Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Poor performance and memory leaks

Discussion in 'Release 3 Feedback' started by enderandrew, Feb 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I fully understand this is a very alpha build so I'm not expecting anything great. But I have a decent gaming PC (FX-8350 8 core CPU, 16 GB RAM, GTX 670) and the game is unplayably slow at max settings, even with few players on the screen and no spell effects or crazy things happening. Those max settings don't appear to have bloom, HDR, dynamic shadows, really high AA or anything crazy. Yet I can play a game like Arkham Origins at max settings on my computer with all the fancy options cranked up. So there appears to be some work to do.

I'm curious how much can be done to optimize the game.

Can you release a 64-bit client that is compiled to take advantage of decent processors?

Will running your code against a profiling tool like Valgrind help find memory leaks?

2. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Same issues for me.

Dadalama, O`Sullivan and sheetrock1 like this.
  3. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

This is definitely a problem with the game thus far, but the devs are well aware of it and they pointed out such. In the pre-release instructions on what to expect (and to not expect) they mention this very issue: Performance: We have only done rudimentary optimizations and we do not yet have a full suite of fallbacks (LODs, etc.). This means the game will be quite slow on older machines, and due to memory usage might be unstable in certain conditions (like densely decorated areas). With each release we will be doing further optimizations and adding to our fallbacks to improve performance.

Optimization is something that's not typically done until much closer to release, so I am afraid were going to see this type of thing for a while until idk, maybe beta.

Time Lord and RelExpo like this.
  4. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

Moving thread to R3 feedback sub forum.

5. Dadalama

Dadalama Avatar

the slowdown is weird on my end, while I do have an older computer (it's only a dual core with 6 gigs of ram and an old Nvidia 9600 graphics card), it doesn't seem to be using up more than 60% of my cpu and 3 or 4 gigs of ram according to the default monitor crunchbang uses. Also when I turn it off I am still using 2 gigs of ram... like it's running in the background somehow.

6. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

I've got an i7 3820 3.6GHz. 16GB of RAM. Two GTX 670s in SLI.

No issues here on max settings. CPU grab is %20, even when I am doing totally nothing at all. Memory usage is between 1.9GB and 2.4GB.

I have not really noticed an obvious memory leak as you have indicated, I'd be curious to know why you think it is leaking. I can see memory go up AND down and it has not run out of control chewing more and more and more memory so it seems decently managed to me.

7. Dadalama

Dadalama Avatar

What are you running enderandrew? Are you a linux user?

8. UnseenDragon

UnseenDragon Avatar

Compared to R2, I found the SPO to actually be smoother, but MPO to be much slower. I am using a pretty old machine.

9. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

The first person in an instance their computer acts as the master, So if they have a slow computer then that can affect your performance. "DarkStarr" in the video.
    SoTa only uses 50% of my cpu and 2gig of ram. And the fps is poor compared to singleplayer.

10. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Yes, but I have more than ample RAM, and it's not even utilizing most of it. My machine is far above minimum requirements. I can run other MMOs that are fully functional & more memory intensive without a single one of these issues. How am I to get a good look at the game when I can't even stay connected, to be able to evaluate it? If they don't do something prior to launch, that is unacceptable.

We are giving feedback. We realize (as the OP said) this is pre-Alpha and don't have high expectations. But to be able to see the world should be a logical expectation.

11. enderandrew

Windows 7 SP1. I no longer run Linux on my desktop because the primary game I run is Windows only and doesn't emulate well (SWTOR). But I do love me some Linux.

12. selbie

selbie Avatar

I found the slowdown much more to do with the number of players within a town than the actual graphics. Last time I was on, the forest village area was empty of people and the game ran silky smooth.

I think it all comes down to optimization, which Portalarium simply haven't had the time to work on yet.

13. Dadalama

Dadalama Avatar

Yeah Linux is awesome

I was just thinking it could have been a problem with Linux. It's just so weird, it plays like I'm maxing out my CPUs load but every monitor I've got says it doesn't go above 70%... and the ram usage won't go down when I shut it off. It's just stuck using 2 gigs of ram.

14. Kethron

Kethron Avatar

Slow performance here, as well. Windows 7, 6-core AMD processor, 8 GB RAM, Radeon HD 5770 x 2 - graphically superior games run much faster. I'm patient, because I know the game hasn't been optimized, but I wanted to give my feedback, regardless.

15. jlpicard2

jlpicard2 Avatar

Whether the performance is in multiplayer or singleplayer would be useful. The performance is radically different for me between multiplayer and singleplayer. The game currently uses 2 cores or threads, so faster more efficient cores will help, more cores currently will currently not. Essentially, an Intel i3 or faster will outperform a AMD processor, as you can not use the extra cores right now.

16. enderandrew

At per core power, my AMD FX-8350 outperforms comparable i5's by 30% and is almost as fast as i7's that cost twice as much actually. I'm guessing you haven't looked at Vishera benchmarks.

17. Dadalama

Dadalama Avatar

so my 2.5 ghz dual core is basically running like a 2.5 single core... that explains it.

18. jlpicard2

jlpicard2 Avatar

Yes, I have, and this game currently uses 2 cores. Faster more efficient cores are currently helpful here. See how much faster the i5 runs compared to the FX-8350 on the single threaded iTunes Benchmark. On heavily multithreaded programs, where you can utilize the higher core count, you can have an advantage. However, with only using 2 threads or cores, Intel has the current advantage. [​IMG]

19. xlerated

xlerated Avatar

i5-4670K, 16GB RAM, GTX780 gfx... runs pretty good considering its pre alpha.

Last pre alpha I partook in, I was a stick figure running around on flat green grass with stick trees.

20. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

i5-4670K, 8GB RAM, GTX560ti, runs great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.