Farming

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Iain, Sep 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

100% yes! There are so many nuances that could be done. One stickler for me has always been seed. We should be able to grow a crop and let it go to seed to gain the seed to replant that crop and maybe one or two more crops or to sell to other players on vendors. Seed, fertilizers, infestations, bad weather, quests, weather-based watering, turn-ins.... the list gets really exciting :)

2. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Cotton is King and was King before anything got de-valued and also now after everything else has been de-valued. Taking something away from a style of play without replacing it is just sota-sinful.

We can have a pvp thread that is filled with avid pvp players and have others say they oppose most everything about pvp, and everyone knows where that goes because everyone gets it, both sides get it from both their ends. This is not so different, yet if pvp were suddenly taken away, as most agriculture was (all but the real gold monster "cotton" and the magic 2), the pvp community would demand or leave, which is what began this thread full of rehtoric. Agriculture just isn't that vocal or agressive.

OK, but why don't you like peppers? What did peppers do to anyone?

This is where peppers should go, but hunters and crafters have a monopoly, yet can still sell to npc rather than turn in?
    Why are tomatoes evil? Coconuts, I liked coconuts, they looked good when they were grown, but they're worthless now.
    [​IMG]
    I need a Mexican style sombrero for my peppers, I need to be able to throw my tomatoes from a tomato replenishing box and I need my coconut jungle juice!

RP has everything to do with it, yet it's being addressed as an economic issue, while leaving the cotton gold demon and the magic two which are not very needed when they can be easily grown enough inside a row home.
    ~TL~

SmokerKGB and Iain like this.
  3. Iain

Iain Avatar

I do like the idea of turning in crops in the same way I can turn in salmon and hides etc

4. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

The key to getting anything is to never let them know that you're satified and that also works well for the developers as well, because there's no better time than when they're working on whatever you want for them to include even more of what you'd really want.

That's why I won't be satisfied until we can grow a Groot :D~Time Lord~
    [​IMG]

Tahru likes this.
  5. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

One thing I'm not following right now is this cotton thing. Can't you still grow cotton and sell to the npc? If you can double your gold doing that, what exactly is the problem. It seems like the devs left one crop on so it wouldn't completely eliminate that activity.

Now they can start working on making the other agricultural items that were changed into more player based economy.

So can't you farmers still use your big farms to grow cotton and make gold like you have been? Or am I missing something?

SmokerKGB, FrostII and Time Lord like this.
  6. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:eek: And give me that vegetable powered space cannon too!
    [​IMG]
    (from Ultima the Savage Empire... but not the vegetable thing, I just through that in because we need something productive to do with our mass vegetables).
    As far as I know, we can still sell cotton to npcs, it was every other crop that got de-valued to 1g. Taking everything and leaving cotton made no sense to me at all.
    ~TL~

7. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

I think you're the one who doesn't like peppers, you're the one who wants to grow them only to throw them out! :p

Why can't you make food with them? Don't they grow new deco plants now? You can sell those, plenty of people don't farm (like me) but want to use these new decos for their home!

I agree though, those supply boxes are a great idea for turning in crops, @Elgarion can probably think about a way to incorporate this!

Agreed, let's drop Cotton prices to 1 as well :D:p, jokes aside, no clue why that kept its value,seems pretty weird to me too, but at least you still have that one crop that makes money.

one question for you farmers though : If your goal is to make money off of your crops, does it really matter if it's cotton or peppers or what not? At least now you have a choice, grow cotton for NPC trash, or grow other crops for your Vendor if you decide to have one.

8. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Actually, as I pressed post I figured it out! All those other crops don't have an easily available and gatherable source for them, meanwhile cotton is gathered a lot in the wild (to find beetles!) So by turning the other crops price to 1, it encourages player vendoring them, meanwhile who cares about vendor trashing cotton since it is easily found on you adventures!

Maybe?

Lord Stein, SmokerKGB, Tirrag and 2 others like this.
  9. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG]
    We don't need to tone down our agriculture, we need to beef it up!

While some may think that dumping all our mass agriculture into a box to nowhere seems like a good idea, I'm really serious about this Vegetable Powered Kobold Space Cannon thing.

What's the difference between dumping our biologicals into a box headed to nowhere, and dumping it into a box to bio-fuel a space cannon? A space cannon can take us places, like to hunting instances on all the planets that circle our sky. It would be easy, just have a box where enough bio-fuel that would take a real week long agricultural effort from a mega-farm to make, dump that into a box next to something that looks like a space cannon, enter the cannon and "boom" you and your friends are now in an instance that looks like no other with monsters that look like no other, while the sky there is nothing but overcast and a return cannon. Timing scheduals (just like in the agriculture that got you and your friends there) of what planet is high in the New Britannia sky to go to and how much time you had once you're there before returning.

