 200 ChatLogs processed soon and the collection of Artifact location information is growing! Help participate by uploading your ChatLogs now easier that ever ;)

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Is the scene for Obsidian Canapticon being used for the scene Jotungrund?

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

Greetings Aldo! I don't believe so. The scene name comes from the log. As the log processes it tracks which scene the player goes in to. When an artifact is logged, it saves the last scene entering line that it encountered. Did you see something that prompted you to ask? There may be something I am not accounting for yet that caused an anomaly. It is possible that with disconnects and such that maybe it caused the scene tracking to fail somehow or if something occurred to cause it to not log the scene entering line so it thought it was still in a different scene. Hard to say I would have to see the log to know for sure.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
    Time Lord likes this.
  6. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

@Aldo I just realized you may be asking because of the polar destroyers, ice eles, and such in the survey. There is a location in The Obsidian Panopticon that is a great grounds for harvesting taming artifacts and XP.

Time Lord and Aldo like this.
  7. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Disregard my post...I failed to find the location within the scene that had ice elementals and etc. With the help here, I am out to explore till I drop lol. Great tool BTW

Time Lord and Tirrag like this.
  8. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

The floodgates have opened! With the addition of the multiple file upload a flood of chatlogs have come in. 2133 have been processed to this point :) A huge thank you to those that have taken the time to donate their chatlog artifact data. I believe the tool has reached a truly useful state! This does not mean if you were considering participating that your data is still not needed. The more data that is in the tool the more accurate it is and the more useful it is to you and your fellow SotA players. The value has already been shown with @Aldo and his quest.

@Elgarion, I believe we can now link this to the player useful links when you get the time. Probably the direct view page would be the most valuable to link:

https://shroudoftheavatar.tools/artifact-survey/view.php

It is much appreciated!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
    Time Lord and Elgarion like this.
  9. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

There is one slight thing that you may not be accounting for. All creatures have a chance to drop a random artifact, but these aren't something they always drop.

Like today while killing Imps in the Necropolis Barrens one dropped a Thimble of Evelyn. So If I uploaded that, is it going to list that artifact as an item that is found there? That was a completely random drop. They do not normally drop those.

10. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

Hi @Anpu! It would yes and that is why also the #. The higher the # the more likely the source of the artifact. I wish it could be 100% accurate but there is no way at this time to do that. In the end its better to have the data than to not but there will be nuances like the one you have mentioned. It's also why it's important to get the best sampling possible with more people uploading so the more accurate sources shine through.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
  11. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Very nice :) I'll get this as a newly added resource on the events page today, and in the resources page during my next pass shortly. Good work, and thank you! :)

Time Lord, Anpu, Tirrag and 1 other person like this.
  12. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

bringing this back up after some time has passed. the survey is up to 2672 anonymously donated chatlogs to help bring us all awareness to where artifacts can be found. View the wealth of knowledge and help participate if you can!

Elgarion, Anpu and that_shawn_guy like this.
  13. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

up to 2881 donations thank you! i saw a SotA funny in the data @Elgarion :)

• Ringmaster's Vest, Common - Upper Tears - Matt Daemon - 1

Elgarion likes this.
  14. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Hahhaa, nice! Best name I've seen in a while :p

FrostII likes this.
  15. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

just a side note now that there are 96 artifacts in the list i finally updated the view to slim it down a bit. all the detail is still there just click the artifact to see the detail.

FrostII likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.