We need Bio-Fuel and this is just one example of how far-out stuff could be that uses that fuel.
    Did you get "The Farmer Astronaut" Movie reference I made there o_O?
    ~Time Lord~

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
    SmokerKGB likes this.
  10. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I think one part of the agriculture equation that seems to be missing is more crops grown for the various foods. But other than pet food, food seems to be barely if even used (based on the leaderboard).

Potions are getting used a lot, which also should be driving a bit of demand for that though.

SmokerKGB and Time Lord like this.
  11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I always agree with a quests and achievement system for this game. Imo most of The focus has mainly been on the combat system leaving story, ui elements, and other systems like agriculture, fishing, and our achievement/task system (never got implemented still) lagging behind without upgrades and depth added in that would have made them all far more fun, intetesting, and satisfying things to do in this game. Not to say combat is a lesser system they just ALL needed development time.

We must address all the missing incompleteness that got thrown in. To add in and be saying we'll get back to it has hurt this game all through development.

It always makes me think of an old movie Bringing up baby where Cary Grant says "I'll be with you in a minute Mr Peabody" and he never does get back to him.

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG] :DTL~

majoria70 likes this.
  13. Snowdog

Snowdog Avatar

LOL - an economy needs a thriving community. I love the game but they have screwed this game years ago .. I don't hold the current dev team responsible for the feeble community it now has but they talk about screwing the economy and wanting to make it player based gezz you need a large player base to make a game economy work and we just don't have it.

To get a large player base you would have to relaunch the game as something new. I'll stop there. A re-launch would take a load of coin

SmokerKGB likes this.
  14. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

The player base is growing and more players are joining than leaving. Just saying this is a glass half full and growing situation.

15. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Snowdog is a big negative nancy, don't worry about him when it comes to these sorts of comments :p he still enjoys the game enough to play it :p

Tahru likes this.
  16. Coswald_Dirthmire

Coswald_Dirthmire Bug Hunter

Cotton still NPC sells for 4gp each. It was always the highest return per planter slot per day crop, and is now even more profitable thanks to the changes in water consumption.

Tea used to sell to NPCs for a profit of 6.66 gp per planter slot per day (at 1x rate). Mandrake and Nightshade now sells to NPCs for a profit of 7.8gp/slot/day. More crops than ever are used in various foods and their player-vendor prices have not dropped in accordance with their cost reduction from the 10% water consumption change, making them again more profitable than ever.

As a reasonably large scale farmer (I have about 35k 0.1x spaces and 6k 1.0x spaces) I find agriculture ludicrously profitable (though I use almost all my own crops, so it saves me gold more than makes me gold) and have been working on a new Crops Exchange vendor in Arlia that buys and sells every crop at the same price to act as an exchange for farmers, giving them reliable and consistent profits and also providing easily available crops to those who want them... and there are plenty who do! Items are sold off the vendor more quickly than I can keep it stocked, even with the buy orders.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
  17. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

interesting idea! where is Arlia located?

18. Coswald_Dirthmire

Coswald_Dirthmire Bug Hunter

Just east of Nightshade Pass, by where the Lost Vale spawns

19. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I feel your pain... But you say you have 4 accounts, each must give you 900 cotos(that's what I get, on my 1 account), so are you selling the cotos? They sell fast on my vendor...

I'm a small time farmer (1 lrg, 2 md, 1 sm bed) and I craft in metals, as such, I can't make any gold by selling armor/weapons because I can't personally gather the ores fast enough, so I'm forced to purchase all my metals(and the inflated pricing is outrageous) and if I tried to sell at cost, no one is buying at those prices period(and zero profit)... So, I try and purchase using "orders", but unless I buy at close to other players sell price, I get no takers... So, metals are pretty much a monopoly for some...

Have you tried to purchase crops from players at 2g(double the NPC buy price) using purchase orders, then sell for 4g? or even buy at the old price of 4g, then sell at 8g (pretty sure the NPC do this still, they buy at 50% then sell at full retail 100%)... It's a witch getting started, but once players are established buying from you, then grow your own...

Would this make it possible to profit from farming again? Just an idea...

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:eek: "Treated Seeds and"... :):):):):) Let's just say great unique agriculture, because SOTA is unique!

OK, Sew... err... umm... So... :p Let's talk about something exciting which is coming from the thoughts of @Elgarion & @Sannio ,
    and I think they have a real good handle on what we need :D

Fast Forward to 23:20 and hear some really great comments of what direction our thinking needs to go within Agriculture :)~TL~

Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
    SmokerKGB and Tirrag like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.